Sponsored by:

992 GTS Order Placed - MY 1ST PORSCHE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 12:07 AM
Nine_thousand
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by oshuwah
NICE! Ok, so the ONE thing I did not spec (which I wanted) was the EU delivery. I had big plans to do a road trip from Germany > Switzerland > Northern Italy to the new Porsche Experience center (then drop the car in Italy). BUT for whatever reason I could not spec it. My dealer said they were not doing EU delivery right now due to Covid? My one consolation is I won't have to worry about driving a non-PPF'd car around. I'm a little OCD and would have worried about scratches etc. My thinking is I could still do the trip and just rent a car. We just came back from a two week trip in switzerland and norther italy two months ago. It was epic.
Oshuwah if you want to continue to explore the possibility of European Delivery, I read a post on the dedicated European Delivery/Porsche Experience Center forum that for the US, European Deliveries were on hold but that PCNA would make a decision in January about starting them again spring of 2022. Not sure the timing of your build but maybe that would work for you.

From what I have read on that forum and from personal experience, some dealers are not very keen on doing European Delivery so you may need to push a little...

To solve your PPF concerns, some of the posters on the dedicated ED forum have used local companies in either Leipzig or Stuttgart to apply PPF for them, Or you can do what I did, take some PPF film from the shop I use at home and apply it myself. Not beautiful, but fast and free (the trick is to use lots of Windex when you apply the film, and then squeegee it out!) And I was able to cover the high risk areas.

At autobahn and race track speeds (picture below is from a track day at Spa-Francorchamps) the bad job is invisible!

The following users liked this post:
oshuwah (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 04:59 AM
AJ_Tokyo
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr33n
Thank you so much, I would love to come check it out since there are no actual GTS's to test out in country (at least as far as I can tell). I have put in a request with the new Experience Center in Kisarazu to ask if/when they will have a GTS on site - I have heard that SA's often invite you to take a test drive at the local EC once you pony up the deposit, but wasn't offered anything (also noticed that EC delivery was not an option in the Japan configurator - any idea about this being something you can add on?).

Definitely gotta do some touring - my wife's family has a weekend place in Hakone so we head up there often. Will be a heck of a nice change hitting those roads in a 911 versus my current SUV! Perhaps we can grab a coffee sometime and talk cars, must say I've become completely obsessed since putting the deposit down and my wife is getting pretty tired of hearing about it!
Yes you are definitely welcome to see it - just minutes ago I got the call from my SA that the build date was moved up and it was just completed today!
So waiting on ship assignment but it will definitely be one of the very first batch of GTSs to be delivered to customers here.

I know of only one GTS in-country at the moment; it's Porsche Japan's press car and after a photo shoot at the PEC it's now being loaned out to journalists.
I've seen other press cars and ex-press cars at the PEC, so hopefully the GTS will be made available for reservation before long.

I was fortunate to have 2 sessions in September at the PEC in Kisarazu as part of the pre-opening before they opened October 1st - 1 session that was free from my Boxster GTS 4.0 purchase (which is also what I drove there) and 1 invite from my dealer in which I took one of their 2 Turbos hah.
The PEC here is great; I definitely recommend it (you should get a free invite about 6 months after your car is delivered).
As for PEC delivery in Japan, this is not currently offered and one of my first suggestions to Porsche Japan after going to PEC is that they should offer this.
They actually have an Exclusive Manufaktur booth at PEC (that they don't seem to be using yet) which would be perfect for it, so my hope is they offer that eventually.
Who knows, maybe by the time you get yours they will!

Consider me signed up for Hakone, and happy to grab coffee anytime - just PM me and we can get it set up!
Old 11-29-2021, 11:46 PM
oshuwah
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine_thousand
Oshuwah if you want to continue to explore the possibility of European Delivery, I read a post on the dedicated European Delivery/Porsche Experience Center forum that for the US, European Deliveries were on hold but that PCNA would make a decision in January about starting them again spring of 2022. Not sure the timing of your build but maybe that would work for you.

From what I have read on that forum and from personal experience, some dealers are not very keen on doing European Delivery so you may need to push a little...

To solve your PPF concerns, some of the posters on the dedicated ED forum have used local companies in either Leipzig or Stuttgart to apply PPF for them, Or you can do what I did, take some PPF film from the shop I use at home and apply it myself. Not beautiful, but fast and free (the trick is to use lots of Windex when you apply the film, and then squeegee it out!) And I was able to cover the high risk areas.

