Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creating an iPhone Internet/Hotspot Shortcut Button

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2021 | 03:19 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Default Creating an iPhone Internet/Hotspot Shortcut Button

So I must confess. I DO NOT use the AT&T service to connect the car/PCM to the internet. First it's terribly slow and Second, it actually costs real money. I do have unlimited internet access with Verizon on my iPhone. Which, while this also costs real money, I already have it and in southern California AT&T service is pretty bad. The bugger is that if the iPhone's Hotspot is not being used, Apple in their infinite wisdom, decided to have it turn off automatically. Even if you have your iPhone's Wireless Hotspot selected to stay on, if it's not being used constantly, it'll turn itself off. What fun! So, what I've had to do up till now, is to launch the "Settings" function and then select the "Personal Hotspot" line item to wake the iPhone's Wireless hotspot up, so that the PCM can see it and connect. This task is there right along with the shutting off of the Automatic Stop Start nonsense.

The attached pdf file will take you step by step how to put an icon on your home screen that with one touch launches and/or reawakens the Wireless Hotspot on an iPhone. Within 5-15 seconds of having done so the PCM will see it and will automatically log in. It's still a Button Push, but at least it's now at the level of the Automatic Stop Start.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bluehighways; 05-16-2021 at 03:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TheGreatJ (05-17-2021)
Old 05-16-2021 | 09:47 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

As bit of an update. I've discovered that I can now tell Siri verbally to turn the "Hot Spot" on. She'll/It'll do that without any other nonsense and the PCM will log in to the internet within about 10 seconds following this.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 05-16-2021 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2021 | 08:11 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

From: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.

Good work!
The following users liked this post:
Tedster (05-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Creating an iPhone Internet/Hotspot Shortcut Button