Sponsored by:

Torque Steer on 4S

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 08:45 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

There's no torque steer with the 4S. Period. As for power transfer, it is seamless and in typical driving, you'll rarely see much power at the front wheels at all. It's a heavily RWD biased system. TBH, RAS doesn't generate the feeling either. It's certainly not the PDK.

With what you're describing, it sounds like LKA or ALK were enabled at the high setting -- that will tug the wheel as you described. That's what you're feeling.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
Ms95207x (08-31-2021), peterdouglas (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 09:55 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

The 4S is marvelous. Especially hard driven at the track, it will pull through corners like no pusher 2WD can.
Are you also saying that a competent experienced driver will get lower lap times with the 4S than the 2S? In dry conditions of course...
Old 08-31-2021, 10:19 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
I think Mathus question was correct. The RWS can feel a little like the oversteer, or your loosing the back end slightly. Especially if your new to it. It’s not of course, but some don’t dig it for just that reason.
I have C2S Coupe with RWS and get an effect like you describe. Do not like it as it suddenly occurs under certain conditions but I auto correct with instant response.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:42 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I have a C2S without RWS and do not recall that sensation. Good steering feel yes, but having the car turn in to a corner cresting a rise no. In that case I'd expecting the steering to lighten and the front to wash out a little, not turning into the corner (which I assume is what you mean by "the oversteer direction").
Old 09-01-2021, 09:37 AM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

I have a 4S, with rws, never had this.
the car I ran at PEC was also a 4S with Rws, didn’t do it and that car was being pushed hard over very undulating mock road setup.

Over a crest the weight balance can be all over the place, depends if you accelerate (light front end), coast (relatively stable) or brake (hello sideways).

Old 09-01-2021, 10:28 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

Interesting theories! Thanks for the input. A couple of times the LKA caused the steering wheel to vibrate when I touched the center line, but it was not associated with what I was feeling. Something was definitely either adding or lessening the steering boost. When I was rounding corners and holding the wheel at a constant position (say 15 degrees left of center as I rounded a curve to the left) suddenly the wheel would jump further left by a degree or two, thus causing the car to cross the centerline (oversteer direction). I had to correct it back. If it was the LKA I’d expect it to tug me back into my lane (I don’t know how it works and if it is an active system that way, but I wouldn’t expect it to push me further into the opposing lane). I don’t know if it was happened via extra torque being sent through the front wheels or a sudden increase in boost to the power steering. Either way, I don’t like it. Whatever it is, it causes the car to drift to the inside of the curve and touch or cross the center line. My dealer is getting another 4S in the next couple of weeks. He said it will probably be sold in a day, but he said he’d let me drive it as soon as he gets it. I’ll see how that car feels.

Quick Reply: Torque Steer on 4S