At autobahn and race track speeds (picture below is from a track day at Spa-Francorchamps) the bad job is invisible!
Wow - ok thank you for the heads up. I just checked and I have about 60 days to lock my spec so I will revisit EU delivery when we go to lock. I told them if I could not get it on this one that I would get it on the next (GT3). I did read somewhere on the forum that dealers are charged $3000 for European Delivery but also given another allocation to (more than) make up for it. The GM at my local dealer pushed me to #2 on the list so I've already been shown some favor (especially since I've not purchased a Porsche before) so I don't want to push it. I'm a watch guy too - this seems just like managing my relationship with my AD 🤗🏆
Old 11-29-2021, 11:51 PM
oshuwah
Advanced

Now tracking order status ... this is as of 11/29/21

Old 11-30-2021, 12:54 AM
Nine_thousand
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 75 Posts

Now tracking order status ... this is as of 11/29/21

That’s exciting! 150 days will go fast 🙂

(It took me almost my whole order timeline to get that tracking system working for me, it’s cool to see how it’s supposed to work)

And European delivery as an option for your GT3 is a great thought.
oshuwah (12-01-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 09:23 AM
911STHLM
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

@oshuwah @Gr33n

I'm absolutely delighted to see two Aventurine green GTSes!

I ordered mine this week:

I live in Stockholm, Sweden and since this is a relatively small Porsche market 911, allocations seem to be few. The dealer had one 2022 allocation left for sale for a Carrera GTS so I took it.The prices for used 992 Carrera S have gone up so the price difference between a used C2S with the right spec and a new GTS isn't that dramatic. The anticipated production for my GTS is in June 2022.

Spec:
  • Aventurine green metallic
  • Leather interior in black (full RaceTex delete)
  • 4-way sports seats plus
  • Sport design side skirts
  • PDK
  • Power steering plus
  • Turbo S wheels
  • Tinted windows
  • Heated GT steering wheel
  • BOSE

Many months to go but looking forward to posting a real pic of my GTS here and hope to see photos of its Aventurine GTS siblings here!
The following 2 users liked this post by 911STHLM:
Gr33n (12-10-2021), oshuwah (12-04-2021)
Old 01-25-2022, 11:55 PM
oshuwah
Advanced

*UPDATE*

My Spec locks this week and after many hours on the configurator and a few trips to the dealer to see customer cars in person I've made some changes. In doing so I took the risk of the changes being rejected, but as it stands now they accepted them but pushed my build out fro April to June (which is fine by me). My dealer (Porsche of the Main Line outside of Philadelphia) indicated there is a shortage on PCCB's and Porsche is not accepting builds (at least for the GTS) with PCCB's right now. That said, I already had them on my car (I had an early allocation) and Porsche accepted the other changes without losing the PCCB's

My tweaks were:
  • Drop Matrix Headlights
  • Drop Door Illuminated Sill Guards in Black Aluminum
  • ADD GT Sport Steering Wheel in Matte Carbon Fibre
  • ADD Illuminated Carbon Door Sills (note I already had Carbon Mirrors which will be wrapped in Xpel Stealth so the wheel and the sills tie the 3 carbon bits together)
  • ADD Preparation for roof transport system
  • ADD extended leather door
  • ADD leather door sills
  • ADD chalk stitch
Here's the build ...

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNCX93I4

Obviously a high spec for a GTS, but it's my spec and what I want (which is a luxe daily vibe). It is also what I am calling a 'no regret spec'. For example ... would I regret not spending a couple extra grand to get actual leather door handles instead of plastic (i.e. extended leather door cards)? Yes, I would. So I spent the money. Of course that ethos leads to a lot of boxes being checked and a higher price tag. It will be worth it in that I know I've got what I wanted on my 1st P-Car. No regrets!

Last edited by oshuwah; 01-25-2022 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:45 AM
Bread Pitt
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

*UPDATE*

My Spec locks this week and after many hours on the configurator and a few trips to the dealer to see customer cars in person I've made some changes. In doing so I took the risk of the changes being rejected, but as it stands now they accepted them but pushed my build out fro April to June (which is fine by me). My dealer (Porsche of the Main Line outside of Philadelphia) indicated there is a shortage on PCCB's and Porsche is not accepting builds (at least for the GTS) with PCCB's right now. That said, I already had them on my car (I had an early allocation) and Porsche accepted the other changes without losing the PCCB's

My tweaks were:
  • Drop Matrix Headlights
  • Drop Door Illuminated Sill Guards in Black Aluminum
  • ADD GT Sport Steering Wheel in Matte Carbon Fibre
  • ADD Illuminated Carbon Door Sills (note I already had Carbon Mirrors which will be wrapped in Xpel Stealth so the wheel and the sills tie the 3 carbon bits together)
  • ADD Preparation for roof transport system
  • ADD extended leather door
  • ADD leather door sills
  • ADD chalk stitch
Here's the build ...

