992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattles - Where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2021 | 02:12 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

fwiw, my 991.2 was rattle free. i don't think it's expecting too much to not have rattles.
The following 2 users liked this post by dhirm5:
peterdouglas (09-04-2021), Tupper (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021 | 02:26 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Originally Posted by 1100S
Coincidentally I had my car in for a track checkup yesterday and mentioned that I had a “rattle” that seemed in the area by the mirror that also seemed to change depending on whether the passenger sun visor was up or down. Turns out it was in the leading edge of the sunroof headliner. The tech said that there were only two clips for the entire width of the headliner. He squeezed in a few pieces of foam and the “rattle” went away.....for now.
super timely thanks for letting me know
sounds like I have something similar
I’ll talk to my service guy
Old 09-04-2021 | 03:29 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Truth be told, I know it's not realistic but get this.....why do the Japanese cars not really have these issues....with Porsche just given how powerful the engines are and how loud they are, inevitably your going to get vibrations but certain ones are just so annoying that they need to be dealt with.
Honestly I think every car I've ever had has rattles. All my BMWs rattle, my brand new 992 rattles, my Toyota Highlander, Infiniti G35, Acura TSX, Nissan 300ZXTT... literally all of them had rattles here and there. Those who say German cars are put together better or Japanese cars are put together better are likely just not paying as much attention as I don't find the quality (at least with respect to vibrations and rattles) much different btw my Japanese and German cars. I also notice it depends on the weather. Warmer weather seems to stop some rattles as parts expand etc. and winter and cooler weather bring on larger panel gaps and some rattles.

The best way to fix the issue is to disassemble the panels and apply dynamat or other sound deadening and also use lots of foam tape around clips and areas of the car where hard plastic and/or metal contact each other. It also makes the stereo system sound way better. But this is not practical for most people.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021 | 03:34 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Mine has a clicking/knocking sound on uneven non-paved roads, it goes away as soon as I hit asphalt. Yes, I checked underneath and in the battery area. Do I expect quiet for this price? Yes, my Touareg or Macan doesn't rattle over the same roads.

But more importantly I'd like to have a seat belt adjuster so I don't have to wear a cover to avoid slicing my throat, to see the outer gauges, to have a rear wiper with water, to have the HomeLink brought back where God intended it to be or the programming reworked on the PCM, same for the odometer reset what was wrong with the little button?...

Nothing is perfect but the above should never have entered production IMHO.

siberian
Spotty-Dog (09-06-2021)
Old 09-04-2021 | 04:04 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Truth be told, I know it's not realistic but get this.....why do the Japanese cars not really have these issues....with Porsche just given how powerful the engines are and how loud they are, inevitably your going to get vibrations but certain ones are just so annoying that they need to be dealt with.
Because Toyota and Honda (and the S. Korean automakers) prioritize minimizing NVH in their cars. Their cars squeak and rattle just like every other car out there (or are just as likely to do so), but they stuff so much sound deadening material in their cars it doesn't matter.

And as to Japanese cars being rattle free, ever sit in a Nissan GT-R? Makes a tin can full of pebbles rolling down the street sound like a library.
detansinn (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021 | 08:13 PM
Glerald
Instructor

My 2020 C2S with 20k miles the passenger door rattles and squeaks only when car is wet. I just turn up the music. The car itself so so miraculous that I just don’t care about the noise.
Old 09-04-2021 | 08:26 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Had door rattles when the car was new, easily fixed by the dealer in one visit (wasn't the Bose rattle). Also had a steering wheel squeak I fixed myself with Jig-a-loo about a year ago that hasn't returned. Now at 23,000 km I hear no rattles whatsoever. Car has no sunroof - which removes one source of potential rattles - and while I'm not averse to cranking my tunes, the bass is never set above +2. Makes me shake my head when folks crank their bass-heavy music to a volume level that causes the whole car to vibrate, then wonder why it rattles.

Quick Reply: Rattles - Where are they?