Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What’s the best driving school experience?
Porsche Sport Driving School / Experience Center
44.74%
BMW Performance Driving School
7.89%
AMG Academy
5.26%
Skip Barber
18.42%
Bondurant
2.63%
Other, see comments
21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

BMW M Driving School vs Porsche Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021 | 12:15 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Done both.

BMW M School at Thermal, CA and PECLA

For QPR, definitely BMW.
Agreed 100%
Old 12-11-2021 | 12:36 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
The Porsche instructors at the local events are 90+% the same people every time.

Years ago when I was coming through the ranks I had the same instructor for three events in a row and another two instructors for two events in a row each. All totaled I spent over 50 hours on track with those three people. There is no way you can match that consistency and seat time at the BMW program and driving an M4 on the limit is not the visceral experience tracking a 911 is.

The PCA instructors are all top notch. It takes years of education and hard work to become a PCA instructor and the event head instructor makes sure every novice driver knows that if they are unhappy with their instructor for any reason they can switch, no questions asked.

911s were built to be driven on track and once you do it you will be back for more. The events in my region are always full with additional folks on wait lists hoping soon cancels. There is nothing like driving your Porsche the way it was meant to driven, and only the place to do that is on track. That is why you see plenty brand new GT3, Turbos and Carreras at events, it's the only way to truly enjoy them. Wear and tear is really not an issue.

A 911 that isn't driven on track is sad 911.

As I said, there are many different organizations that offer driver educational programs on the track. I suspect there are differences between all of them, but I can only speak to the BMW high performance driving course I attended at BMW’s South Carolina facility. I found the experience to be excellent, and at the end of my 3 days, I drove away with no wear and tear on my car, and hopefully, a better, more skilled driver. I do plan to attend a Porsche high performance driving program sometime this Spring. I expect it to be excellent, as well. But I’ll evaluate for myself after I complete the program.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 12-11-2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-11-2021 | 01:27 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I researched a lot about driving schools. At the level I was I found the Porsche to be the best cost/benefit, considering that you will always drive something appropriate. Now I'd like to try a rally school and open wheel. Learn how to rely on aero is a different level.

Last edited by John Mclane; 12-11-2021 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-11-2021 | 02:00 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

The best drivers school I’m aware of and have participated in is the San Francisco Region SCCA annual driver’s school. The amount of time and the quality of the instruction is simply tough to beat IMHO. This was a full five day program held at Sears Point. BYO Tech Certified race car or rent one. It’s not a “Drive your Street Car” program.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 12-11-2021 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-11-2021 | 06:19 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Got this from Porsche. In my email inbox:

https://www.porschedriving.com/track-experience/courses

Has anybody tried this?
The following users liked this post:
ryandarr1979 (12-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021 | 06:55 PM
NastyHabits
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Got this from Porsche. In my email inbox:

https://www.porschedriving.com/track-experience/courses

Has anybody tried this?
Yes, have done 2 day Performance course and 2 day Masters. Both excellent, staffed with Porsche pro drivers. Most of on track drive time in Carrera S. Also, 1 session in TTS and 1 in GT4 manual. Autocross sessions in Cayman. Skid pad in CS. Braking sessions in Taycan, CS.
Performance course is lead-follow. Masters is 1st session lead-follow, then solo point to pass. Two twenty five minute track sessions in morning and 2 in afternoon both courses. Rest of time cycling thru the autocross, skid pad and braking stations.
The following users liked this post:
ryandarr1979 (12-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021 | 07:30 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by NastyHabits
Yes, have done 2 day Performance course and 2 day Masters. Both excellent, staffed with Porsche pro drivers. Most of on track drive time in Carrera S. Also, 1 session in TTS and 1 in GT4 manual. Autocross sessions in Cayman. Skid pad in CS. Braking sessions in Taycan, CS.
Performance course is lead-follow. Masters is 1st session lead-follow, then solo point to pass. Two twenty five minute track sessions in morning and 2 in afternoon both courses. Rest of time cycling thru the autocross, skid pad and braking stations.

I assume Porsche provides the vehicles? Thx

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 12-11-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2021 | 08:20 PM
NastyHabits
Rennlist Member

Correct, Porsche provides vehicles.

Quick Reply: BMW M Driving School vs Porsche Driving School