Sponsored by:

uncomfortable seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 03:41 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 256 Posts
Default uncomfortable seat

A year ago I purchased a new 992 C4S with 14 way seats. Since then I suffered an injury and had surgery for an unrelated medical issue. In the interim, I got out of shape, and developed hip and back pain. Now, what was a while ago, reasonably comfortable seats, have become an agonizing experience after less than a half hour of driving. My choices were clear, either sell the car or look for an accommodation . A neighbor has a car with Sheep Skin seat covers. I found his seats to be very comfortable, even though he had sports seats . I did get the seat covers for my car ( for which I have been soundly ridiculed on this site) and they made a real difference in comfort and ease of ingress and egress.
There are many reasons people sell their relatively new Porsche 992s. I wonder if anyone else, after a time, for any reason, found their choice of seats, ultimately uncomfortable, either leading to much less drive time or interest in selling their car.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:32 PM
Leecw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 49 Posts

In my 991.1 14way Ventilated seats I had a similar issue - long drives with the harder seat bottom and I'd get lower back pain - was remedied with a gel pad - I highly recommend:
Amazon Amazon
(GSeat CLASSIC Gel and Foam Seat Cushion - Use for Chairs, Car, Office, Commute, Airplane, Wheelchair - Portable - Relieve Sciatica, Coccyx/Tailbone & Chronic Back Pain Relief - Ergonomic Comfort - Long Lasting (Black))
Old 10-13-2021, 04:34 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Malibu515,

Firstly - I poked fun at you for the sheepskins. I hate to see you suffer with your back pain, etc. That is horrible.

1.) Keep the sheep skins and if they are 100% making it worth while - to heck with whatever I say or whomever. If they make the difference of being able to drive the car, or not - I would keep them.
2.) If they get you to 80% and still not comfortable "enough". Probably best to find a car that has the type of seats that give you comfort and some performance that you want. It is not worth suffering if not comfortable, and the plus side - pretty good market to actually make money on your 911 right now. (Though hard to find anything in stock that you might want - BMW M5, Mercedes AMG, etc. etc.)
3.) There also might be some foam seat orthotics you might be able to utilize to help as well. I know there are companies that have both seat bottom and back that you can lie on the seats (or affix) that can be made for you (fitted). That might be an option if the sheepskins help a little but not enough.

PS. Seriously - the sheepskin thread was not meant to discourage you (as I did not realize you had severe back pain) - if they work, and you don't mind them - keep them and go with it!
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
AlterZgo (10-13-2021), westcoastj (10-16-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 06:17 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
A year ago I purchased a new 992 C4S with 14 way seats. Since then I suffered an injury and had surgery for an unrelated medical issue. In the interim, I got out of shape, and developed hip and back pain. Now, what was a while ago, reasonably comfortable seats, have become an agonizing experience after less than a half hour of driving. My choices were clear, either sell the car or look for an accommodation . A neighbor has a car with Sheep Skin seat covers. I found his seats to be very comfortable, even though he had sports seats . I did get the seat covers for my car ( for which I have been soundly ridiculed on this site) and they made a real difference in comfort and ease of ingress and egress.
There are many reasons people sell their relatively new Porsche 992s. I wonder if anyone else, after a time, for any reason, found their choice of seats, ultimately uncomfortable, either leading to much less drive time or interest in selling their car.
I honestly think that sheepskin thread was just funny and your forum buddies just messing around with you. I think you should 100% keep the sheepskin covers - even the armrest cover which made me actually LOL when someone pointed it out. Sheepskin covered seats are definitely very comfortable and used to be something people thought of as a somewhat expensive luxury. Please don't bow to perceived peer pressure and get rid of the car on account of our juvenile comments. I assure you when i read the comments, I felt that they were all made in jest, not with any malice.

I have had the unfortunate experience of selling a car with uncomfortable seats, though it was a $29K Acura TSX rather than a $150K Porsche. But there were other things I didn't like about the car beyond the uncomfortable seats so it was easy for me to dump it. If you really like your car and if the sheepskins make the seats actually comfortable (not just bearable but comfortable), I say keep the car and sheepskins and enjoy the ride! To hell with the rest of us and our lame jokes.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:38 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
Sure would be easier to find a seat that's comfortable and have the 14 way OEM's pulled out and the new ones installed.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:41 PM
Kurac
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts

^ This
Old 10-14-2021, 01:35 AM
luckycanine
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I had this problem with my Boxster, I ended up selling it but before I did, I had considered a fairly reasonable switch to one of the Recaro Comfort seats, they should fit fairly easily in the 992 and a Recaro dealer can do the install. Ultimately I decided against it since they don't have seat airbags. https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us...recaro-ergomed
Old 10-14-2021, 01:52 AM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 109 Posts

You can also consider getting the 14 way seat reupholstered and reshaped or get another seat made that you can remove and install in your next car.

