992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose vs. Burmester

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021 | 10:34 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Have the Burm in my 20 C2S. Can’t hear it at speed without playing at high volume, which it does very well, but I’m trying to preserve my aging ears as much as possible. Still glad I have Burm even though utility is likely not worth the cost.

Picking up an BMW X5 45e (PHEV) this week and really wanted the B&W since that’s a quiet car, but supply issues have limited my model to only the base stereo. So I have the exact opposite mismatched problem in both cars.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Dolomite (08-31-2021)
Old 09-01-2021 | 01:48 AM
SRD1281
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I would get the Burm for the looks.

Sound? I honestly cannot tell the difference between Bose and Burm.

But, hot damn, the Burm just looks better.
You're spending thousands more for looks on a speaker system smh.
The following 2 users liked this post by SRD1281:
alextheghost (09-02-2021), Mr. Dolomite (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021 | 01:58 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SRD1281
You're spending thousands more for looks on a speaker system smh.
No different than PTS.
Mr. Dolomite (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021 | 11:04 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I would get the Burm for the looks.

Sound? I honestly cannot tell the difference between Bose and Burm.

But, hot damn, the Burm just looks better.
This may sound like a strange reason to choose a sound system, but given the realities of the 992 listening environment it's the only reason.
Mr. Dolomite (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021 | 11:24 AM
Mr. Dolomite
Intermediate

Yes, totally understand--and some are totally elated with engine sounds only (except for the infamous, elusive, and yet to be resolved "crickets"), Yet, through forums like this we can share what we've done to improve upon our selected audio systems...or why we're leaving them as is. I have the "good look" Burmester, but will make a few improvements for my sonic desires.
Old 09-01-2021 | 11:27 AM
BCA01
Instructor

Well, my 992 is already built and sitting at the port, and I chose Burmester this time. Had I read this thread, I might have chosen the Bose since so many say that it's plenty good in the 992. But I am happy that I chose the best option so that I don't have to wonder if anything with the OEM sound system could be any better. I was satisfied with the Bose in my 991.2 but only after upgrading the tweeters to the Dynaudio ones from Musicar (whole thread about this on the 991 forum if you aren't familiar). But I didn't want to have to do any kind of mods to the 992 at all. And I'm not into tearing my cars apart to do full aftermarket systems anymore....that ended in my early 20s.

I hope and expect to be satisfied when I get my car.

Originally Posted by mferris
Have the Burm in my 20 C2S. Can’t hear it at speed without playing at high volume, which it does very well, but I’m trying to preserve my aging ears as much as possible. Still glad I have Burm even though utility is likely not worth the cost.

Picking up an BMW X5 45e (PHEV) this week and really wanted the B&W since that’s a quiet car, but supply issues have limited my model to only the base stereo. So I have the exact opposite mismatched problem in both cars.
Having to get the base stereo would suck! Hopefully it's decent. Sorry...
Old 09-01-2021 | 12:31 PM
inthesticks
Racer

I ordered the Burmester. My reasoning is simple - I've never regretted getting an upgraded stereo, but I have regretted not getting one.
The following 8 users liked this post by inthesticks:
AlterZgo (09-01-2021), doug_999 (09-01-2021), k-dogg (09-02-2021), mike.hicks (09-04-2021), Mr. Dolomite (09-01-2021), Ray Benson (09-01-2021), Therosser77 (03-22-2023), txpackers (09-02-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-01-2021 | 12:46 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by inthesticks
I ordered the Burmester. My reasoning is simple - I've never regretted getting an upgraded stereo, but I have regretted not getting one.
I was going to put the Burm in my C4S but cheaped out and got Bose because I knew I’d be upgrading to a TTS or Targa GTS within 12-18 months. The Bose sounded “fine” and I kind of regretted it initially. Then I drove around in a TTS with Burm (same songs, source) and the difference was indistinguishable when driving on the road. Now I have absolutely no reservations ordering the TTS with Bose. Which is great, saves money and I don’t really like the look of the shiny aluminum Burm speakers anyhow as they match nothing else in the cabin. I’m no hardcore audiophile but I do have about $50K in a home HiFi system and use different headphones and headphone amps when switching between types of music and moods.

I’ve never auditioned the standard sound system. But the Bose was cheap enough and included in the Premium package that it was a no brainer and seems like the Goldilocks choice as others have mentioned.

