Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running Sport Cats and Headers only? (wPSE)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 02:00 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,518 Likes on 545 Posts

The exhaust systems making the biggest power are ones that are a true 3", valve-less, and have an x-pipe where the two banks blend together.

Systems that are valved have a small bottleneck there, and any divorced systems also lose power and torque. These are units that have split banks, meaning each exhaust exit is just 3 cylinders of exhaust rather than 6. It also has a "pulsey" sound on the divorced ones. The x-pipe ones make more power and they also sound better. Sound preference is relative as well, so take that opinion on sound with a grain of salt. But a true flat 6 Porsche sound is typically always blended banks.

We have also found in our testing that aftermarket headers tend to lose power. EMAP gets higher and puts pressure on the wrong side of the turbo. We have actually installed aftermarket EMAP sensors on headers for testing to confirm our findings. The OEM doublewalled and port-matched headers from Porsche work fantastic, and there is no reason to change them out, even with upgraded turbos. Perhaps in the future an aftermarket solution will come out that lowers EMAP and gives better power, but for now we recommend to stick with stock headers.

-Charles@M
The following 6 users liked this post by M Engineering:
AlterZgo (01-08-2023), Andy2021 (01-07-2023), Fullyield (01-07-2023), Master Deep (01-05-2023), tourenwagen (01-05-2023), Wilder (05-14-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-05-2023, 03:17 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,319 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Awesome info Charles, thank-you.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:17 PM
eicandanedo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is anyone running aftermarket cats/headers with pse? Thought I would have a chance to hear some clips on this thread but looks like it veered off the main question.
Old 01-07-2023, 10:17 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
The exhaust systems making the biggest power are ones that are a true 3", valve-less, and have an x-pipe where the two banks blend together.

Systems that are valved have a small bottleneck there, and any divorced systems also lose power and torque. These are units that have split banks, meaning each exhaust exit is just 3 cylinders of exhaust rather than 6. It also has a "pulsey" sound on the divorced ones. The x-pipe ones make more power and they also sound better. Sound preference is relative as well, so take that opinion on sound with a grain of salt. But a true flat 6 Porsche sound is typically always blended banks.

We have also found in our testing that aftermarket headers tend to lose power. EMAP gets higher and puts pressure on the wrong side of the turbo. We have actually installed aftermarket EMAP sensors on headers for testing to confirm our findings. The OEM doublewalled and port-matched headers from Porsche work fantastic, and there is no reason to change them out, even with upgraded turbos. Perhaps in the future an aftermarket solution will come out that lowers EMAP and gives better power, but for now we recommend to stick with stock headers.

-Charles@M
Thank you Charles. Several months back I asked John Gaydos of Soul Performance whether I should install headers on my 992S. His opinion was same as yours above that the stock headers on the 992 were very good.
Old 01-07-2023, 10:46 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Thank you Charles. Several months back I asked John Gaydos of Soul Performance whether I should install headers on my 992S. His opinion was same as yours above that the stock headers on the 992 were very good.
So why do they make headers for the 992 and claim they make more power?
Old 02-16-2023, 09:12 AM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

-Charles@M
Thanks for bursting the bubble Charles. I was thinking of getting into some headers but that appears to be a lateral move. I’d imagine the sound of the engine would improve with aftermarket headers. Unfortunate that you can lose power. Stock PSE with valves open 100% sounds great but coming from a 3RS you end up missing that howl
Old 02-16-2023, 08:30 PM
Bezlar
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
So why do they make headers for the 992 and claim they make more power?
to separate fools from their money.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (02-16-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 10:35 AM
TEST DRyVer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

-Charles@M
Hi Charles,
I’ve read your team mentioning this before. I’ve also seen other well studied brands that happen offer headers, also claim that modern Porsche headers are difficult to beat in terms of extracting power. Of course, that is not mentioned in the advertisement for their headers for obvious reasons. I have done quite a bit of research on tunes for and modifications for the 992. Your team seems to have done their homework and cross referenced it with other brands. I have a Carrera T build that just locked and plan to have a few parts waiting for installation before the car arrives. Your ECU tune is at the top of that list, but what’s your opinion on high-flo cats, Plenum, and air filters (filters only because I’m ordering wheels and the tech will have the rear end torn apart anyway)? Of course, a tune would be immediately downloaded after the parts are installed. Also, do you recommend a 500 mile break-in before bolt-ons and ECU tune?
The goal is added reliable power, increased sound with minimal drone or smell, and OEM like drivability when driven in a calm manner.
Thanks,
Emil

Last edited by TEST DRyVer; 07-24-2023 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Added info

Quick Reply: Anyone running Sport Cats and Headers only? (wPSE)