Sponsored by:

Help: Dealer change purchase to lease - Canada

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 11:06 AM
por356
Racer

Received 382 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by GuardsRed992
Thanks, I was considering that. But I'm hoping a discussion with the sales manager will clear up if this is a "misunderstanding"
Let the dealer make their profit on the original agreement and you get the car you always wanted. Good luck today, hopefully all turns out well.
The following users liked this post:
GuardsRed992 (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 11:12 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 757 Likes on 328 Posts

Thanks, I was considering that. But I'm hoping a discussion with the sales manager will clear up if this is a "misunderstanding"
I would not have even signed a right of first refusal . I ;pay cash for my car and the moment it has my name on the title I owe them nothing further . No matter what that manager says a trust was broken already . Whatever you do .. do not lease the car . Frankly ... I would ask for an immediate deposit return and start over . Get out before the drama gets worse .
The following 2 users liked this post by yrralis1:
Booth9999 (11-26-2021), KLOC (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 11:26 AM
GuardsRed992
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I would not have even signed a right of first refusal . I ;pay cash for my car and the moment it has my name on the title I owe them nothing further . No matter what that manager says a trust was broken already . Whatever you do .. do not lease the car . Frankly ... I would ask for an immediate deposit return and start over . Get out before the drama gets worse .
I don't have the title yet. I have a signed contract and promissed allocation; I am basically in step 1/4 in the My Porsche tracker. I agree with you in principle. I'll give them a chance to clarify the stance, perhaps the sales associate thought the directive was from Porsche Canada when in fact it was from him/the GM.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:49 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 539 Posts

You are taking the right approach in this market. Let them correct the situation and if you can buy it rather than lease, I would continue since you already agreed to the ROFR and are a new buyer. I had an issue with my dealer and I escalated it to the GM and he we came to an agreement that we could both live with. These are unusual times and the dealer holds the cards for the most part right now. History shows that the shoe will be on the other foot at some point in the future. If you loose this allocation and start fresh, you are likely looking at 2 years before you receive another allocation in the Canadian market.

Last edited by Onami; 11-26-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:01 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

I don't have the title yet. I have a signed contract and promissed allocation; I am basically in step 1/4 in the My Porsche tracker. I agree with you in principle. I'll give them a chance to clarify the stance, perhaps the sales associate thought the directive was from Porsche Canada when in fact it was from him/the GM.
If you pay in cash he title becomes yours . Let them clarify but you know as well as I do that something is off . Your title says "help" . A new car ought to be a happy thing . They make 11 percent on every unit so its not like they are not benefitting . Remember .. they work for you . If you walk then so what . Its just a car . You still have 120+K in your pocket and self respect . No car is worth giving that up for . There are used and CPO cars everywhere . It may not be a new car that you wanted but you don't have to suffer . The ball is always in your court . If they dont meet your needs let them stamp "sucker" on the next guy's forehead . Good Luck !! Sincerely !!
Old 11-26-2021, 12:14 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Onami
You are taking the right approach in this market. Let them correct the situation and if you can buy it rather than lease, I would continue since you already agreed to the ROFR and are a new buyer. I had an issue with my dealer and I escalated it to the GM and he we came to an agreement that we could both live with. These are unusual times and the dealer holds the cards for the most part right now. History shows that the shoe will be on the other foot at some point in the future. If you loose this allocation and start fresh, you are likely looking at 2 years before you receive another allocation in the Canadian market.
You make this sound like its the end of the world if he doesnt kiss their feet . Did you lose your backbone to call out a liar and demand honesty in a deal ? I dont even know if I could trust a "clarification" . How would he know if they sold the car from under him ? They can dangle him any way they choose . They already changed the deal . They can just say "its not here" and he will reply that "track my dream says it is " . Next thing you know 8 months pass , they still have a deposit and he has no car . The sales guy or GM could leave too . Nothing is forever .
They suck !! Thats why he wrote this thread . Thats the origin of this discussion,
Old 11-26-2021, 12:22 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 289 Posts

He can always buy out the lease I assume. The ROFR can apply still, I suppose, but call their bluff.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:24 PM
commie
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Tell us what dealer this is, or at least what province you are from. Name and Shame, so they can't pull this BS.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:30 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,101 Likes on 657 Posts

Ya, what dealer is this so we can avoid these idiots.

lots of domestic dealers won’t even sell cars or trucks for cash right now because of exporters.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:51 PM
GuardsRed992
Instructor

I won't name until I've clarified their stance. But the advice provided is very helpful

I think the biggest leverage I have is the fact that if I feel cheated..everyone I know (including you all) will know...like said above, the pendulum shifts...and I could easily see in 12-18 months excess inventory on lots due to the way supply chains have a bullwhip effect (over reaction in underproduction (during COVID) vs over reaction in overproduction (post COVID))
Old 11-26-2021, 01:07 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
You make this sound like its the end of the world if he doesnt kiss their feet . Did you lose your backbone to call out a liar and demand honesty in a deal ? I don't even know if I could trust a "clarification" . How would he know if they sold the car from under him ? They can dangle him any way they choose . They already changed the deal . They can just say "its not here" and he will reply that "track my dream says it is " . Next thing you know 8 months pass , they still have a deposit and he has no car . The sales guy or GM could leave too . Nothing is forever .
They suck !! Thats why he wrote this thread . Thats the origin of this discussion,
My backbone is just fine thank you! I refused to sign the ROFR when my SA sent me the paperwork. Worked with the GM and didn't have to sign it in the end. I wouldn't take the OP's car if I were him and they said that I had to lease it. I would walk.

