Sponsored by:

Dashcam battery pack worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 09:38 PM
riwu
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dashcam battery pack worth it?

According to BlackboxMyCar, using the car's battery for parking mode will degrade its life and performance.

Is it recommended to buy a battery pack like the B-124X?
It costs $320, is bulky, potential fire hazard if not stored away from direct sunlight and STILL have to be replaced after a certain number of charge cycles.

Considering all that, is it cheaper to simply use the car battery and replace it if it eventually degrades significantly?
Old 10-25-2021, 06:58 AM
gmore
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by riwu
According to BlackboxMyCar, using the car's battery for parking mode will degrade its life and performance.

It costs $320, is bulky, potential fire hazard if not stored away from direct sunlight and STILL have to be replaced after a certain number of charge cycles.

Considering all that, is it cheaper to simply use the car battery and replace it if it eventually degrades significantly?
I have been using Blackvue hardwired for the last 7 years and after experiencing some issues with my BMW, I decided I will never use it in parking mode using the car battery.

I currently have a Cellink NEO battery under the seat and never had an issue. After 3 years it still keeps the camera (DR750X) recording for at least 10 hrs and it fully recharges in 20 min of driving.

I live in the UK so I'm not sure how safe is with the hot weather, but if a battery under the seat overheats to the point of catching fire, I think that the rest of the car might have been on fire already! In any case, there is always a switch to turn everything off just in case the weather is too hot.

I never tried on my Porsche, but connecting the camera to the battery on my BMW was not really ok. I used to get all sorts of error messages after turning it back on and the battery deteriorated pretty quick (the Start and Stop wouldn't kick in anymore for example).

If the Cellink battery fails, the camera shuts down but the car keeps going, while if your car battery fails because it is deteriorating pretty quick, you risk getting stuck in the middle of nowhere...
Old 10-25-2021, 09:08 AM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

I use Thinkware cams past 2 years without battery pack and had no issues
Old 10-29-2021, 01:25 PM
Moosedoc
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts
Default B-124x

I have a BlackVue camera attached to the B124x. I’d rather not ever chance a dead car battery and the B124x sits neatly under by passenger seat and draws power from then 12v accessory outlet in the passenger side foot well when the car is running. It charges to full capacity quickly and powers the camera overnight when parked without issues just off of my short daily commute.

Originally Posted by riwu

The following users liked this post:
topherserrano (10-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Dashcam battery pack worth it?