Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 12:49 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,448 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Exactly.

Oil change once/ year
Brake fluid change every 4 years (Porsche says 2, which I think is absurd)
Air filters probably every 4 years depending on mileage. They are pretty accessible, so you could pop them out for inspection and reuse if still clean. But they are pretty inexpensive so you may as well just replace them.
Cabin filters probably every 4 unless you live in/drive in a dusty area
Spark plugs every 4-6 (just so they don’t get stuck via corrosion - few plugs will ever be “worn out” in that time.)
Probably a serpentine belt replacement after about 6 years 60k miles.
Brakes as needed. Mine typically last 75-100k miles.

That’s all I can think of. There really isn’t much on modern cars.

I really think that Porsche charges crazy amounts for service because customers like being able to brag about how expensive it it to maintain their exotic cars. It would be insulting to have to say that you only spent what Honda owners spent.
Your service intervals are quite different than mine but I drive mine daily so maybe that's it. If you can get 100k out of brakes on a high performance sports car congratulations you've just set a world record.

Last edited by remington; 07-07-2023 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2023, 01:52 PM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
For those doing their own work, documenting purchases of parts are a must. It doesn't prove you did but neither does a receipt from a dealer prove the oil in there is what is claimed or the work done. At the end of the day it's the trust you have in the person(s) having worked on the vehicle. For everything else there's MC

siberian
Back when cars still had oil dipsticks, I brought my car in for an oil change and some other work. After picking up the car and driving home, I decided to see if they refilled the oil to the correct level. Shocker---the oil wasn't even changed since it was black. According to the dealer, the tech forgot to do it.

That's why I try to check up on any work performed to the extent possible. If I'm paying out of pocket for parts (e.g. spark plugs), I ask for the old parts back.
Old 07-07-2023, 02:13 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

I get my old parts back automatically - I do my own work and recycle the old oil by using it for heat in my workshop.

siberian

Quick Reply: maintenance schedule on new 911