I know of a guy who had a bad back injury and got a custom seat made and continued to race after rehabilitation / physical therapy

The other thing you can do is just put memory foam/gel inserts under the seat covers like was mentioned.

Last edited by 991Targa4S; 10-14-2021 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:20 AM
boutrosa
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Try setting your tire pressure's to comfort levels, that seems to help. I find that many times, tire pressure is the route cause. sometime, too little is also a problem.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:46 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

I have not had a seat issue but am for the first time facing a gas pedal issue with what was my good knee . It began 3 weeks ago when walking down stairs I heard a crunch . The pain is above the kneecap . Everything I read seems to point at this going away but I find myself driving and with the knee bent it starts hurting. The pain only comes when the knee is bent with pressure (like stairs but not walking ) . As a result in prolonged traffic shifting gas to brake back and forth I have to move the seat back placing me far enough to avoid the pain but not where I'd like to be on the pedals . I want to give it more time before I say something to my doctor . It sucks feeling pain when driving and I empathize with your sheepskin dilemma .
Old 10-14-2021, 10:10 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Check these seats: Scheel Mann scheel-mann usa | Orthopedic Automotive Seats
They have impeccable reviews and the customer service is A+.

I replaced my motorhome seats with them and they are comfortable and advertised as orthopedic seats.
I too poked fun at your sheepskins - sorry you have the pain you are experiencing.
I sold a Corvette because of the seats after less than a year of ownership due to their impact on my sciatica, which has vastly lessened since I lost 50 pounds.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:46 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

I didn't see the sheepskin thread but I also had surgery and rehab from injuries and came away with tight back and hips. I found sitting for long periods difficult. Physical therapy and stretching resolved the issue completely. In my case much of the issue came from tight calves. I did it to resume things like skiing and cycling but found it resolved things as to sitting too. I of course have no idea what your specifics are or whether you've already been through PT so just taking a stab. BTW I have 14 ways.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:59 PM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 149 Posts

Sales launch for innovative 3D-print bodyform full bucket seat

10/14/2021A select group of Porsche drivers has been thoroughly testing the new 3D-print bodyform full bucket seat at various events, including the Manthey-Racing Nordschleife Trackdays 20/21. The pilot phase generated plenty of valuable customer feedback.

•  
Following some final adjustments, the customized seat is now available as part of the new Performance Parts offering from Porsche Tequipment. The seat is suitable for various Boxster, Cayman and 911 models. From February 2022 onwards, it can also be ordered from Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur as a standard feature and it will also be integrated into the Porsche Car Configurator at this point. In addition to its unique look, the new central section of the seat is its main innovation: parts of the cushion and backrest surfaces are produced using a 3D printer and they are available in three different rigidity grades, meaning the seat can be customized to suit the customer's specific needs.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:01 PM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by michael818

Sales launch for innovative 3D-print bodyform full bucket seat

10/14/2021A select group of Porsche drivers has been thoroughly testing the new 3D-print bodyform full bucket seat at various events, including the Manthey-Racing Nordschleife Trackdays 20/21. The pilot phase generated plenty of valuable customer feedback.

Following some final adjustments, the customized seat is now available as part of the new Performance Parts offering from Porsche Tequipment. The seat is suitable for various Boxster, Cayman and 911 models. From February 2022 onwards, it can also be ordered from Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur as a standard feature and it will also be integrated into the Porsche Car Configurator at this point. In addition to its unique look, the new central section of the seat is its main innovation: parts of the cushion and backrest surfaces are produced using a 3D printer and they are available in three different rigidity grades, meaning the seat can be customized to suit the customer's specific needs.
probably ridiculously expensive but if you love the car…..
Old 10-14-2021, 04:52 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

From a fellow back pain sufferer, try this under the cover. I'm not sure if it would fit, but the principle remains the same:

https://www.costco.com/type-s-comfor...100500169.html

Quick Reply: uncomfortable seat