Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket audio upgrade with Bose - what speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 12:04 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 648 Posts

Just did an speaker swap and sound deadening on the Bose system.

Front Tweeter - dynauadio m102
Door Mid - focal ic bmw 100 (coaxial)
Door Woofer - audison ap 8 (300W)

Blanketed the doors with SoundSheild. Installer was a veteran and tightened up a lot on re-installation. Annoying vibrations or rattles are gone.

Seems kinda eclectic as I had installed the tweeters myself from Rennspec and the Audison coaxial mid speakers were too deep and didnt fit. 4" Audison mids do fit and require and adapter.
However, the Focal coaxials were a perfect fit with no adapters required, including screw holes, and are a higher quality speaker.

Overall, sound is hugely improved...great instrument detail and tight sound at high volume. Im a rocker so dont need a low frequency sub to enjoy most music. Kick pedal is very clear with Audison woofers and the guitar now penetrates. Before the sound treatment , the tweeter upgrade really made cymbals shimmer...that one is no brainer.

I think the door treatment and tweeters did most of the heavy lifting but if you have the panels off...may as well treat yourself.

The following 5 users liked this post by Pad Bender:
balucipher (10-01-2022), Diablo Dude (10-03-2022), dixonk (10-01-2022), Mikster (10-08-2022), Zakato70 (11-02-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 04:48 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
Just did an speaker swap and sound deadening on the Bose system.

Blanketed the doors with SoundSheild. Installer was a veteran and tightened up a lot on re-installation. Annoying vibrations or rattles are gone.

Seems kinda eclectic as I had installed the tweeters myself from Rennspec and the Audison coaxial mid speakers were too deep and didnt fit. 4" Audison mids do fit and require and adapter.
However, the Focal coaxials were a perfect fit with no adapters required, including screw holes, and are a higher quality speaker.

Overall, sound is hugely improved...great instrument detail and tight sound at high volume. Im a rocker so dont need a low frequency sub to enjoy most music. Kick pedal is very clear with Audison woofers and the guitar now penetrates. Before the sound treatment , the tweeter upgrade really made cymbals shimmer...that one is no brainer.

I think the door treatment and tweeters did most of the heavy lifting but if you have the panels off...may as well treat yourself.
Quick follow up questions:
Not sure I understand all your comments but as I understand the focal door mid do fit w/o adapter but the woofer audison ap 8 does need an adapter? What about the tweeter? Somewhere I saw an adapter for that too.

Old 11-02-2022, 11:54 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Quick follow up questions:
Not sure I understand all your comments but as I understand the focal door mid do fit w/o adapter but the woofer audison ap 8 does need an adapter? What about the tweeter? Somewhere I saw an adapter for that too.

No adapter needed for focal mid and audison ap8.

Dynaudio and similar front tweeters need an adapter (rennspec did mine but no longer in business) and now Musicar offers tweeter package. Otherwise, i believe you can drop in a burmester tweeter without an adapter, which apparently is harsher.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-...992-gt3-4.html

My stereo shop was gonna charge me $80 for an adapter with audison mids until we found the focal's just popped in perfectly.

I have to say...i am still very impressed with the instrumentation detail with this speaker setup and sound deadening.

Last edited by Pad Bender; 11-03-2022 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:59 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

No adapter needed for focal mid and audison ap8.

Dynaudio and similar front tweeters need an adapter (rennspec did mine but no longer in business) and now Musicar offers tweeter package. Otherwise, i believe you can drop in a burmester tweeter without an adapter, which apparently is harsher.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-...992-gt3-4.html

My stereo shop was gonna charge me $80 for an adapter with audison mids until we found the focal's just popped in perfectly.

I have to say...i am still very impressed with the instrumentation detail with this speaker setup and sound deadening.
Thanks, very helpful. I think I am going to tackle that next. Looks you used much more sound deadening than the Musicar guys?
The speaker swap seems straightforward enough but can you help me making sure I look at the correct speakers?
Focal: I found the IC BMW 100L. Correct? https://www.woofersetc.com/focal-ic-...-speakers.html
Audison: I found the AP8 here (or do we also need to select the BMW variant?)
Amazon Amazon
Both, mid and woofer are direct drop-in but what about connectors? Are they Porsche specific or generic?
Thanks a lot for your help!

PS: What about the speakers in rear? When I turn fader to rear they don't sound good.

Last edited by Tobeit; 11-03-2022 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-03-2022, 02:09 AM
applianceschoice
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennspec.com
With the Bose system the biggest gains are going to be found when swapping out the midrange and tweeters (the center can be done as well, or just disconnected). The woofers can be upgraded, but the difference won’t be quite a dramatic without upgrading the stock Bose amp.

Focal has a few interesting options which could be a good fit, but a lot of their higher-end stuff will be overkill unless you are doing the amp.

