Sponsored by:

992 Targa GTS vs Targa 4S sound insulation

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 02:01 PM
pman3
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Question 992 Targa GTS vs Targa 4S sound insulation

Hi everyone! I'd love to ask if anyone knows if 992 Targa GTS WITHOUT "lightweight package" has limited sound insulation/deadening (if its Lauder in the cabin) in comparison to 992 Targa 4S? I can't find any official information about it and different articles across internet provide different opinions on this topic. Thanks so much for the help and I wish all of you happy new year!
Old 12-31-2021, 03:02 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 440 Posts

Correct - less sound deadening
From here
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2021...ere-24875.html
"the standard sports exhaust system is responsible for an even more emotive soundtrack, thanks to its GTS-specific set-up and the omission of some interior insulation."

I personally find the Targa GTS an interesting choice - the only real reason to get it is you like the stuff that comes with the GTS package, otherwise, you are just adding a touch more hp and some bigger brakes to the least sporty 911 (and that doesn't make the targa a bad car - cause it is beautiful, but it is probably not the car you would take to the track...)

The following users liked this post:
pman3 (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 03:16 PM
pman3
Instructor

doug_999, thank you so much for the answer! I'm not planning to take my car to the track – I love the look of Targa and I would love to drive it sometimes with the roof open, but also, I'm kind of sound-sensitive – I like the engine sound, but I also appreciate it being more silent than the 992 convertible when the roof is closed. This is also where my question comes from – probably unlike most of the people here, I appreciate my car to be not too noisy, especially when cruising long distances (the older I am, the more I believe this is kind of a medical condition – too loud sounds are just painful to me, however, I was driving 992 4S and it was OK for me, but close to the limit of the cabin noise I could accept).

I'm considering Targa GTS mainly because I'd be able to get it 6+ months earlier than Targa 4S – currently, the waiting time is crazy. Also, bigger brakes and nicer rims are cool too, but definitely this is not the biggest selling point for me (btw, don't you think the brakes 4S -> GTS are worth the upgrade?). If I could have both versions delivered in similar times, I think I'd pick 4S instead though.

A follow-up question – the article that you cited mentions the sport exhaust, which by default has less sound insulation (as far as I know). Is the GTS version's sport exhaust even louder in the cabin than the 4S's one?

Last edited by pman3; 12-31-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 03:30 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

I agree - I make a lot of calls in my car, and the last thing I want is it to be any more noisy (I do find the 4S to be well insulated with the exception of the rocks hitting up near the rear tires - but that's rare) - in other words, I think we are both old

I also agree, the Targa GTS 6 months earlier is not a bad thing. I just don't know the answer to your follow-up question. The sport exhaust on the GTS is obviously tuned differently, just not sure if that means louder or deeper or what. Trying to find a 4S and GTS targa to drive back to back .. well that might be just about impossible

and regarding the brakes -no, I don't think they are worth it if you are not tracking the car. The standard brakes on the 911S are amazing - especially if you are not taking it to the track. But if I took my car to the track a lot, I might go for the GTS and might go for the 2WD version. Alas, I'm in Chicago and don't take it to the track so 4S it is

I also change my wheels/tires twice a year and the center locks - while looking so cool - scare me

pman3 (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 03:44 PM
pman3
Instructor

Originally Posted by doug_999
[...] in other words, I think we are both old
It might be the case!

The sport exhaust on the GTS is obviously tuned differently, just not sure if that means louder or deeper or what.
That was exactly my thinking here. What's interesting is that I asked international Porsche support about it, but they replied to me that they "rely on our authorized Porsche dealerships as our technical resource. With specialized training and support from the factory, the service department would be in the best position to address any questions you have". So I asked three dealerships about it already, and all of them replied that they don't know it. TBH I feel strange that I can't get this information from Porsche. Anyway, it seems that 4S without sport exhaust would be my best bet here. I still might choose GTS if the waiting time difference will be so big (to be confirmed beginning of the Jan)

Regarding the brakes – thanks for the info, good to know that! In such a case, this becomes even smaller selling point of GTS for me! I definitely want 4-wheel drive, I live in Poland and our winters are similar to the ones in Chicago. And that's right, the center locks look so cool, but yeah, I can imagine the trouble I'd have every 6 months with them

doug_999, thanks again for your help and time, I really appreciate it!
Old 12-31-2021, 04:20 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pman3
Anyway, it seems that 4S without sport exhaust would be my best bet here. I still might choose GTS if the waiting time difference will be so big (to be confirmed beginning of the Jan)
For me, the sport exhaust is kind of cool - it is not much louder, but you can at least notice the car has an exhaust Worth the money? No way - but I don't regret it and so many 911 options aren't worth the money and we still get them
The quad exhaust is a lot more noticeable than the sport tips (from a looks perspective) - to me however, the 992 quad tips just seem to stick out a touch too far and as opposed to the 991.2, where I think the sport exhaust just looked silly, I think it looks nice on the 922.

long story short - I suspect you will be very happy with either car. The wait is half the fun BTW.

Happy New Year!
pman3 (12-31-2021)
Old 01-03-2022, 10:59 PM
Flilow
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally find the Targa GTS an interesting choice - the only real reason to get it is you like the stuff that comes with the GTS package, otherwise, you are just adding a touch more hp and some bigger brakes to the least sporty 911 (and that doesn't make the targa a bad car - cause it is beautiful, but it is probably not the car you would take to the track...)
Within the 991.2 GTS models, the Targa was the most sold variant.

Quick Reply: 992 Targa GTS vs Targa 4S sound insulation