Sponsored by:

First impressions following a (glorious) 400 mile trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021 | 06:12 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default First impressions following a (glorious) 400 mile trip

Being mindful to not push the car and never past 4,000rpm, I found the ride and handling superb. The seat was comfortable but I wouldn't have minded a little more thorax support as in my long gone 911 T with the Recaro seats. Nevertheless, they were comfortable.

Not sure what folks were referring to when regretting or patting themselves for having ordered (or not) the sound deadening glass. Through heaves and uneven pavement (after all this is break-up season or it just ended), the road was far from pristine. We talked in a normal voice and the outside sound at no time intruded into the cabin. Yes, we occasionally encountered another vehicle either in front (SO annoying...) or on the opposite lane but nothing worth noting. Whether this is the same on I495, I10 or H3 I have no idea (nor do I really want to compare) but I didn't notice anything. No noise from the tires inside the cabin.

An absolutely annoying item were the dash gauges. Unless you constantly drive with a copilot, the two out-most gauges are absolutely and totally useless. You can't see them other than if you peek at them from the side by lifting your body up and to the side. I was never a fan of all these digital gizmos and much prefer the original analog gauges, but this is useless and amazing this actually passed Porsche's strict quality control.

The Homelink set up with no issues, so again I don't know whether this is due to the new software (which according to the dealer I don't have) or just plain luck but it works

A definite word of caution: CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE. Mine were inflated to 48 front and back IIRC. I don't know why whether this is a shipping issue where they over inflate to ensure it doesn't deflate in transit, but whatever it is CHECK THE PRESSURE as if driving with these kind of numbers you'll be way over 53psi. I was issued with PZeros not Contis and 20/21" rims.

Do miss the duck tail. Even TOWMBO remarked (and she's the one who's after me about wasting money...) it just doesn't look complete sans the "table" as she calls it. Shame, perhaps down the road, but the duck (not the aerokit) would just take it over the top.

Heated seat and steering are time sensitive. Meaning that if you have them on and get to an intermediate stop, switch the engine off and come back in short time it will remember them as being activated. Any longer and it's unable to remember such basic settings I can see this being a pain in the winter.

Coupled with disabling (manually ever time - unless you program Sport as your default mode) ***, enabling Sport Exhaust, disengaging the parking brake, setting it to Manual I always end up forgetting one of them. So it's more like a checklist for a plane. It would truly be nice if such basic settings as heated seat and steering, manual shift and a list of provided options could be checked as default on Start. As it is you just spend time doing the same over and over. Yes, muscle memory takes over but...

Installed the frunkliner with no problems, so now to give it a bath to get rid of the dirt.

400 miles in and very happy now I need to find out why my Launch can't change what I want and what I could do on the Macan

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 04-24-2021 at 09:11 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by siberian:
aggie57 (04-24-2021), bobblehead (04-24-2021), detansinn (04-24-2021), lucycan (04-30-2021), Richard_Wallace (04-25-2021), russbert (04-25-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-24-2021 | 06:22 PM
coastal
Instructor

I read some comments the struts on the frunk didn't like the extra weight of the liner. What do you think?

Glad you finally got your car and can enjoy it!

Last edited by coastal; 04-24-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2021 | 06:31 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sort of the general idea of thorax support, but I was more into the Recaro approach.

It's really not that heavy. As I just installed it I don't have an issue with it and it holds it fine.

A last quick thought that the access to the battery is ... having to remove a large plastic cover to get to it. Also I didn't see a Plus or Ground on the battery (LiFePO4) as I couldn't trace the ground from the battery. Starting to do the mods I wanted to hook up the trickle charger. So I just got a voltmeter to make sure and can confirm that the POSITIVE terminal is on the LEFT post as you look at the battery from the front of the vehicle. Do NOT connect the ground of the charger to the battery. A Ground (silver) terminal is on the right side of the frunk nestled between brake lines or ...

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 04-24-2021 at 06:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
coastal (04-24-2021)

Quick Reply: First impressions following a (glorious) 400 mile trip