Sponsored by:

Chip locations after about 30k miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 01:29 AM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I’ve got about 30k miles on my C4S. Given that Aventurine Green is such a dynamic color, I didn’t want to risk losing that depth with PPF. So, I went with paint correction and ceramic coating. It’s held up great and the car looks amazing. The paint finish remains completely swirl and scratch free. I only hand wash, two bucket method, and do all of the detailing myself as a matter of therapy.

With that, I knew that there would be a couple of chips along the way. After two years of all season driving, it’s clear that the car isn’t a chip magnet. The annotated Porsche image below highlights all of the chips on the car, none larger than the dot that you would make with a pen. A detailer would spot them, but the average person wouldn’t notice them unless I pointed them out. The surprising part is that so many are at the rear of the car — something to consider if you were just planning to put PPF on the front of your 911.

Chips at the front of the car
  • Near the right headlight, tiny mark left by a bolt hitting the car at speed.
  • Hood was hit by a small screw that bounced off of the hood and onto the windshield
  • Rock chip outside the left headlight
Windshield
  • Small benign chip near the top of the windshield, invisible from the inside.
  • Last week, a lug nut from the opposing lane hit the windshield so hard that I thought for sure it would break. I got lucky, because it glanced off the windshield leaving two tiny marks after I cleaned off the black mark that it left. I don’t want to do that one again, but I am happy that it hit the windshield instead of something metal/paint.
Rear of the car
  • A couple of chips landed within a centimeter above the factory chip guard on the passenger side, one of those is just above it. Given the abuse that the factory chip guard takes, I am glad that it is there, but if it was slightly taller, I would have two less chips. 😜
  • Top of the right fender picked up a chip small enough that I was in denial for a while that it was there. It’s most obvious when the car is clean.
  • Driver’s side rear fender recently picked up a chip towards the rear of the panel.
  • Back of the car picked up a rock chip. I didn’t expect to find one there, but from other cars, it can happen.

Additional notes
  • These are all tiny. At some point, I could have them all addressed. A good chip repair guy would make quick work of them.
  • As mentioned above, most them are at the back of the car. If I was doing PPF on a 992, I would do the whole car or not bother at all.
  • Car is driven on a wide variety of roads and speeds. It’s been on the pandemic autobahn 😉, seeing sustained high rates of speed over very long distances.
  • Porsche is intentional where it puts black plastic. SPASM splitter, front fascia, sills, and lower mirror trim, clearly take hits, but they’re black plastic which hides the impacts. I have the standard front fascia, side sills, and mirror trim.
Thanks for teaching all of us. I wouldn't have known the chips mostly show up in the rear

What is paint correction? Do you think ceramic coating is helpful mainly to keep the car clean?
Old 11-01-2022, 11:06 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Just a heads up. I've recently found a PPF that actually enhances the look of the finish - unless you're keeping your car pristine at all times. ClearGuard Alpha is an amazing film that I had on my 992 TTS. There are videos out there about its self healing property (self heals without heat or sun) and the surface and gloss is the best I've seen. After 8000 miles and 14 times through a regular automated car wash in the TTS the protected gloss black areas showed absolutely no micro scratches or swirls.

Just to illustrate, since it's a better way of truly understanding this film - this is a photo I took of the gloss black painted section behind the sunroof which shows the reflection of the ceiling of my garage and the garage door opener. It's like a mirror (again, after 8000 miles and 14 car washes).

Last edited by Dr. G; 11-01-2022 at 11:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
balucipher (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 05:41 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 680 Likes on 441 Posts

Only 14 washes? That's weak, you need to step up your washing game.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:03 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
Only 14 washes? That's weak, you need to step up your washing game.
Considering I did those 8000 miles in a little over 5 months, I think my washing game is on point

Quick Reply: Chip locations after about 30k miles