Sponsored by:

Matrix lights and US Govt approval

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 04:07 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 334 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Matrix lights and US Govt approval

It appears the bureaucrats are recognizing the superior lighting technology of the fully adaptive LED lights, although full approval is yet to be implemented.

Given the current US 911 Matrix lights only offer the same features as PDLS+, they're probably not worth it, but if they can be upgraded through software they definitely would be. Excellence magazine says in their 992 tech review that a software upgrade is possible, but my Porsche sales rep (who's very knowledgeable) says no. Which is correct?
Old 11-04-2021, 04:40 PM
jrnottarts
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm interested if they can be upgraded. I'm about to lock an order and if they can be upgraded down the line I may as well order the option now.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:12 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by F8Driver
It appears the bureaucrats are recognizing the superior lighting technology of the fully adaptive LED lights, although full approval is yet to be implemented.

Given the current US 911 Matrix lights only offer the same features as PDLS+, they're probably not worth it, but if they can be upgraded through software they definitely would be. Excellence magazine says in their 992 tech review that a software upgrade is possible, but my Porsche sales rep (who's very knowledgeable) says no. Which is correct?
If you have the necessary hardware, pretty confident it is possible to activate via software in Porsche. BMW and Mercedes cars have the same thing, but unlike Porsche, there are quite a few companies that provide coding services to “unlock” many of the cool features provided to European delivered vehicles. The matrix LED lighting is just one of several features I have unlocked on my M4. It was coded by a 3rd party…ie, I did NOT rely on BMW to “unlock” this feature. This was back in 2017.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-04-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:21 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,651 Likes on 780 Posts

I have to imagine that all the functionality is there and just needs to be "unlocked" in the coding. That was the case in my M5 and I was able have them coded on.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:12 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 334 Likes on 197 Posts

Thanks, it seems a simple coding thing and BMW’s have numerous coding hacks (I’ve owned 6, still have 2). OTOH, Porsche is notoriously proprietary; even if the change is a simple reprogramming, they’ll dress it up as an extravagant upgrade costing thousands. I’m still waiting for my allocation and I’m hoping something definitive will happen before I’m locked in. I don’t think the US matrix lights are worth $2K over the Plus LED.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:51 PM
Mcrov718
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by F8Driver

I was with my Porsche rep/dealer and he told me about how they aren’t legal BUT it can be done with a software upgrade, if ever approved an update would work. That being said, I ordered GTS Coupe and he thought it was 4 wheel standard but had to correct him. Soooo….
Old 11-04-2021, 10:08 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Too bad Porsche coders can’t offer similar “unlocks” as found on both BMW and Mercedes.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:20 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 186 Posts

I would not buy for the future, hoping for a software update. Purchase based on today's capabilities.

Even if it were possible, look at how often Porsche releases a PCM system software update its PCM... I believe it is never for 2020 992s, once for 2021 992s. If they can't bother tweaking the older PCM system software to improve HomeLink usability for common scenarios like backing out of the garage, do you really believe they would bother updating older 992s to activate (and support, service, maintain) new LED headlight capabilities in older models?
The following users liked this post:
drchip (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 09:23 AM
BillyX
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Did Porsche unlock the existing matrix lights in Canada, or did they arrive unlocked?
Old 11-05-2021, 09:40 AM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyX
Did Porsche unlock the existing matrix lights in Canada, or did they arrive unlocked?
I am in Canada. I have the matrix headlights. It's totally functional and unlocked. Transport Canada approved the use of it in 2018 and I believe the MY2019 new gen Cayenne was the first Porsche model to come with full functional matrix led.

So, there was no further study and tests to get this matrix led once approved ... unlike the US which sounds like you guys would have to wait for a few more years to get.

For my matrix headlights to work, the ideal condition would have to be in a very low-lit area (no street lightings per se)

Last edited by bobblehead; 11-05-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:39 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by bobblehead
I am in Canada. I have the matrix headlights. It's totally functional and unlocked. Transport Canada approved the use of it in 2018 and I believe the MY2019 new gen Cayenne was the first Porsche model to come with full functional matrix led.

So, there was no further study and tests to get this matrix led once approved ... unlike the US which sounds like you guys would have to wait for a few more years to get.

For my matrix headlights to work, the ideal condition would have to be in a very low-lit area (no street lightings per se)

Since the unlocked matrix is also available in Europe, and Canada…..pretty confident the only reason the US doesn’t have it is because of the US imposed restriction. Also one reason why Mercedes or BMW has not unlocked (ie, it’s unlocked by a 3rd party coder…or do it yourself if you know how to).

My M4 is unlocked (as well as several other European features), and while it works in all conditions, you are correct that it is best observed/most noticeable on back, dimly lit streets,

Finally, for those interested, there are a lot of YouTube videos that explain and show how it works…

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-05-2021 at 10:48 AM.
mikey94025 (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 10:59 AM
DNSGT3
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bobblehead

Can you confirm it works as split lighting beam instead of simply on/off the high beam?
This is what i see today, on Porsche Canada configurator about the matrix lights:
Note: Full LED-Matrix functionality (individual operation of 84 LEDs) is limited for the canadian market. Individual LEDs are programmed to operate as a single light source to perform the functions listed above
Old 11-05-2021, 11:07 AM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by DNSGT3
Can you confirm it works as split lighting beam instead of simply on/off the high beam?
This is what i see today, on Porsche Canada configurator about the matrix lights:
Note: Full LED-Matrix functionality (individual operation of 84 LEDs) is limited for the canadian market. Individual LEDs are programmed to operate as a single light source to perform the functions listed above
I have not driven enough in a totally low and unlit roads yet but I did experience momentarily on a stretch of highways that was somewhat low lit. The light beam was split.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:50 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,310 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by DNSGT3
Not sure where you found this message, but when I look at configurator, it say "US market". I'll give it to you that the configurator is not clear if the LED Matrix are fully functional in Canada. However, in my 2021 992 owner's manual, it is clearly stated that the LED Matrix headlight capabilities are fully enabled. I first learned about this in the "Good to Know" app prior purchasing my car and it is what prompted me to order the LED Matrix. In the "Good to Know" app there's a clear distinction between the USA and Canada functionalities. See screenshots below:

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-05-2021 at 12:08 PM.
bobblehead (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 12:01 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Not sure where you found this message, but in my 2021 992 owner's manual it is clearly stated that the LED Matrix headlight capabilities are fully enabled. I first learned about this in the "Good to Know" app prior purchasing my car and it is what prompted me to order the LED Matrix. In the "Good to Know" app there's a clear distinction between the USA and Canada functionalities. See screenshots below:

I have these lights on my 2021 Cayenne GTS. They work as described above exceptionally well, especially the "encounter" feature. When travelling on an undivided highway, you have leave the Matrix LED on high beam and they "look away" from the oncoming driver so you never have to switch to low beams. having said that, the car (911) drives just as well with the standard lights.
CanAutM3 (11-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Matrix lights and US Govt approval