Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement battery $2500!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 09:23 PM
67SSWT
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

If the battery is $2500, what will the electronics cost on the RWS package when they go bad?
Just saying after being quoted $2700 on my Cayenne for a fried amp due to it getting wet from a sunroof drain while on "warranty".
This amongst other glitches on our two Cayenne's.
Using the KISS method (no optional electronics) on my GTS build, for what ever that's worth
Old 02-25-2022, 10:06 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by orthobird
i just purchased a 2019 Turbo s with 5900 miles, arrives tomorrow:

Should I replace battery before it goes south?

That is a Lead/Acid Battery in the images you show... but neither Lead nor Lithium should be replaced until you experiance and issue, or if you want to upgrade it in the future to Lithium. In most circumstances you won't experiance an issue, but in your case since it not a Lithium Battery you can actually upgrade to Lithium when you feel the need. Benefits of Lithium are about a 35lbs wieght savings, and offer a much longer lifespan and also some have built-in Jump starting (Antigravity). But don't worry about your batteries until you actually have issues for the most part. I see you only have 2 posts here... best ust drive your Car and learn about it, but dont pay much attention to some of this stuff until you actually have any issue, but it alwatys good to have the info for future reference.

The following 2 users liked this post by Antigravity:
HerrDr (11-14-2022), peterdouglas (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 10:48 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by 67SSWT
If the battery is $2500, what will the electronics cost on the RWS package when they go bad?
Just saying after being quoted $2700 on my Cayenne for a fried amp due to it getting wet from a sunroof drain while on "warranty".
This amongst other glitches on our two Cayenne's.
Using the KISS method (no optional electronics) on my GTS build, for what ever that's worth
Before my car locked, I did a very thorough investigation talking to my service adviser at the dealership and reading every article or complaint I could find on the Internet. By the way, Porsche refers to is as RAS (rear axle steer). First off, RAS has been around more than a decade on Porsche….on several of it’s models (not just 911). It’s also found on other brands, besides Porsche. From what I can find, and heard, it’s very reliable, and probably will outlive the life of the car for most. The battery is suppose to last 10-12 years, which given the rapid evolution of cars, is probably longer than most on here will keep their 992.

The take-away:

https://www.pca.org/news/if-the-pors...-pca-tech-tips

Old 02-27-2022, 10:59 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Just bought the CTEK Comfort Indicator eyelet to hardwire to my Lithium battery for my CTEK battery charger.

I travel quite a bit for business and pleasure so need to make sure we keep battery alive

$2500 not cheap to replace

Last edited by Jimmy-D; 02-27-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:05 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Just bought the CTEK Comfort Indicator eyelet to hardwire to my Lithium battery for my CTEK battery charger.

I travel quite a bit for business and pleasure so need to make sure we keep battery alive

$2500 not cheap to replace

Ya know, before I started to follow the threads on here concerning the Li battery, I never put my car on a tender. In fact, have never put any car I’ve ever owned on a tender. I felt I always drove my cars enough to keep them charged. Let the alternator do the work. 👍. The longest I have ever gone without driving my 992 (with the LiPO4 battery) was 3 weeks during a trip to Iceland. Came back and started right up. No problem. Maybe I was lucky, or ,maybe there’s a lot of hype going around? The time I worry most with a battery is when I see the voltage drop below 12v, and/ or the battery is over 4-5 years old. Sill on my original M4 battery, after 6 years.

Yes, $2400 is a lot of money…but wasn’t really surprised because EVERYTHING Porsche touches is a lot of money. If it lives 10-12 years, as advertised, I’m happy.

What I’m waiting for is someone on here to actually replace their LiPO4 battery with a non-Li battery if it goes dead. I want to hear the stories about any potential differences with a different batter?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-27-2022 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:11 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

I hope Antigravity can develop a Lithium replacement some time down the road.

Bet thee would sell quite a few of them. Porsche Lithium batteries have been questionable in the past and I do not believe any thing has changed.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:29 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I hope Antigravity can develop a Lithium replacement some time down the road.

Bet thee would sell quite a few of them. Porsche Lithium batteries have been questionable in the past and I do not believe any thing has changed.
Agree. But as the anti-gravity spokesman mention a while ago…they already have a replacement Li battery at a much lower cost….but the issue is the “proprietary” software Porsche uses to interface the battery information to the car;’s systems. Have not seen what would happen if their battery was used, anyway? Still work, but wouldn’t display any battery info? Not sure?

This kind of reminds me of what Apple did to keep control…but it restricted the development of needed software for the apple computers. For a while, it looked like Apple would lose the battle against Microsoft based systems.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-27-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:47 AM
BudFox6
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 44 Posts

I purchased a Porsche battery maintainer from the dealership, and yes, mksz51, the cost came in $100 more than an Amazon non-Porsche battery maintainer.

Back home, I plugged the maintainer into the car, then into a wall socket, and selected the lithium battery mode. The maintainer status gauge indicated my battery had a low charge (see photo). The status surprised me, as I drive my car a few times a week around town and completed a 50-minute round-trip drive to the dealership twenty minutes earlier. The maintainer switched off a few hours later, indicating a full charge.

