Sponsored by:

992 cab torsional rigidity / chassis stiffness

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 05:43 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts
Default 992 cab torsional rigidity / chassis stiffness

I just completed the sale of my 991.2 GTS. Sad to see her go, but she went to a great home where she'll be well loved.

Thoughts have turned to my incoming car, intending to order the 992 GTS cabrio as soon as a slot is available. Apparently these have not yet been released in the USA.

A recent thread has me pondering the feel of driving the cabrio vs the coupe I just got out of. The measurement of the cabrio is roughly half, if I recall correctly. Does that translate into a meaningful ride difference? One of the things I enjoyed most in driving the 911 was the incredibly solid, planted feeling. I'm wondering if the cab would provide the same experience, or whether it would feel "sloppy". I'm not so keen for the topless experience that I'd accept a sloppy drive.

Can current cab & coupe drivers chime in with their experience on the difference in driving feel? 992 experiences preferred but anything recent is helpful.

Thanks

Last edited by dhirm5; 09-01-2021 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:03 PM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

Im not sure what you mean by measurement is half. The cab and coupe have the same dimensions. The cab is solid, no cowl shudder or perceived lack of stiffness. Perhaps on the track at the limit a very experienced driver may notice, but the car is solid. So many cab reviews on YouTube. Drive one and you will be sold. In So Cal with our glorious weather I wouldn't spec a sports car any other way.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hormazd Dalal:
dhirm5 (09-01-2021), Kansas32 (09-01-2021), Tupper (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 07:08 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hormazd Dalal
Im not sure what you mean by measurement is half. The cab and coupe have the same dimensions. The cab is solid, no cowl shudder or perceived lack of stiffness. Perhaps on the track at the limit a very experienced driver may notice, but the car is solid. So many cab reviews on YouTube. Drive one and you will be sold. In So Cal with our glorious weather I wouldn't spec a sports car any other way.
Thanks for your feedback; sorry I wasn't more clear; there's a list of torsional rigidity measurements that has been going around - http://youwheel.com/home/2016/06/20/...ehensive-list/ .

You can see here that the 991 cab is 12k vs 30k for the coupe. This measures the amount of force needed to "twist" the body. What I don't know is whether a driver can feel the diff between these two numbers under normal conditions. Your comment indicates that we would not, which is good enough for me.

Cheers
Old 09-01-2021, 09:01 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 562 Posts

You can definitely tell the difference in stiffness between a coupe and a cab in normal driving - I'd recommend trying one out. I am not really a convertible type of guy (all my other cars are coupes) but I got the 992 in Convertible (and PDK yuck!) because it is the family all purpose car - mostly used by my wife and our houseguests.

That said, it is stiff enough that while you will notice the difference, it is almost negligible in terms of impact on handling and it wouldn't stop me in your shoes. The most obvious example is a slightly rubbery feel to how bump impacts propagate through the body of the car when you go over a metal road plate or something like that. A coupe will kind of stiffly crash over it while the cab will have a little bit of body elastic absorption which you can feel. But on a smooth road, you'd have a hard time telling the difference.
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 09:18 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RudyP
You can definitely tell the difference in stiffness between a coupe and a cab in normal driving - I'd recommend trying one out. I am not really a convertible type of guy (all my other cars are coupes) but I got the 992 in Convertible (and PDK yuck!) because it is the family all purpose car - mostly used by my wife and our houseguests.

That said, it is stiff enough that while you will notice the difference, it is almost negligible in terms of impact on handling and it wouldn't stop me in your shoes. The most obvious example is a slightly rubbery feel to how bump impacts propagate through the body of the car when you go over a metal road plate or something like that. A coupe will kind of stiffly crash over it while the cab will have a little bit of body elastic absorption which you can feel. But on a smooth road, you'd have a hard time telling the difference.
That's an excellent description. I can pretty much feel what you mean - lol. Thanks for your input - hopefully I can find a cab to try; difficult these days. I'll prob just pull the trigger and then change up again if it's something I dislike. Sounds like it will be fine.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:44 PM
2WheelsRBetter
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
...I got the 992 in Convertible (and PDK yuck!) because it is the family all purpose car - mostly used by my wife and our houseguests.
You, Sir, are a gracious host!
The following 2 users liked this post by 2WheelsRBetter:
dhirm5 (09-02-2021), Tupper (09-02-2021)
Old 01-03-2022, 01:08 AM
Eloas
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Post deleted. (Admin, delete it, I have posted in the wrong thread)

Last edited by Eloas; 01-03-2022 at 01:21 AM.

Quick Reply: 992 cab torsional rigidity / chassis stiffness