Sponsored by:

Questions for Cab Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 09:51 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Questions for Cab Drivers

How bad is the wind buffeting in the cabin, without the Wind Deflector, which I think is ugly? How do you compare the buffeting against, say, Boxster or any other Roadster? With no cabin space behind the seats, a Roadster has much less wind swirling back from the rear deck.

I'm debating between GTS Cab and 982 Spyder. I prefer not to use the Wind Deflector, in summer. But, if I do use it, in cooler temperatures, I'm guessing buffeting is manageable? (Getting a drone-free sound in 982 Spyder is killing it's chances for me. For those who are curious about the challenges, head over to 982 GT4/Spyder Sub-Forum.)

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:36 PM
harshalp
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you do use the wind deflector, wind noise is a non issue. Actually wind in general up to 150+ is a non issue, and that'll only be if you have your seat set high up, as that was the point where wind had a few of my hairs breaking. With the deflector down its not that bad, I drive with all windows down and no deflector sometimes, I have PSE and I like to hear engine noises, I think thats a good combo. btw the Bose speakers will pump tunes clear and loud even at speed if you've got the deflector up.
The following users liked this post:
ABSFlyer36 (11-02-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 12:25 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,153 Likes on 1,467 Posts

I've had both 911 Cabs and Boxsters. The big difference is not when the top is down (there is very little), its when the top is UP. The Boxster feels claustrophobic and very cramped. I don't get why you would object to using the retractable wind blocker on the 911 (Boxsters have them as well, a piece of clear glass that is manual to install). Who cares what it looks like if it works?
Old 11-03-2021, 12:28 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by harshalp
.............. and that'll only be if you have your seat set high up, as that was the point where wind had a few of my hairs breaking. .......
You mean, setting the rear seats high up? Thanks.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:34 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drcollie
I've had both 911 Cabs and Boxsters. The big difference is not when the top is down (there is very little), its when the top is UP. The Boxster feels claustrophobic and very cramped. I don't get why you would object to using the retractable wind blocker on the 911 (Boxsters have them as well, a piece of clear glass that is manual to install). Who cares what it looks like if it works?
Good to hear difference is minimal with top down. I've a 981 gen Spyder and an S2000; all my cars but one have been Roadsters. So, actually enjoy tighter cabins. I would still use the Wind Deflector for lower temp days. Just an aesthetic preference.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:59 AM
GD214
Track Day

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Wind buffeting has not been a problem for me. I have not used the deflector. I drive mostly with all windows down but sometimes when I'm on I-5 I roll them up due to truck noise. Still no buffeting.
The following users liked this post:
sanford (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 03:49 PM
rewardforsuccess
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

not bad at all infact wind deflector up is worse, more of an annoying sound maybe not louder, but a less preferrable sound. as for the annoyance factor
its not annoying at all. in a benz e class convertible its much worse as i think twice having top down in that car. but in a porsche they do is so well its best in the business. you will enjoy it without a second thought.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:59 PM
drcollie
Race Car

I personally don't use the 992 Cab wind blocker except when it gets cold, It's very effective at stopping cold air coming in from the back.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:17 PM
kpblade
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 71 Posts

When I have top down, I don’t usually use it. Windstopper up, windows up or down, Top totally closed primarily depends on my wife’s hair and where we’re going.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:39 PM
DavidColorado
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

How tall are you? and how high do you like to set your seat? (I am 6'5") It's mostly top-of-the-head (wear a cap), and in cold weather, back of the neck.
Here's a video wherein this is addressed. Check out the wife's hair blowing around before and after raising the screen.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:11 PM
drcollie
Race Car

LOL, it's all about the wife's hair at the end of the day.....
Old 11-03-2021, 05:26 PM
kpblade
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 71 Posts

LOL, it's all about the wife's hair at the end of the day.....
Well she at least said OK for the purchase

Old 11-03-2021, 08:02 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 440 Posts

It’s fine up to around 50mph. Above that (50-70mph) I put the wind deflector up. You can’t really see it when driving other than the rear view mirror so I don’t care. Highways (70+) are windows and deflector up and I can have a conversation without raising my voice and no wind buffeting. I have something hanging off my rear view mirror and it doesn’t fly around at all.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:48 PM
DavidColorado
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

drcollie
Amen, brother.
Old 11-05-2021, 12:05 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GD214
Wind buffeting has not been a problem for me. I have not used the deflector. I drive mostly with all windows down but sometimes when I'm on I-5 I roll them up due to truck noise. Still no buffeting.
I personally don't use the 992 Cab wind blocker except when it gets cold, It's very effective at stopping cold air coming in from the back.
Good to know; thanks. I can see myself using it on colder days.

Originally Posted by rewardforsuccess
not bad at all infact wind deflector up is worse, more of an annoying sound maybe not louder, but a less preferrable sound. as for the annoyance factor
its not annoying at all. in a benz e class convertible its much worse as i think twice having top down in that car. but in a porsche they do is so well its best in the business. you will enjoy it without a second thought.
Got it; thanks. The sound could be the wind passing over the Deflector.

Originally Posted by kpblade
When I have top down, I don’t usually use it. Windstopper up, windows up or down, Top totally closed primarily depends on my wife’s hair and where we’re going.
Agree. When visiting an event/party or date night, top down driving does mess up the hair, especially hers! So, driving occasion dictates the usage.

Originally Posted by DavidColorado
How tall are you? and how high do you like to set your seat? (I am 6'5") It's mostly top-of-the-head (wear a cap), and in cold weather, back of the neck.
Here's a video wherein this is addressed. Check out the wife's hair blowing around before and after raising the screen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlH6F9fmTuM
I'm short; 5'8". But, I set the seat to lowest as I prefer closer to ground for better feel. Thanks for the video. The Deflector operation when in motion is revealing how effective it is. It probably isn't all that bad, aesthetically.

Originally Posted by Master Deep
.............You can’t really see it when driving other than the rear view mirror so I don’t care. Highways (70+) are windows and deflector up and I can have a conversation without raising my voice and no wind buffeting. ......
Thanks. Yes, I see in the posted video how effective it is.

Another question:
Have any of you converted the back seat into storage? That is, find a way to cover the converted-storage so that stored contents aren't visible with top down. For road trips, having the rear space for storage would be very helpful. This is where the Boxster shines with it's two trunks! I would love to spec Delete-Rear-Seats. So far, that's only possible for the Coupe with Light Weight Package. Probably an Exclusive Option? If not, a creative upholstery shop could find a way to install a retractable cover. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Questions for Cab Drivers