We have a few pre-bundled packages, as well as a-la-carte adapters and wiring if you want to supply your own speakers.
Having experience with audio, I would think the real problems with the 992-s sound potential are the listening space, speaker placement and cabin noise. None of those are correctable aside from actual sound abatement which I would think would deprive a listener of the real music (the engine). So I haven't even thought about audio mods.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:22 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Thanks, very helpful. I think I am going to tackle that next. Looks you used much more sound deadening than the Musicar guys?
The speaker swap seems straightforward enough but can you help me making sure I look at the correct speakers?
Focal: I found the IC BMW 100L. Correct? https://www.woofersetc.com/focal-ic-...-speakers.html
Audison: I found the AP8 here (or do we also need to select the BMW variant?) https://www.amazon.com/Audison-Woofe.../dp/B00HZK77EK
Both, mid and woofer are direct drop-in but what about connectors? Are they Porsche specific or generic?
Thanks a lot for your help!

PS: What about the speakers in rear? When I turn fader to rear they don't sound good.
Yup...those are the right speakers.

Honestly, i know very little about the install. The tweeters units for Rennspec and Musicar are pre-assembled to be plug and play.

My installation guys didnt seem to have any challenges with the door speakers...but they were pros. I imagine that Bose uses pretty standard connectors, just like Focal and Audison. Key is to have well matched speakers for the amp, which they are.

My installers were quite liberal with the sound shield...overkill?...will never know. Road noise is better now.

As for the rear....it is a weak but a more involved install. My logic was to have the coaxial mid provide depth to the highs from the doors rather than relying on the rear tweeters. It is a front seat focused setup. I actually set the fader at +1, which seems to be a sweet spot. No need to touch the rear IMHO.

As for those talking about road noise and cabin environment...you are right. But, its all or nothing for me. Either crank a good stereo or rip a sweet engine with a killer exhaust. Feel like I can do it all now.

Last edited by Pad Bender; 11-03-2022 at 07:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pad Bender:
Mikster (11-03-2022), Tobeit (11-03-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 11:33 PM
applianceschoice
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup...those are the right speakers.

Honestly, i know very little about the install. The tweeters units for Rennspec and Musicar are pre-assembled to be plug and play.

My installation guys didnt seem to have any challenges with the door speakers...but they were pros. I imagine that Bose uses pretty standard connectors, just like Focal and Audison. Key is to have well matched speakers for the amp, which they are.

My installers were quite liberal with the sound shield...overkill?...will never know. Road noise is better now.

As for the rear....it is a weak but a more involved install. My logic was to have the coaxial mid provide depth to the highs from the doors rather than relying on the rear tweeters. It is a front seat focused setup. I actually set the fader at +1, which seems to be a sweet spot. No need to touch the rear IMHO.

As for those talking about road noise and cabin environment...you are right. But, its all or nothing for me. Either crank a good stereo or rip a sweet engine with a killer exhaust. Feel like I can do it all now.
Thanks for your kind response. i got it
Old 11-05-2022, 07:41 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 288 Posts

Pad Bender - which speakers that you recommend and installed need adapters for 992S with Bose? Links to speakers and adapters appreciated.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:29 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patriot
Pad Bender - which speakers that you recommend and installed need adapters for 992S with Bose? Links to speakers and adapters appreciated.
Im no expert so dont want to give bad info...

Dyaudio tweeters need adapters. Pretty sure Burmester tweeters will pop in without adapter.
Focal mids do not.
Audison woofers (pretty sure they did need an adaptor)

Here are some pictures from the install..

te

Old 05-15-2023, 10:19 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Im no expert so dont want to give bad info...

Dyaudio tweeters need adapters. Pretty sure Burmester tweeters will pop in without adapter.
Focal mids do not.
Audison woofers (pretty sure they did need an adaptor)

Here are some pictures from the install..

te

Reviving an old thread. I need to replace my door woofers and looked into the Audison AP8. But the once I can find online do not look anything like the once on your picture. Also, it needs a custom adapter and wire harness. Any idea where to get the woofer you have and adapters to mount and wire it up?
Old 05-16-2023, 11:25 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

I went to a reputable stereo shop to do the install...so not sure how they managed the wiring.

For sure it was Audison AP8 300w I used for the woofer. Almost sure we didnt have to use an adapter.

Last edited by Pad Bender; 05-16-2023 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:58 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

I went to a reputable stereo shop to do the install...so not sure how they managed the wiring.

For sure it was Audison AP8 300w I used for the woofer. Almost sure we didnt have to use an adapter.
Thanks - I could not find the proper AP8 but was lucky that my dealer replaced my blown woofer under warranty. They happened to have one in stock - lucky me. If someone is interested - Porsche's list price for one woofer is $499. So, next time it blows and no warranty claim I will pick an aftermarket woofer like AP8.
The following users liked this post:
Pad Bender (05-18-2023)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket audio upgrade with Bose - what speakers?