Review my C4S build

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 02:06 AM
leaf345
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by riwu
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1173...l#post16284437
This post discussed several disadvantages of leather (many online articles too).
Nobody's going to call a 992 cheap for not having leather anyway.
Is the look alone really worth it for the $3.8k premium + costlier maintenance + unhealthy smell?
TBH, I think the leather should be standard in a Porsche. Your choice though.
The following users liked this post:
Mikster (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 12:19 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 511 Likes on 264 Posts

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMHMHJD8
Any comments on the build?
Just had an allocation from a dealer and will be sending in the order in the next few days.

I'm a first-time Porsche buyer (previously drove a BMW M3), been reading a lot about options on this forum but just want to see if I'm missing anything critical or adding anything unnecessary.
The C4S will be for daily driving in NYC, with occasional road trips out of the city (and potentially migrating to CA in the future).
No plans for tracking, but I drive aggressively when alone and comfort mode when with passengers (hence both the Premium and Sports packages).
I do not care about aesthetics (hence no leather interiors), unless it's something that would make resale difficult.
You are aware that PASM results in an ever day stiffer ride . Unless you are going to track the car, go for a more compliant ride.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:22 PM
riwu
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
You are aware that PASM results in an ever day stiffer ride . Unless you are going to track the car, go for a more compliant ride.
You mean PASM Sport Suspension (Lowered 10mm)? Couldn't it be turned off when not needed?
It comes for free with the Sport Package (unless I don't include Sport Chrono or Sport Exhaust).
Old 03-30-2021, 02:02 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 954 Posts

You mean PASM Sport Suspension (Lowered 10mm)? Couldn't it be turned off when not needed?
It comes for free with the Sport Package (unless I don't include Sport Chrono or Sport Exhaust).
I went back and forth on the PASM Sport (aka SPASM) and did include it as part of the Sport Package. It is not free. It reduces the price of the PASM Sport from $1000 or so to around $400 I think. I want to say it was $600 in savings as opposed to line iteming them.

Here is my understanding. Both the regular suspension, PASM, has a Sport and a Normal mode. The PASM Sport adds stiffer anti-roll bars, the rear spoiler can extend a bit futher/higher, the care is lowered 10mm, AND it has its own Normal and Sport modes.

To my knowledge the Sport mode on the PASM Sport is stiffer/sportier than the Sport mode in a regular PASM car, but the Normal mode on a PASM Sport car is not much different from a regular PASM in Normal, only that it is a little firmer, but not rough, and that some will tell you the Normal mode in a regular PASM car is a little too soft.

To makes sure I wanted it, I drove a C4S with Sport PASM and went back and forth between Normal and Sport and decided the car felt like something I wanted to drive. That and RAS were my toughest options decisions.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:26 PM
riwu
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I went back and forth on the PASM Sport (aka SPASM) and did include it as part of the Sport Package. It is not free. It reduces the price of the PASM Sport from $1000 or so to around $400 I think. I want to say it was $600 in savings as opposed to line iteming them.

Here is my understanding. Both the regular suspension, PASM, has a Sport and a Normal mode. The PASM Sport adds stiffer anti-roll bars, the rear spoiler can extend a bit futher/higher, the care is lowered 10mm, AND it has its own Normal and Sport modes.

To my knowledge the Sport mode on the PASM Sport is stiffer/sportier than the Sport mode in a regular PASM car, but the Normal mode on a PASM Sport car is not much different from a regular PASM in Normal, only that it is a little firmer, but not rough, and that some will tell you the Normal mode in a regular PASM car is a little too soft.

To makes sure I wanted it, I drove a C4S with Sport PASM and went back and forth between Normal and Sport and decided the car felt like something I wanted to drive. That and RAS were my toughest options decisions.
Just to clarify, you decided that Sport PASM is better? Is the -10mm a fixed feature or do you press a button to lower/increase it by 10mm?

The Sport Chrono Package + Sport Exhaust cost $5740 while the Sport Package that includes them + PASM Sport cost $5460, so essentially the PASM Sport is free if you are getting Chrono+Sport Exhaust anyway (in fact, it's an extra saving of $260).
Is my understanding not correct?

Last edited by riwu; 04-06-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:00 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

I live in New Jersey and drive into NYC a lot. You definitely don't want SPASM and don't need PDCC. You need the suspension travel on those horrible streets. PDCC is really for the porky, high CG SUVs. The 992 does not exhibit any body roll.

As to leather, I am with you. People forget that Porsche was NEVER known for fancy luxury interiors. My C2s build locks soon and I skipped the leather option. I consider it an affectation, but then again my build is purely sports oriented and optioned as such. Most people will never notice the difference. Expensive doe NOT have to mean luxury. To me, it's all about the engineering. And that sun shining on the leather dash WILL deteriorate it sooner.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:03 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,980 Likes on 804 Posts

Just to clarify, you decided that Sport PASM is better? Is the -10mm a fixed feature or do you press a button to lower/increase it by 10mm?

The Sport Chrono Package + Sport Exhaust cost $5740 while the Sport Package that includes them + PASM Sport cost $5460, so essentially the PASM Sport is free if you are getting Chrono+Sport Exhaust anyway (in fact, it's an extra saving of $260).
Is my understanding not correct?
Sport PASM comes equipped with shorter springs that lowers the car 10mm along with firmer shocks so the car is permanently 10mm lower and you cannot raise it, unless you get the front axle lift (FAL) which only raises the front of the car by a good 30 mm or so to allow you to clear bumps and dips. If you get the FAL, there is a toggle switch that lets you raise and lower the car plus the 2021 and newer 911s saves the GPS locations where you raised and lowered the car and will automatically do it for you as you approach the driveway or bump in the road, etc. as long as you are going below a certain speed (something like 30 mph).
Old 04-11-2021, 01:41 AM
riwu
Instructor

Originally Posted by SBAD
I live in New Jersey and drive into NYC a lot. You definitely don't want SPASM and don't need PDCC. You need the suspension travel on those horrible streets. PDCC is really for the porky, high CG SUVs. The 992 does not exhibit any body roll.

As to leather, I am with you. People forget that Porsche was NEVER known for fancy luxury interiors. My C2s build locks soon and I skipped the leather option. I consider it an affectation, but then again my build is purely sports oriented and optioned as such. Most people will never notice the difference. Expensive doe NOT have to mean luxury. To me, it's all about the engineering. And that sun shining on the leather dash WILL deteriorate it sooner.
Ok I will get rid of SPASM (ironically this removal would cost me $260 extra as you can't use Sport Package anymore).

Do you think FAL is necessary for driving in NY/NJ?
Old 04-11-2021, 02:03 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 511 Likes on 264 Posts

All black interior is so boring ! Consider a seat with a cloth center and leather side bolsters.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:34 PM
SBAD
Pro

Ok I will get rid of SPASM (ironically this removal would cost me $260 extra as you can't use Sport Package anymore).

Do you think FAL is necessary for driving in NY/NJ?
Ugh, that stinks that dropping SPASM costs you.

As to FAL, I think it depends primarily on your driveway. I did not get it because in general, it seems most people here find negotiating a curb or bump at an angle is fine. However, if my driveway were a challenge, then I would get it. Once on the road, I rarely encounter situations where I think FAL would be helpful.

Honestly, my biggest fear is pot holes. So much so that I would prefer the 19 inch wheels to the 20/21 inch ones. I'm almost positive I will damage at least one rim on the car at some point.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:35 PM
SBAD
Pro

Originally Posted by malibu515
All black interior is so boring ! Consider a seat with a cloth center and leather side bolsters.
LOL - that's so mean to show that!

Quick Reply: Review my C4S build