Last edited by wintershade; 09-01-2021 at 12:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wintershade:
AlterZgo (09-01-2021), Mr. Dolomite (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021 | 01:02 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

I think a lot of it has to do with how loud you listen and how good your ears are. I'm an audiophile and I when I finally got to hear the Burmester I could hear the difference in areas that mattered to me (high and mid range clarity at higher volumes). It's definitely not night and day for most listeners, but if you're an audiophile it would be worth it. There are bass differences as well. The Bose is more impactful and deep, while the Burm is more accurate,

Bear in mind that "worth it" has a very different meaning for audiophiles - incremental increases in fidelity come at exponentially higher prices.

Last edited by Dr. G; 09-01-2021 at 01:05 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dr. G:
doug_999 (09-01-2021), Mr. Dolomite (09-01-2021), passat774 (09-02-2021), WhitBroo (09-03-2021)
Old 09-01-2021 | 01:23 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
This may sound like a strange reason to choose a sound system, but given the realities of the 992 listening environment it's the only reason.
Or for somebody who appreciates music while they drive the reality of the listening environment would drive the decision to get the best sound possible. Correct its not going to sound amazing but in an awful sound environment better is still better.
doug_999 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021 | 01:38 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I think a lot of it has to do with how loud you listen and how good your ears are. I'm an audiophile and I when I finally got to hear the Burmester I could hear the difference in areas that mattered to me (high and mid range clarity at higher volumes). It's definitely not night and day for most listeners, but if you're an audiophile it would be worth it. There are bass differences as well. The Bose is more impactful and deep, while the Burm is more accurate,

Bear in mind that "worth it" has a very different meaning for audiophiles - incremental increases in fidelity come at exponentially higher prices.
I googled audiophile and this image popped up....

Old 09-01-2021 | 02:52 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slc4s
Or for somebody who appreciates music while they drive the reality of the listening environment would drive the decision to get the best sound possible. Correct its not going to sound amazing but in an awful sound environment better is still better.
I'm one of those people. Also like some above I have really good home systems. Some cars lend themselves to listening. The 992 however with its 85 dB of background noise, cabin geometry and speaker placement just doesn't. To me it's going to sound like a boom box no matter the speakers, eq and what's driving it. True, some boom boxes are better than others. I'm used to audio hype but with a background in sound I have strong, often opposing opinions. YMMV.
The following 3 users liked this post by Russian Mafia:
marrast (09-01-2021), Nothingtoc (09-02-2021), Tedster (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021 | 03:20 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
I'm one of those people. Also like some above I have really good home systems. Some cars lend themselves to listening. The 992 however with its 85 dB of background noise, cabin geometry and speaker placement just doesn't. To me it's going to sound like a boom box no matter the speakers, eq and what's driving it. True, some boom boxes are better than others. I'm used to audio hype but with a background in sound I have strong, often opposing opinions. YMMV.
85db is not that loud.
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...sted-decibels/
At 88db (and remember, decibles are logrithmic) the BMW 840GC might be considered loud - still the high end stereo in there is really nice. Was B&O, I forget if they have switched it.

That said, as we get older, background noise does affect our ability to hear - so for some people, noisier backgrounds can make it harder to hear the sound. Me? Heck, I drive to work 0-40-0 everyday, so my 992 is pretty darn quiet and I hear the music very well. Even though I'm old

Old 09-01-2021 | 03:29 PM
XavierD
Track Day

I was previously somewhat of an audiophile and and sound system in the 911 is a waste of money unless you do all the listening stationary… road/tire noise is so loud, at least in my 991.2 GTS that there is absolutely zero music pleasure above 70kph. Stationary I think the Bose is actually pretty good though… but I really don’t get in a 911 to sit still and listen to music…
Russian Mafia (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021 | 05:49 AM
LARNIOCNK
Advanced

Originally Posted by wintershade
I don’t really like the look of the shiny aluminum Burm speakers anyhow as they match nothing else in the cabin.
My inner OCD is flaring up now and i kinda regret ordering the Burmester because of this since it doesn’t match anything and looking at the online configurator, it seems the BOSE blends better into the cabin… 🤦🏻‍♂️

I never had the chance to see it in person, but I do like my audio (not a hardcore audiophile) which is why I ordered it.

Unfortunately my car ships next week so I cannot change my build to add the Bose instead which I admit was fine when I test drove a car with it in.

*sigh*

First work problems… hopefully it’s not too much of an eyesore.

FYI - I got a Carrara White with black interior and crayon stitching.
Captain P (09-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Bose vs. Burmester