Sponsored by:

PPF and Long Term Paint Depth/Shine

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 04:35 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Yeah, same shop charges $15k for custom wrapped edge install with ceramic. The $10k job is not even full custom. Non-negotiable. Unbelievable.

For those lucky to find a good shop with reasonable prices -- count yourself lucky.
This is some seriously insane pricing. Cost of materials couldn't be more than $500. Say it's $1000. That means $14K in labor for, what? 1 week of labor? 40 hours? $14,000/40 hours = $350/hour. They are probably paying the person who does the job no more than $20/hour. Even if they are getting paid $50/hour it's a super healthy profit margin.

Anybody know of any good, reasonably priced PPF installer in the greater Phoenix AZ area? If this is going to cost more than $5K to 6K for full body wrap, I think I'm going to just skip it completely and deal wth the rock chips over time. Couldn't cost more than that to respray the front bumper and hood several times over.
The following users liked this post:
Go Bruins (05-09-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 08:04 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 936 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
This is some seriously insane pricing. Cost of materials couldn't be more than $500. Say it's $1000. That means $14K in labor for, what? 1 week of labor? 40 hours? $14,000/40 hours = $350/hour. They are probably paying the person who does the job no more than $20/hour. Even if they are getting paid $50/hour it's a super healthy profit margin.

Anybody know of any good, reasonably priced PPF installer in the greater Phoenix AZ area? If this is going to cost more than $5K to 6K for full body wrap, I think I'm going to just skip it completely and deal wth the rock chips over time. Couldn't cost more than that to respray the front bumper and hood several times over.
Well, if you use the precut kits, you can apply this stuff yourself. I've done it once on an MB, just on front facing surfaces and headlights. It's not that hard, lots of slip solution of water and baby shampoo and a plastic squeegee.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:26 PM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-Day
This is an extremely bizarre thing that rural PA municipalities do. I'm not aware of any other state that does this, but maybe there are some.

To give non-PA people an idea how insane this is - Imagine all the side roads around your area. They are older paving, and not perfect but they are still pretty smooth, certainly drivable (even in your fancy new sports car!), and they will not require repaving for several years. Now take this perfectly acceptable road surface and spray a thin layer of hot tar all across the road for miles in every direction. Crazy, right? It gets worse... Now you finish the road off by the dumping a layer of loose small gravel all over the top of the tar. I guess in theory, the tar is supposed to seal the gravel to the road surface and provide a little more lifespan to the asphalt so it does not need repaving quite as often. But in reality, all your roads are completely covered with tar and rocks that kick up and chip and bond all over your vehicle. This is done on all the side roads around your house in every direction for miles, and you cannot avoid driving on these tar and gravel covered roads unless you just stay home. Welcome to rural PA!
Hunterdon County, NJ does this as well on less-traveled roads. It's mind boggling in the 4th richest county on the East Coast.

Quick Reply: PPF and Long Term Paint Depth/Shine