While at the dealership, I asked the parts tech about the cost of a new battery. The tech said they weighed in around $2,500 and just under $3,000 installed. The tech added not keeping the battery charged leads to failure. Poor battery maintenance can result in warranty denial, but couldn't imagine a customer in their dealership with a car under warranty paying for a new battery.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:59 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by BudFox6
I purchased a Porsche battery maintainer from the dealership, and yes, mksz51, the cost came in $100 more than an Amazon non-Porsche battery maintainer.

Back home, I plugged the maintainer into the car, then into a wall socket, and selected the lithium battery mode. The maintainer status gauge indicated my battery had a low charge (see photo). The status surprised me, as I drive my car a few times a week around town and completed a 50-minute round-trip drive to the dealership twenty minutes earlier. The maintainer switched off a few hours later, indicating a full charge.

While at the dealership, I asked the parts tech about the cost of a new battery. The tech said they weighed in around $2,500 and just under $3,000 installed. The tech added not keeping the battery charged leads to failure. Poor battery maintenance can result in warranty denial, but couldn't imagine a customer in their dealership with a car under warranty paying for a new battery.

The battery showing low doesn’t necessarily mean it’s low as in failing. After some time on the maintainer it will keep climbing to the full charge state and it will stay there, battery cycle down and up which is good. If it stays low that’s a problem ……..whenever I drive my cars and place on maintainer it does what you’re showing, but after a few hours it will show full. I use them because my cars are more for pleasure and not daily drivers so you should be fine.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:04 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

No offense, but this point has already been discussed - to death - above.

The truth, and I’d be willing to bet….Porsche can NOT void your battery warranty because, for whatever reason, you forgot to keep it charged up. If the service rep said that, next time you’re in the shop…ask him to show you where it says that, in writing, in the battery warranty. As far as I am aware, not such disclaimer in the warranty exists. And if it ain’t in writing, it ain’t enforceable. Everything that;s in the warranty are “recommendations” and “helpful hints” to avoid a discharged battery. Period. Enjoy the battery and don’t worry.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-27-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:20 PM
BudFox6
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for further beating the topic to death Cody Big Dog.
The following 5 users liked this post by BudFox6:
Drew46 (02-27-2022), Maverick787 (02-27-2022), Skarz (02-27-2022), surquhar (02-28-2022), tooloud10 (12-29-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 12:35 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Thanks for further beating the topic to death Cody Big Dog.
..and I’m sure it won’t be the last time. Despite what people might read on here, or what their SA says, people need to carefully read their warranties (if that’s an issue for them?), before they get concerned abut what they’ve heard.

Porsche’s warranty “recommendations” are just common sense suggestion. Keep you battery charged up if you want to avoid coming out one morning to a dead battery.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-27-2022 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 02:46 PM
orthobird
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

thank you Anti-gravity. I appreciate you. Just took her out for a spin and wow. The most thrilling acceleration I have ever experienced and i have driven a ferrari 308 and lamborghini jalpa and porsche 911 turbo back in the 1980's! LOL. The vehicle is amazing.
The following users liked this post:
Antigravity (02-28-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 03:26 PM
Coolwnc
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Coolwnc- Thanks for starting this discussion. The many constructive comments opened my eyes to potential 992 battery issues. My car has RAS, and apparently, a battery susceptible to leaving me stranded.

I have noticed a PCM message saying, in effect, "turn your radio off to avoid battery damage" when sitting in the vehicle with the ignition off and the radio on. I get the same general message in my wife's Macan Turbo. (I wonder if the Macan has the same battery issues?)

I will call the dealer and order a battery charger today. In my brief time on this board, this is the first post causing me to take action concerning my car.

Thanks again for kicking this anthill, Coolwnc.
Thanks! I have a 997.1 but I drive it at least every few days. As you saw on the opening of this thread I put this on for a friend with a 992 4CS. He is 86 years old and was not aware of the battery short comings. The last thing I told him was to contact his salesman who he has bought 10 PORSCHES from to see if they would cover this for " Good Will " gester!. Stay tuned.....

Last edited by Coolwnc; 02-27-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:55 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Coolwnc
He is 86 years old and was not aware of the battery short comings....
As far as I am aware, the only “shortcoming” associated with the LiPO4 battery is the high cost when you do have to replace. Hopefully, that changes with time? For the higher cost, you get two benefit: (1) Significantly lighter and (2) Significantly longer lifetime, per Porsche documentation. But I doubt anybody will argue it’s worth the significantly higher cost, nevertheless, that’s a moot point when ordering a new Porsche with RAS, or live in Canada - as it comes with the car, and I don’t believe you have the option to unselect the Li battery?

By the way, when we lived in Charlotte, our house was on Lake Norman @The Peninsula. Exit 28, I believe? So an exit or two up from you? Never warmed up to the NASCAR crowd that permitted the area. But lake living was a lot of fun. I remember when we first moved there, our real estate agent, who had a thick Southern accent said to us, after telling her we were interested in houses either on the lake, or on a golf course….she said, and I quote, “Allan, they will always be building more golf course, but they ain’t making anymore water”. Best local wisdom I ever received!

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-28-2022 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacement battery $2500!