Sponsored by:

Personal review of first 911.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 11:23 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
I’ve owned both a base 992 & now C2S. There is literally no discernible difference in perceived ‘lag’ in either car. Any notion that an S has more lag than a base is just a product of confirmation bias. The new asymmetrical setup on the turbos all but eliminates any correlation between the 992 & previous gen cars. You’ll need to drive a 991 to appreciate the refined throttle response in the 992. 🍻
And, for good measure, drive an old school turbocharged car and know what lag truly feels like. I think a lot of people get confused by throttle response delay, boost threshold and/or old fashioned transmission kickdown vs actual lag.
The following 7 users liked this post by rk-d:
aggie57 (07-08-2021), M3Inline6 (07-07-2021), OliverK68 (07-08-2021), Overdraft (07-08-2021), smiles11 (07-07-2021), TimD (07-09-2021), Tupper (07-10-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-08-2021, 09:02 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
And, for good measure, drive an old school turbocharged car and know what lag truly feels like. I think a lot of people get confused by throttle response delay, boost threshold and/or old fashioned transmission kickdown vs actual lag.
I agree with you that there is more going on than just turbo lag. My Z06 was supercharged but had a discernable lag that related more to the electronics catching up to the driver input. The waste gates had to close and the injectors had to fire, etc. which created a small delay from input to reaction. The absolute best throttle response I've experienced has been in the 991.1. I assume the GT3's are similar.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:23 AM
sweylo
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 32 Posts

Great review, but what about the pen that came in a different font?
Old 07-08-2021, 09:48 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain P
I own a bmw m340i and a Tesla model 3 for reference. I’ll be making some comparison along the way.

This is my first Porsche ever, and my opinions/feelings about the car so far. This won’t be comprehensive, just things note worthy to me.

Drive
  • There is turbo lag, really noticeable when you floor it from lower speed without building boost, however if you gently accelerate it feels naturally aspirated.
Thank you for the review! One question for the sake of comparability though: Which mode are you in, when experiencing the turbo lag; Normal, Sport or Sport Plus?

Old 07-08-2021, 12:39 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

About turbo lag, read here that there might be more to the delayed response than turbo lag, like throttle response or gear kickdown, I’m happy to be wrong here. Won’t pretend I know all the inner workings of a car.

So I drove it again in manual mode where I did the gear shifting myself. No discernible lag. So it looks like it’s gear change + I’ve been spoiled bad by electric instant torque.
The following 2 users liked this post by Captain P:
dhirm5 (07-08-2021), smiles11 (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 01:38 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain P
So I drove it again in manual mode where I did the gear shifting myself. No discernible lag. So it looks like it’s gear change + I’ve been spoiled bad by electric instant torque.
i was going to say this. the tesla’s squirt when you depress the throttle makes any ice feel laggy as hell.

when you care, just keep your porsche in the right rev range by manually choosing gears and problem solved. i think this is why 7mt folk never complain about lag.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:43 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
i was going to say this. the tesla’s squirt when you depress the throttle makes any ice feel laggy as hell.

when you care, just keep your porsche in the right rev range by manually choosing gears and problem solved. i think this is why 7mt folk never complain about lag.
Yep, we have to go looking for it. It's there but in practical terms no different to NA generation 911's.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:12 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Yep, we have to go looking for it. It's there but in practical terms no different to NA generation 911's.
In normal at 40mph in 7th gear in a pdk…. It has to dump into 3rd, a on the same shaft (probably) so it’s a lot of dicking around mechanically to do that.

Go manual and it’s a non-event as you will probably be in 4th and it’s a very quick drop to 3rd, whoosh off you go.

