Sponsored by:

992 LEASING QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 09:41 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
There are so many posts and threads on this, because people who have leased other luxury cars, Mercedes, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Audi, BMW, etc, assume that leasing a 911 is a similar affair. Let’s be clear, it is not the same experience — unlike those other automakers, Porsche does nothing to subsidize 911 leases.

Search the threads. Unless you live in Canada and trying to dodge insane luxury car taxes, it makes zero sense to lease a 911.

Now, in response to my post, like clockwork, there will be someone trying to justify the stupid high money factor that they’re paying on their 911 by stating that they don’t have to worry about diminished value in an accident. Of course, they will fail to understand that between the money factor that they’re paying, and the set residual value, already build in that potential car accident that they may or may not have.

Someone will also chime in “a lease is really just a different type of loan”. OK, sure, a loan with a terrible interest rate and additional tax obligations in some states. You will not come out ahead on a 911 lease.

This will be followed by someone that says that they only pay cash. Then, another, that uses a Credit Union with such a low interest rate that the money is practically free. Let’s not forget the folks who pop a text to their private banker and pay less than 1% on a loan due to their considerable portfolio. There are options not available to everyone.

After these exchanges, it will all devolve into someone calling someone else grandpa. There will be some chest beating by a HENRY that doesn’t want to wait to get their 911. Gen X-er’s will step back, letting the Boomers and Millennials fight it out.

Yeah, that’s basically every 911 lease thread.

Naturally, this could all be avoided if people simply stopped shopping for cars with a monthly payment in mind.

Only 30 posts and we are already more than half way through your prophesy! If you are half as good at picking stocks a your are in predicting threads, I want to be your friend!
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
detansinn (10-29-2021), manifold danger (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 12:06 PM
Pcarnerd
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Sheesh a whole lot of strong opinions being thrown around. Just looking for some insight to see if my expectation was reasonable or not.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:29 PM
Pcarnerd
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

There are so many posts and threads on this, because people who have leased other luxury cars, Mercedes, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Audi, BMW, etc, assume that leasing a 911 is a similar affair. Let’s be clear, it is not the same experience — unlike those other automakers, Porsche does nothing to subsidize 911 leases.

Search the threads. Unless you live in Canada and trying to dodge insane luxury car taxes, it makes zero sense to lease a 911.

Now, in response to my post, like clockwork, there will be someone trying to justify the stupid high money factor that they’re paying on their 911 by stating that they don’t have to worry about diminished value in an accident. Of course, they will fail to understand that between the money factor that they’re paying, and the set residual value, already build in that potential car accident that they may or may not have.

Someone will also chime in “a lease is really just a different type of loan”. OK, sure, a loan with a terrible interest rate and additional tax obligations in some states. You will not come out ahead on a 911 lease.

This will be followed by someone that says that they only pay cash. Then, another, that uses a Credit Union with such a low interest rate that the money is practically free. Let’s not forget the folks who pop a text to their private banker and pay less than 1% on a loan due to their considerable portfolio. There are options not available to everyone.

After these exchanges, it will all devolve into someone calling someone else grandpa. There will be some chest beating by a HENRY that doesn’t want to wait to get their 911. Gen X-er’s will step back, letting the Boomers and Millennials fight it out.

Naturally, this could all be avoided if people simply stopped shopping for cars with a monthly payment in mind.
I appreciate the thoughts, my purpose for this thread if you may was too see if what I felt a C2s is worth to me in the contexts of a lease and what it actually might cost matches up.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:35 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

To me the only way a lease would make sense for anyone, is if they truly desire a vehicle and are able to purchase/finance it in any other form other than a lease and must go this route in order to cut the cost. But at the same time accepting the reality that the lease penalizes them for going this route. It effectively takes a down payment and reverses it into the residual, and increases the cost as a result of that reverse process. As a simplified way of looking at it.

The only other acceptable reason to go into a lease is as a business expense / company car situation where it is a perk/benefit or a write off. And even as a write off, if it is the driver's company that is leasing, he/she is still taking money out of the business for the lease at a disadvantageous amount, because the lease terms are inherently a poor $$ decision.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:04 PM
voyagez.fr
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 45 Posts

I think if you were to lease or purchase the vehicle, at the 3 year mark, should be roughly in a similar position give or take a few grand.

At lease end the 992 residual will be significantly lower than market value giving you some equity should you decide to sell it or keep it. Porsche sets the residual low so you are just paying more upfront during the duration of the lease.

When comparing the lease terms to Mercedes or BMW, need to keep it apples to apples. 911 leasing terms should be similar to AMG/M cars rather than the basic vehicles from those respective brands. Has anyone looked at the lease terms of an amg gt 63 lately? It will lease similar or more than a 992 while having a lower MSRP.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:31 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts

"Never let the truth get in the way of a good argument!"
Just sit back and enjoy the free entertainment
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 02:47 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcarnerd
Sheesh a whole lot of strong opinions being thrown around. Just looking for some insight to see if my expectation was reasonable or not.
In Canada, the car is a $2,500/month/36month lease deal. So if the SRPs in the US are 15% lower than in Canada, I expect you'd find yourself in the $2,200/month range.

As to lease vs buy, most people have to finance their 911 one way or the other. Either is a low interest bank loan, or lower payments through leasing (which is just paying monthly for the portion of the car you are using up). With leasing, you'll pay more interest than you could negotiate with your bank, but you hand the keys over at the end of the lease and its not your problem. Accident? No problem. bad service history? No problem. need that $150,000 to invest in your business for a 30% return? No problem. But, you pay more interest.

Leasing works for some, buying works for some. For an suv or sedan that I tend to keep 3 years, I'd probably lease. Then I don't have to care how many walls my wife hits (and the insurance company repairs) and the diminished value resulting. The 911 I'll be ordering? Its a longer hold and I'll just pay cash for it (plus my wife says she won't drive it).

The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (11-03-2021)

Quick Reply: 992 LEASING QUESTION