Sponsored by:

ADMs on allocations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 12:07 AM
HPTX
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Let's play devil's advocate...

Many repeat P buyers still get their GT3s at MSRP from usual big dealers in CA/FL: not what one may believe if read (& believe) forums w/posts of those who can't solve the fairly simple game

Many/most buyers of new P's have compounded their stock portfolios >15%/yr over past 10+y

Many such buyers have major appreciation in their houses and/or refinanced their mortgages at historically low rates

Some have been able to recently (esp in Covid era) flee CA/NY/NJ for TX/FL and reduced their income taxes by 15ppts

And used car trade-in values are at historically high values; suspect many/most buyers of new P's routinely trade in their fleet of (often leased) cars in <2-3yrs, so TCO of driving new cars for <2y is perhaps lowest ever

ADMs are a silly one-dimensional discussion, much like alleged supply chain issues or "inflation"....many aspects to these phenomena in a complex, nonlinear world of self-interested market participants, in 1000s of varied markets, each w/own nonlinearities....
Old 10-15-2021, 12:11 AM
harshalp
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

By extension, many/most older P buyers (who have been shown to be flush with cash by HPTX in his above post) will therefore have no problems paying massive markups to get their hands on 992s due to their increased fears of encroaching death brought on by covid (no one get offended by me saying it clearly please)

Dealers selling "special" cars at MSRP to their very rich buyers are actually just donating money to them in this market, gotta love charity for the .1% 🙄

Last edited by harshalp; 10-15-2021 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:41 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by harshalp
? If manufacturers raise the prices they sell cars to dealers, but fail to raise MSRP to match it what do you guys think happens. Alternatively, if dealers don't have enough cars to sell but rely on volume sales to pay salaries and keep lights on what do you guys think happens. Just some speculation....probably other reasons I can come up with in a few minutes of thinking that can explain why every single type of new car carrying ADMs, but my point is basically that the ADMs are probably here to stay, and are just precursors to automakers raising prices themselves.
I think you misread - and I know you misrepresent - the post you are quoting. Nowhere did he suggest that the manufactures would increase the dealer price and leave the MSRP the same. That, obviously, does not happen. What he stated was that auto manufacturers generally don't change their prices due to currency fluctuations. That was a direct counter to your claim that the strength of the dollar would be a key factor in car prices. Your response is non-sensical. But I am starting to get the felling that you do this intentionally to create straw man arguments for whatever random point you want to make.

Last edited by Drew46; 10-15-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:12 PM
harshalp
Instructor

Originally Posted by Drew46
I think you misread - and I know you misrepresent - the post you are quoting. Nowhere did he suggest that the manufactures would increase the dealer price and leave the MSRP the same. That, obviously, does not happen. What he stated was that auto manufacturers generally don't change their prices due to currency fluctuations. That was a direct counter to your claim that the strength of the dollar would be a key factor in car prices. Your response is non-sensical. But I am starting to get the felling that you do this intentionally to create straw man arguments for whatever random point you want to make.

i clearly said reasons i can come up with. i did not say they are facts. i'm just an average porsche buyer

Originally Posted by HPTX
Let's play devil's advocate...

Many repeat P buyers still get their GT3s at MSRP from usual big dealers in CA/FL: not what one may believe if read (& believe) forums w/posts of those who can't solve the fairly simple game

Many/most buyers of new P's have compounded their stock portfolios >15%/yr over past 10+y

Many such buyers have major appreciation in their houses and/or refinanced their mortgages at historically low rates

Some have been able to recently (esp in Covid era) flee CA/NY/NJ for TX/FL and reduced their income taxes by 15ppts

And used car trade-in values are at historically high values; suspect many/most buyers of new P's routinely trade in their fleet of (often leased) cars in <2-3yrs, so TCO of driving new cars for <2y is perhaps lowest ever

ADMs are a silly one-dimensional discussion, much like alleged supply chain issues or "inflation"....many aspects to these phenomena in a complex, nonlinear world of self-interested market participants, in 1000s of varied markets, each w/own nonlinearities....
By extension, many/most older P buyers (who have been shown to be flush with cash by HPTX in his above post) will therefore have no problems paying massive markups to get their hands on 992s due to their increased fears of encroaching death brought on by covid (no one get offended by me saying it clearly please)

Dealers selling "special" cars at MSRP to their very rich buyers are actually just donating money to them in this market, gotta love charity for the .1% 🙄

read more, post judiciously, i notice you failed to respond to this very real fact however.

dealers know their longtime customers with the most money to spend are getting close to dropping dead while flush with cash, they're just taking advantage of it like capitalism dictates. am i wrong? 99.9% chance that i'm not, as my local dealer told me, "dealers need to make money too"

Last edited by harshalp; 10-15-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:03 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,051 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by jrnottarts
I just ordered a GTS Coupe at MSRP, no ADM. The dealer told me I'm first in line, which I trust. They've never given me a reason not to trust them. Maybe I'm too naïve, but I thought it was pretty awesome that they honored no ADM.
Originally Posted by ENCT
You have a confirmed order? I was not aware allocations have been given out yet?
Originally Posted by jrnottarts
Not technically. The dealer said they will get official allocations in early November.
Then you don’t have anything except the dealer’s promise, which in this environment might mean less than nothing.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:10 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

read more, post judiciously, i notice you failed to respond to this very real fact however.

Another complete non-response. You might want to take your own advice on reading more. There was no "real fact" for me to respond to: just you alleging to refute a point the the poster never made. Make sure you don't use up your screen time or your Mom will be mad.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:45 AM
harshalp
Instructor

Originally Posted by Drew46
Another complete non-response. You might want to take your own advice on reading more. There was no "real fact" for me to respond to: just you alleging to refute a point the the poster never made. Make sure you don't use up your screen time or your Mom will be mad.
Thank you for this non-response telling me I posted a non-response. You definitely seem literate.

LOL.

Meanwhile in the real world, older P car buyers are getting close to dropping dead and flush with cash as shown by another poster, ADM is actually fair market value in this economy.

Last edited by harshalp; 10-16-2021 at 11:46 AM.

Quick Reply: ADMs on allocations?