Sponsored by:

Demo 992 Over 50 Faults

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 01:35 PM
ddodds
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by por356
Maybe a Porsche Experience Center Atlanta car?
This!
Old 06-24-2021, 02:34 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Why? If that's the case also avoid any pre-owned car.
I guess there's demos and demos.

Executive demo is most likely an unicorn. Driven by PCNA executives. You'd imagine to be in good shape.

Loaner demos- coin toss, depends on the dealer (I've seen disgusting relatively new demos) and users.

PEC and PTX demos- driven hard on the track, specially the latter. It could be just fine as those cars are resistant, unless it's a manual. Also, the PCCB are a wild card. Not always replaced or properly measured. TTS undergo hundreds and hundreds of launch controls. While the PDK is notoriously strong and it is a lot of fun, I'd rather not have a car that did that. I don't think PCNA swaps PDKs before selling. Those cars go in the litter box and guard rails from time to time.

Used cars- owner (or lease) have some skin in the game.

Last edited by John Mclane; 06-24-2021 at 03:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by John Mclane:
Go Bruins (06-24-2021), Tupper (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 06:33 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane

Executive demo is most likely an unicorn. Driven by PCNA executives. You'd imagine to be in good shape.

Loaner demos- coin toss, depends on the dealer (I've seen disgusting relatively new demos) and users.

PEC and PTX demos- driven hard on the track, specially the latter. It could be just fine as those cars are resistant, unless it's a manual. Also, the PCCB are a wild card. Not always replaced or properly measured. TTS undergo hundreds and hundreds of launch controls. While the PDK is notoriously strong and it is a lot of fun, I'd rather not have a car that did that. I don't think PCNA swaps PDKs before selling. Those cars go in the litter box and guard rails from time to time.

I don't disagree with that. I just called it out because the statement was 'avoid demos' not 'avoid PEC/PTX cars'. I've bought several ex-dealer demo's in the past, Mercedes and Porsche. Mixed experience but great savings and warranty covered the one notable negative event.

Last edited by aggie57; 06-24-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:11 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
I don't disagree with that. I just called it out because the statement was 'avoid demos' not 'avoid PEC/PTX cars'. I've bought several ex-dealer demo's in the past, Mercedes and Porsche. Mixed experience but great savings and warranty covered the one notable negative event.
I think due diligence is needed when those terms come by. I would get an explanation in writing about where the car came from. It can be useful depending on the state you live. And don't trust CPO as a guarantee that all is good. Certification is ridiculously easy with very low standards (eg aftermarket parts and prior collisions are acceptable).
Old 06-24-2021, 09:13 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Reflixez88
Doesn't look like there's issues in the Carfax, only records are 2 service records for pre-delivery inspection and brake pad / tire replacements.
Tire replacement at 1300 miles?

That’d raise a red flag for me.

Sounds like battery though. Sitting on a lot for a while.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:51 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane

I’ve done PEC at Barber and the brutality with which they treat those TTS is something to behold. Constant launches in blistering heat. Then ***** to the wall runs on the track. Back to back to back to back. All. Day. Long.

The Carreras have it much better at PEC. Basically a conservative follow the leader on the track and some fun at the skip pad.

But the TTS - no way Jose. Those things are hammered with extreme prejudice. I was so impressed by how tough they were, it inspired me to buy a Turbo a few years ago.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:43 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
I’ve done PEC at Barber and the brutality with which they treat those TTS is something to behold. Constant launches in blistering heat. Then ***** to the wall runs on the track. Back to back to back to back. All. Day. Long.

The Carreras have it much better at PEC. Basically a conservative follow the leader on the track and some fun at the skip pad.

But the TTS - no way Jose. Those things are hammered with extreme prejudice. I was so impressed by how tough they were, it inspired me to buy a Turbo a few years ago.
The Carreras are properly used on the track on the RSR course. Redline as much as you can. Seldom we would finish a day without a car crapping out for a reason or another. The manual car are constantly over-revved, although there's a limiter for it. We also take them to the dry and wet skidpads. More abuse.

The seats and steering wheel are tires by the end of their tenure. And for those that believe that those engines need to be babysitted as new, I personally got cars with delivery miles and went WOT. I got a beautiful carmine red TTS once literally from the truck, not even stickers, straight to the track. The only cars they treat lightly in the begin are the GT cars, which are driven by the instructors first until they build miles on them.

It's all foods for some, what cannot be in my opinion are dealers hiding or being less than honest about where the cars came from. Demo is a very generic term. Due your homework and ask directly where did it come from. CPO is no guarantee of a well treated car or problem free. CPO is a joke.

Quick Reply: Demo 992 Over 50 Faults