Reserve Fuel Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 03:11 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,952 Likes on 5,210 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Wait - what? That sounds scary -- our Porsche's know how to deal with E85? What's the benefit?
Yes, the 911 can take E85.

Benefit? E85 generally has an octane rating higher than that of regular gasoline's typical rating of 87, or premium gasoline's 91-93. This allows it to be used in higher-compression engines, which will produce more power per unit of displacement than gasoline counterparts.

If you're in colder climates, you might need to run something closer to E70,
because the higher ignition temperature of the ethanol will prevent your car from starting up in cold/freezing weather.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:37 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Do not run E85 in your Porsche without upgrading your fuel system, pumps, gaskets, and sometimes even injectors to deal with it. You need to be pushing a much greater volume of fuel with E85. The stuff wreaks havoc with a fuel system not designed to run it along with exciting new corrosion issues.

Money is better spent on a set of Pure Turbos from the M Engineering folks. Leave the “cheap” E85 power to the Subaru folks, etc
The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 06:53 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Mb111
Question when filling up: I usually drive until it shows less than 20 miles or less left in my tank because I live in a densely populated area that has a large number of places to get gas. When I go to fill it up, it usually 'stops' filling after I've pumped somewhere between 14-14.5 gallons of gas. When I say stop filling, I mean the pump handle pops and I have to squeeze again to start the gas flowing again. When that first stop occurs, and I start it again, I usually can fill another .75-1 gallon before it pops again, and then I can usually fill a little more one more time, totaling close to 15,5 gallons pumped. I'm trying to figure out why the handle pops when I'm filling when the tank can clearly take 1-2 more gallons. I guess I'm also assuming that the distance remaining includes the reserve and that I'm down to about a gallon when it says 20 miles left. Naturally I don't want to overfill and have gas shooting back at me, but I'd like to get as close to a full tank as I possibly can. Next one I'll get the extended size tank...
I asked the dealer and on the forum about this and apparently it’s just normal and depends on the pump used. Something about the angle of the pump nozzle due to the front fender. I’ve found a specific pump at a specific station that doesn’t shut off early. The rest are 2-3 tries to fill full. I turn the car off and turn accessory power back on and watch the fuel gauge go to full to make sure the tank is full.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:22 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
In the owner's manual, it says under Filling Quantities: "17 gallons with a reserve of approximately 2.1 gallons (vehicles with PDK) or approximately 2.6 gallons (vehicles with manual transmission)".

Does this means that there is a separate reserve tank that comes into play when the main tank is nearly depleted? If not, what does reserve capacity mean and what practical use does it have? In other words, if the total tank capacity is 17 gallons, why does it matter that there is a reserve of 2.1 or 2.6 gallons? Is it only that the low fuel warning light comes on when the tank reaches these levels?
I've never had a car with a "Reserve Fuel Tank." The low fuel light, whatever, indicates you've reached a level of fuel that implies you need to get to a gas station rather quickly. This typically reflects about 2 gallons and/or 50/60 miles before you run out of fuel. From my experience, it's wise to refuel prior to getting to the dregs in the fuel tank, primarily because the fuel pump in the tank can overheat and fail if it's not submerged in fuel for cooling (I may be wrong on this ... I'm just a dumb ole fighter pilot). Fuel gauges are generally close, whether you drive a Bug or a Turbo S. When the indicator is down around 1/8th of capacity, it's time to refuel. OBTW, this applies to fighters in blue water ops. You'd rather land prior to seeing the low fuel light. Especially when there's nowhere else to park when you run out of gas.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:32 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,336 Likes on 1,390 Posts

That looks like a Crusader from where I sit...thank you for your service!

siberian
Old 11-21-2021, 10:51 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Thanks, it was a great, sometimes scary, ride.

Quick Reply: Reserve Fuel Capacity