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNCX93I4

Obviously a high spec for a GTS, but it's my spec and what I want (which is a luxe daily vibe). It is also what I am calling a 'no regret spec'. For example ... would I regret not spending a couple extra grand to get actual leather door handles instead of plastic (i.e. extended leather door cards)? Yes, I would. So I spent the money. Of course that ethos leads to a lot of boxes being checked and a higher price tag. It will be worth it in that I know I've got what I wanted on my 1st P-Car. No regrets!
Beautiful spec and I agree with you regarding the "no regret spec"! Curious if there was any specific reason for dropping the Matrix headlights? I got them on mine, but I keep going back and forth.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:01 AM
oshuwah
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bread Pitt
Beautiful spec and I agree with you regarding the "no regret spec"! Curious if there was any specific reason for dropping the Matrix headlights? I got them on mine, but I keep going back and forth.
I dropped them because they do not have any additional functionality in the US market (as of now). That could change as regulations change. But I thought it better to put that $1800.. $1850? towards something I touch and interact with everyday. Like the door cards. Actually on that note ... the upgrades to the steering wheel, PDK shifter, Painted Key, extended leather etc were all justified (in my mind) by the idea that I touch and interact with those items every time I drive the car...so I wanted them to be premium (especially at this price).
Old 01-26-2022, 10:24 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Beautiful build. You included some things that I passed on and passed on some things I chose. To me that is part of the entire experience of ordering a car exactly the way you want it. I know myself and I will always think about what I didn't include and will never think about the $5K that's not in my savings account.

Old 01-26-2022, 02:06 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

For true no regret spec, you need to ditch the wheel change from the GTS centre locks, and add the missing pedal.
txpackers (01-27-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 02:22 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 256 Posts
Default 1,

Originally Posted by dhirm5
For true no regret spec, you need to ditch the wheel change from the GTS centre locks, and add the missing pedal.
Agree on the center locks. They are a key distinguishing component of the GTS. What's the reason for ditching them for a "common" wheel choice available on any 911? They are bit more of a hassle, but they are so much more unique and special. As for the manual v. PDK, I'm a bit more ambivalent. If paddle shifters and dual clutch gearboxes are good enough for F1, who are we to complain. Manual mode on the PDK is simply awesome. And in sport mode, it works like magic and betters my best heal-toe ever.
Yojeffo (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 06:09 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
Agree on the center locks. They are a key distinguishing component of the GTS. What's the reason for ditching them for a "common" wheel choice available on any 911? They are bit more of a hassle, but they are so much more unique and special. As for the manual v. PDK, I'm a bit more ambivalent. If paddle shifters and dual clutch gearboxes are good enough for F1, who are we to complain. Manual mode on the PDK is simply awesome. And in sport mode, it works like magic and betters my best heal-toe ever.
I am not buying the car to distinguish myself from the "common". I don't like the looks of the CL wheel 9at least the one option) offered and I certainly don't like the idea of driving around with a wheel that the average rural shop can't take off to mount a new tire. I spend a lot of time in VT and the closest dealership is over 60 mile away - as i suspect is the closest shop that could deal with CLs.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:16 PM
Riazah
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
I am not buying the car to distinguish myself from the "common". I don't like the looks of the CL wheel 9at least the one option) offered and I certainly don't like the idea of driving around with a wheel that the average rural shop can't take off to mount a new tire. I spend a lot of time in VT and the closest dealership is over 60 mile away - as i suspect is the closest shop that could deal with CLs.
Ditto
Old 01-27-2022, 12:46 AM
oshuwah
Advanced

Originally Posted by dhirm5
ahh the center locks … yes I would have spec’d them if they weren’t hideous. I legit hate them 🥴🤷‍♂️ So it’s the RS wheels which will be hard to clean but at least look right on the car. I actually looked into doing the CL’s and buying a set of GT3 wheels off eBay but they won’t actually fit a GTS. I’ve seen a 992 GT3 in person and the wheel and tire set up looks amazing (as does the overall stance).

as for manual I’ve hand countless manual cars and never owned a DCT. The PDK is legendary and I want to experience that. Plus it’s faster … 😎

Quick Reply: 992 GTS Order Placed - MY 1ST PORSCHE!