My advice is to escalate his concerns and see if he can work them out like I did. If he doesn't get the resolution he is looking for, then he can walk if he likes - certainly not the end of the world! My point was that if he chooses to walk, in the Canadian market right now, he is looking at an additional 2 year wait. Some, like me, were prepared to walk and wait if I didn't get a deal that I was happy with. I know others who would rather pay up to get their car sooner.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:12 PM
commie
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

ah the Bullwhip effect. Brings back memories of my introduction to this term. lol
Fresh out of University, and attending my consulting firm's new hire orientation program, after a night out in town, and stumbling down from the hotel room to the conference room to join all the other eager beavers for the Intro to Supply Chain management seminar conducted by a famous Arizona State University professor. Loaded with morning coffee, I settled in my seat and tried my best to appear awake and following along, while i really was trying to fight off the hangover like half the people in the room.
All of a sudden, I hear this loud 'BANG' and I nearly jumped out of my seat. lol
The professor had took out his long leather whip, and did that snap to illustrate the concept of what the Bullwhip effect represents for each party in the supply chain, and its impact. That really got my attention for the rest of the seminar. It also helped that he used the 'Beer Game' simulation to help drive the concept and ways to minimize the bullwhip effect. He was a really effective instructor/facilitator.

Sorry I digress from the 911 discussions, but the Bullwhip brought back memories. lol
Old 11-26-2021, 01:42 PM
GuardsRed992
Instructor

Originally Posted by commie
ah the Bullwhip effect. Brings back memories of my introduction to this term. lol
Fresh out of University, and attending my consulting firm's new hire orientation program, after a night out in town, and stumbling down from the hotel room to the conference room to join all the other eager beavers for the Intro to Supply Chain management seminar conducted by a famous Arizona State University professor. Loaded with morning coffee, I settled in my seat and tried my best to appear awake and following along, while i really was trying to fight off the hangover like half the people in the room.
All of a sudden, I hear this loud 'BANG' and I nearly jumped out of my seat. lol
The professor had took out his long leather whip, and did that snap to illustrate the concept of what the Bullwhip effect represents for each party in the supply chain, and its impact. That really got my attention for the rest of the seminar. It also helped that he used the 'Beer Game' simulation to help drive the concept and ways to minimize the bullwhip effect. He was a really effective instructor/facilitator.

Sorry I digress from the 911 discussions, but the Bullwhip brought back memories. lol

LOL..yes, I too remember the Beer Game. :-)
Old 11-26-2021, 06:28 PM
GuardsRed992
Instructor

Quick Update: Met with the Sales Manager, he showed me the Porsche Policy. The Porsche Canada Policy is essentially a series of penalties (maybe more severe i.e. no sales incentives if there are 2 cars sold to flippers, etc) for dealers who are selling to people who end up flipping or exporting the cars. He said that although Lease isn't required from Porsche Canada, it is their store's risk mitigation policy. Apparently they had a long time customer flip a car recently causing a big issue for them.

I pushed back on the lease and he said he understands where I'm coming from. He's going to propose to the General Manager to allow me to go through a purchase agreement as planned

From my view it looks like it isn't a cash grab, but a poorly thought out risk mitigation strategy. On one hand they are a new dealer, so they don't have a reliable list of clients they can trust, on the other, you don't build trust with new customers by making them go through hoops.

They'll get back to me by Monday.
The following 3 users liked this post by GuardsRed992:
flyfisher (11-26-2021), por356 (11-26-2021), westcoastj (11-28-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 07:56 PM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 105 Posts

Quick Update: Met with the Sales Manager, he showed me the Porsche Policy. The Porsche Canada Policy is essentially a series of penalties (maybe more severe i.e. no sales incentives if there are 2 cars sold to flippers, etc) for dealers who are selling to people who end up flipping or exporting the cars. He said that although Lease isn't required from Porsche Canada, it is their store's risk mitigation policy. Apparently they had a long time customer flip a car recently causing a big issue for them.

I pushed back on the lease and he said he understands where I'm coming from. He's going to propose to the General Manager to allow me to go through a purchase agreement as planned

From my view it looks like it isn't a cash grab, but a poorly thought out risk mitigation strategy. On one hand they are a new dealer, so they don't have a reliable list of clients they can trust, on the other, you don't build trust with new customers by making them go through hoops.

They'll get back to me by Monday.
So, this new dealer is Porsche north Toronto which is a corporate owned store. You are being played around when you contacted Porsche Canada and now have just met up with your dealer .

One tells you it’s dealer discretionary selling policy that Porsche Canada has no control of and now you are getting an answer that the store will not earn any sales incentive from Porsche Canada. This is a totally messed up game and you are the fool caught in this. Sorry to say this.

note: if Porsche North Toronto is not the store in question, Pfaff Porsche Markham is new but it’s really a sister dealership of pfaff Woodbridge, most the staff came from the Woodbridge store, so I would not call it a new dealership.

Last edited by bobblehead; 11-26-2021 at 08:06 PM.
westcoastj (11-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Help: Dealer change purchase to lease - Canada