Sponsored by:

Remedying noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 01:49 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Remedying noise

I have read a great deal in Rennlist about a very large number of squeaks and rattles owners have experienced with their 992's. Mine will be delivered in the next few weeks, and I was curious about something. When unwanted noises are noted by Porsche service departments, are they reported to the factory, and with sufficient quantity, do these complaints generate changes to the production line? For instance, there have been a lot of complaints about door card, Bose speaker and seat noises, and I'm wondering whether Porsche is quick to address this during manufacturing, or whether they just issue TSB's and leave it to their dealers to remedy. Beyond noises, I am also wondering whether it is routine for minor changes to be made on the assembly line, especially once a TSB has been issued for a specific problem. I have toured the Porsche factory in Zuffenshausen and was impressed by how fastidious everything seemed to be, but I forgot to ask these questions. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:37 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Rest assured, if your car is making weird and annoying noises, Porsche will take care of you under warranty. Most people have no issues, but you don't see that here, because it makes for a boring RennList thread. :P
Old 03-22-2021, 06:18 PM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

We got our Cab on December 22 and it already has 3500 miles on it, which should tell you how much we love it. No unusual noises, tight as a drum.
If you do run into something, as detansinn says, Porsche will take care of you.
Good luck from a fellow MD owner!
Old 03-22-2021, 06:23 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

You may hear crickets.....

I don't mean that as a figure of speech. I literally mean that you may hear crickets. But that's "normal"
Old 03-22-2021, 07:12 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Thanks for the feedback, but I was inquiring more about Porsche's response to customer complaints about noise or other irritations. I have always wondered whether they collect owner comments around the world and translate them into actual manufacturing changes. A prime example would be the very frequent complaints about Bose speaker buzzing. Is it correct to assume that this has been remedied on the assembly line? I also wonder whether the many technical service bulletins they issue to their dealers are always preceded by a factory intervention to correct the problems, or whether they continue to churn out cars with known potential maladies on the assumption that the dealer will fix them as instructed by the TSB's. All this may be hidden behind a veil, and people on Rennlist may not know how Porsche handles this process. My hope, of course, is that Porsche monitors Rennlist as well as collects dealer comments and makes running changes. I doubt that such a process exists for Chevies, but maybe a premium product like Porsche is different.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:41 PM
Jon35
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

I was worried about same as far as QC but 3K miles in I have no issues and the only extraneous sound I had was the keyring on my key vibrating - now I just keep it in my pocket. Actually the only QC issue I had was the PPI technician who overfilled my coolant which led to an overspill and an unnecessary trip on a flat bed to the dealer. That was a stateside issue.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:53 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,058 Likes on 533 Posts

I dont know to think about 992 QC. My first 2020 992 PDK leaked and I had a mystery front end clunk. Porsche bought the car back without much hassle at all other than waiting a month for my check. My 2nd 2020 992 has this cricket/gear like clicking noise at low speed that I can clearly hear. Dealers at first agreed with me that something didnt sound right, but later said Porsche said it was normal. I keep relations with the lady who handled my first buy back regarding my 2nd 992's clicking. She was open to buying this one back too. I mean, we didnt go down that road. But she was front and center regarding my 2nd one not being turn key go happy.

So do I think Porsche corporate has you back say something is deflective. YES. Am I happy about my 992 experience? Yes and no. I love the car. Love the performance. But the 0-2 with PDK leaking and front end issues and or with them making odd noises that drive me nuts. I sometimes wish I stayed in my 2019 GTS and just waiting until 992.2.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 03-22-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:04 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 81 Posts

I took delivery of my C4S with 10 miles on the clock last Tuesday and now up to 323 miles. No significant squeaks or rattles so far with the exception of some very light buzzing in the passenger side door on my first drive and the interior road noise was high. Being mindful the delivery tire pressures are high, I asked the dealer to reduce them from 45 PSI (rear) to the comfort range of around 38 PSI (rear). That made a MASSIVE difference to the interior noise in the car. The buzzing went away ( no idea what it was) and the car is much. much quieter inside. Otherwise really impressed with the rock-solid build quality of everything.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:10 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

One bit of advice: don't "modify" your car if you do initially have a few creaks/squeaks/rattles. Two of my three 911s have had zero "noise" problems, but one had an intermittent squeaking issue that was really hard to localize. Unfortunately, I had run a wire from my 12v passenger footwell socket up the A pillar to the windshield and also across the top of the door to the C pillar to power a rear dash cam. Porsche techs spent hours tearing out interior trim given their assumption that I had messed something up while tucking that wire in with a trim tool (and they would probably have charged me if they could prove it was my fault). In the end they found no issues in the interior and it actually turned out to be an easily corrected factory installation issue in the rear suspension (completely isolated from the car interior) - they ultimately charged me nothing to fix it, of course. So my advice is to forego those tempting custom trim upgrades from Suncoast or those highly recommended wind diffusers or hardwired dashcams/radar detectors until you're happy with your perfectly quiet 992. Then go for it
The following users liked this post:
phefner (03-22-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 08:41 AM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

9th Jan delivery for my C4S.

Passenger door rattle, gets worse the warmer the car gets, can muffle it by shoving a rolled up towel in the door grab.

Porsche had one go at fixing it back in February, they are having another go next week.

deal breaker? No. Annoying? Very!

also noticed a bit of plastic wrap sticking out where the central tunnel joins the carpet, I’m not pulling on it, garage can sort that out when it goes in.

Other than the mirror already having a chunk out of it from a stone, the rear arch guards taking a beating from stones, 1100 miles in and nothing else troubling to report, other than my small brain being too slow to keep up with how quick the car actually is 😉

Now the wife’s Macan, air suspension shock went before delivery, delayed picking up whilst it was replaced, TPMS had to be completely replaced (tyre sensors, arch sensors, black box under the bonnet) after 3 months, then new windscreen after 4 months as it was chipped and scratched to bits. Otherwise, solid and safe car, super comfy and far better than the BMW/Merc alternatives we looked at.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:09 AM
MarkerGT01
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 21 Posts

In reply to your specific question about changes on the assembly line, I believe that answer is yes. (And “Hi” from Severna Park.)

My car (2020 C4S) went to the shop (Bethesda) for two weeks this month for rattles in both door cards. When they returned the car to me I noticed on their paperwork that it included two new pieces of door insulation. When I asked about this, the tech told me that it was something the 2021s now had, and they took apart my 2020 doors and basically rebuilt them as the 2021s were built. There is now a TSB/recall for this process.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:12 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

I had a Bose rattle. Way worse than I thought it would be. The stereo was completely unlistenable. That one was fixed pretty quickly. They even had extra woofers on hand.

Otherwise - I think every car I've owned has some creaks and occasional rattles. I don't really notice that much anymore.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:42 AM
Gentian21
Racer

MarkerGT01, hello to you as well. Did the work on the doors solve the problem?
Old 03-29-2021, 11:49 AM
MarkerGT01
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, it has resolved all door card noises (for now anyways.). I’d already had the Bose speakers replaced.

Of course, I get in it this morning and there’s a new rattle from the cowl. Only lasted a few minutes then went away, thankfully.

Quick Reply: Remedying noise