Sponsored by:

GTS Center Locking Wheels Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 03:40 PM
LSM111
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts
Default GTS Center Locking Wheels Question

I hear some people are worried about CL wheels. Are they anymore difficult than wheels with lugs should you blow a tire etc.

Pros or Cons appreciated
Old 11-28-2021, 04:58 PM
Fcassells
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 93 Posts

I’ve had a couple CL equipt cars and yes they are more difficult to deal with than regular wheel hubs , i personally have all the required tools to remove wheels in my garage but that requires intent and initiative to acquire , not the casual tool list that might just happen to be laying around the average garage.

However… THIS is a new product that could greatly simplify anyones experience with CL life…

I will for sure buy this just because it’s awesome.🤩

The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 05:02 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 800 Posts

Here's the updated HYTORC CL tool - they've changed it so it doesn't need the special nut. You should be able to buy one now, from the obsessed garage guy.

Fcassells (11-29-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 05:03 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Here's the link to the product -- afaik he has a limited quantity of these, so buy now: https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...ock-torque-gun
Old 11-28-2021, 06:11 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

I just watched this and posted it in the other, longer GTS config thread, and feel it would be helpful here as well. This guy does a great job of showing the proces, slowly, methodically removing a CL wheel, plugging a cup2 (*gasp*!), then reinstalling it. He has a couple different bars - a breaker bar, and a torque wrench. If you buy/assemble a little tire plugging kit to keep in in your frunk along side the bar, you can probably patch your tire on the go, should the need arise.

Old 11-28-2021, 06:19 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by LSM111
I hear some people are worried about CL wheels. Are they anymore difficult than wheels with lugs should you blow a tire etc.

Pros or Cons appreciated

Some 3rd party (ie not Porsche) tire repair places will NOT service CL wheels. That’s a fact.

So, if you have a tire emergency out in the middle of the sticks, good chance you might have difficulty finding somebody nearby that will touch it.
LSM111 (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 06:21 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,310 Likes on 613 Posts

I swapped for my winter wheels two weeks ago. It was the first time for me dealing with center locks and I was a bit apprehensive. But it ended up being a total breeze and just as fast as a five lug setup once you get the hang of it. All I bought this torque multiplier wrench and it works very well.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-28-2021 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:58 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 840 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Some 3rd party (ie not Porsche) tire repair places will NOT service CL wheels. That’s a fact.

So, if you have a tire emergency out in the middle of the sticks, good chance you might have difficulty finding somebody nearby that will touch it.
This ^ - and trust me, I'm wiling to race changing my 5 lug tires with someone who has center locks Watching Matt's video and how close that bar comes to the side of the car. Yikes. See @dhirm5 post above.
LSM111 (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 07:30 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doug_999
This ^ - and trust me, I'm wiling to race changing my 5 lug tires with someone who has center locks Watching Matt's video and how close that bar comes to the side of the car. Yikes. See @dhirm5 post above.
Damn my post got turned against me . At the end of the day, I think it's all much ado about nothing. We learn a couple new things, and we're richer for it.
Booth9999 (11-29-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 07:48 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,245 Likes on 1,392 Posts

short extension, problem solved.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:39 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 840 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Damn my post got turned against me . At the end of the day, I think it's all much ado about nothing. We learn a couple new things, and we're richer for it.
I think if you are a person who is around a Porsche shop (or near) then cool. But for the weekend warrior they are kind of a pain. Of course, with the right tools and experience, fine - but I don't think I'd trust Discount Tire to go changing my wheels there (and I do trust them) - and the local Porsche dealer only wants $250 to swap wheels (ahem, I sort of expect a little something "special" when someone charges me that much for swapping my wheels).

Short story, the OP asked "Are they anymore difficult than wheels with lugs should you blow a tire etc.?" and I think that's been answered. The fact is, center lock wheels look cool as chit, but they are more difficult to change than wheels with lugs should you blow a tire.
The following 2 users liked this post by doug_999:
911therapy (11-28-2021), LSM111 (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 08:42 PM
LSM111
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts

I think if you are a person who is around a Porsche shop (or near) then cool. But for the weekend warrior they are kind of a pain. Of course, with the right tools and experience, fine - but I don't think I'd trust Discount Tire to go changing my wheels there (and I do trust them) - and the local Porsche dealer only wants $250 to swap wheels (ahem, I sort of expect a little something "special" when someone charges me that much for swapping my wheels).

Short story, the OP asked "Are they anymore difficult than wheels with lugs should you blow a tire etc.?" and I think that's been answered. The fact is, center lock wheels look cool as chit, but they are more difficult to change than wheels with lugs should you blow a tire.

Thank you! This is a weekend car and exactly my worry.

If I get a nail in my tire it’s easily resolved with standard wheels.

Sounds like it’s much more of a chore and flat bed to dealer with CL wheels
Old 11-29-2021, 09:05 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,651 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I just watched this and posted it in the other, longer GTS config thread, and feel it would be helpful here as well. This guy does a great job of showing the proces, slowly, methodically removing a CL wheel, plugging a cup2 (*gasp*!), then reinstalling it. He has a couple different bars - a breaker bar, and a torque wrench. If you buy/assemble a little tire plugging kit to keep in in your frunk along side the bar, you can probably patch your tire on the go, should the need arise.

I cannot imagine doing that on the side of the road.
Booth9999 (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 09:51 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Yep, you are spot on.

Someone asks a simple question, and people answer a different question. Classic.

The short answer to the OP’s question is: yes, it is more difficult than changing a wheel with lug nuts.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:16 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Yep, you are spot on.

Someone asks a simple question, and people answer a different question. Classic.

The short answer to the OP’s question is: yes, it is more difficult than changing a wheel with lug nuts.
Like anything new, the difficulty is in the learning process and some folks learn faster than others.
CanAutM3 (11-29-2021)

Quick Reply: GTS Center Locking Wheels Question