Having spent 7 months in the C4S, it’s a very easy beast to live with, just know your mechanical limitations, sport and sport+ do what they say, normal is not for pushing on with high revs and snappy changes, high rpm. My little chase with a G63 today required sport and he was a tub of lard filling my windscreen, in normal it would of been a lot of “hurry up and wait”.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:07 PM
SF_
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
I’ve owned both a base 992 & now C2S. There is literally no discernible difference in perceived ‘lag’ in either car. Any notion that an S has more lag than a base is just a product of confirmation bias. The new asymmetrical setup on the turbos all but eliminates any correlation between the 992 & previous gen cars. You’ll need to drive a 991 to appreciate the refined throttle response in the 992. 🍻
As someone who has had both, I'm curious if you think there's any merit to some journalists prefering base over S? Other than price, is there any reason in your view to choose the base over the S?
Old 07-08-2021, 07:54 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by SF_
As someone who has had both, I'm curious if you think there's any merit to some journalists prefering base over S? Other than price, is there any reason in your view to choose the base over the S?
I’d say the main attraction for a base over an S is having a car that provides 90% of the experience without having to pay an extra $13k. Same reasons why some prefer the S over the GTS. It just comes down to how much value you put into the options you’re getting in exchange for the extra $$.

My choice to opt for a C2S was for three things, none of which were because of the bump in power.

1. LSD
2. PTV+
3. Sport PASM

The extra power is just the icing.

If not for a bit of bad luck with my first 992 (long story) I might still have a base C2. I had the choice of the last available MY20 allocation for a C2S, or a MY21 C2 allocation which would have to sit at port for two months waiting on CARB. I went with the former.

Last edited by smiles11; 07-08-2021 at 11:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SF_ (07-08-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 12:01 AM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by SF_
The base is a terrific car. But if price isn't a big issue, the S is better in many respects. Even if the increased power and torque are of no interest, the S is the gateway to RAS, PDCC, SPASM, torque vectoring, better brakes, and larger tires and wheels (and, of course, a manual gear box if that is desirable). Even the price differential isn't that great if you concede that the S is going to be worth a good bit more on resale. And, even if that resale differential is only half of the premium price for an S (say, about $8000) that means that over a four year ownership period the cost of driving an S is about $2000 a year. I'm not sure I understand the bias against the S that I detect in Rennlist over the past several months. I would presume that those who buy 911's-- particularly enthusiasts, are genuinely gratified by performance, and there is no way that a base is going to outperform an S-- on the track, or on the street.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gentian21:
Go Bruins (07-09-2021), M3Inline6 (07-09-2021), Tupper (07-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 12:30 AM
SF_
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
The base is a terrific car. But if price isn't a big issue, the S is better in many respects. Even if the increased power and torque are of no interest, the S is the gateway to RAS, PDCC, SPASM, torque vectoring, better brakes, and larger tires and wheels (and, of course, a manual gear box if that is desirable). Even the price differential isn't that great if you concede that the S is going to be worth a good bit more on resale. And, even if that resale differential is only half of the premium price for an S (say, about $8000) that means that over a four year ownership period the cost of driving an S is about $2000 a year. I'm not sure I understand the bias against the S that I detect in Rennlist over the past several months. I would presume that those who buy 911's-- particularly enthusiasts, are genuinely gratified by performance, and there is no way that a base is going to outperform an S-- on the track, or on the street.
My guess is that the bias has something to do with the fact that it's so hard to test drive a base and S back to back these days, and therefore we lean a bit more on auto journalist opinions (or others on RL). Some of these guys say the base is the pick of the bunch. Perhaps they are considering value, hard to say. I've only driven an S pdk and thought it was amazing. Before I bought my Cayenne, journalists mostly said get the base, you can barely tell the difference. I drove a base and S back to back and the S had a much better motor, well worth the $13k for me, so I went that route. I'm waiting on a 992S but always interested in hearing from those who have spent a lot of time in both.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:39 AM
manual_laborer
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SF_
My guess is that the bias has something to do with the fact that it's so hard to test drive a base and S back to back these days, and therefore we lean a bit more on auto journalist opinions (or others on RL). Some of these guys say the base is the pick of the bunch. Perhaps they are considering value, hard to say. I've only driven an S pdk and thought it was amazing. Before I bought my Cayenne, journalists mostly said get the base, you can barely tell the difference. I drove a base and S back to back and the S had a much better motor, well worth the $13k for me, so I went that route. I'm waiting on a 992S but always interested in hearing from those who have spent a lot of time in both.
My guess is the YouTubers all got access to the S at launch since it was the first available, thought it was great, got access to a base model next, and needed something catchy or controversial to say about it to get people to watch. I love car YouTube, but it’s a system.
The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (07-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Personal review of first 911.