- Extra leather
- Sport Design Package
- Side decal
- Colored seat belts
- Gas cap
- Black brake calipers

Add:
- Bose
- 14-ways seats (solves backrest shells issue)
- Front sports design or side skirts only (pick the one you want the most)
- ACC (a must have for a DD)
I'd agree with all that but the 14 v 18 is a fit preference.
He may like the Black Calipers better. I like the Red but to each his own.

And ACC is not available on a Manual for is it a must have in many driver's minds.
The following users liked this post:
Gables (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021 | 02:13 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
OK, So I've got you down to $146,900 by deleting options that do little if anything to enhance the appearance or the drivability of the car and by selecting some options that automatically get you a lot of what you were selecting ala carte.

The Code I generated for this build is: PMIYTXB0

What I would delete:
  • "911 Carrera S" Side Decal for $560.00 FWIW, you know it's a Porsche and for those that don't, the label will not help them. Should you regret this deletion, it can always be added later and at a minor fraction of the price Porsche wants for it.
  • Fuel Cap that looks like Aluminum for $160.00. The only person that is going to see this is you and even then, only when you're putting gas in it. If you're not going to drive around with your gas door in the open position, this option has no value IMHO.
  • PDCC for $3,170.00 A rather complex system that on the street has little to no value. I seriously doubt if many folks can tell the difference between a car with it or one without.
  • RAS for $2,090 Unless you live in center city and/or have a really tough time getting into and out of your usual parking spots, this is more of a curiosity than something that actually adds any value.
  • FAL $2,770 I do not have FAL. In my neighborhood, just to get to and from my house there are five very large speed bumps. As long as I keep it at or under 15 mph (not hard to do) I clear everything as well as my driveway. That and my driveway has a sharp enough uptick to set off the cars collision alarm (as well as our BMW's alarm) , but I don't scrape anything on either car.
  • Colored Seat Belts $540.00. Nope! Not unless you want to be scrubbing them later to keep them looking nice. Seat Belts are magnets for normal human oil and sweat. As you handle them they will act like flypaper for any dust and dirt. It will not take long for this to rear its ugly head.
  • Sport Seat backs in Leather $1,900.00. Can't be seen and will take abuse from anything or anyone you put behind your drivers or passengers seats. Unless you're buying a Cabriolet this option has about as much value as an Aluminum looking Gas Cap, and for essentially the same reason..
  • Burmester Sound System for $3,980.00 If you're going to sit in your car and listen to music with the engine off . . . . maybe. But going down the road; between the tire noise and the sound of the engine . . . . even the Bose System is serious overkill.
What I added:
  • The Premium Package $5,350.00 This package includes an awful lot of the things you were ordering individually. (Don't do that! )
Ex: Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+), BOSE® Surround Sound System, Surround View, Lane Change Assist (LCA), Ventilated Seats (Front), Power Folding Mirrors incl. Courtesy Lighting, Ambient Lighting, Storage Package
^ I agree with this but ditch the Premium package. Just get the Bose

And the Sport package is a must, IMO.
Old 03-01-2021 | 03:44 PM
lucycan
Three Wheelin'

LOVE the Sports-Tex seats!

You could always spend $10k more and get a Turbo!
The following 2 users liked this post by lucycan:
AlexCeres (03-01-2021), Russian Mafia (03-03-2021)
Old 03-01-2021 | 04:27 PM
WCE
User

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by wintershade
I can afford it, but it just seems kind of crazy and will use most of the $200K discretionary "toy" budget my wife gives me annually.
Your leaving money on the table - get a turbo!
Old 03-01-2021 | 04:53 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Biggest issue with the TT is its PDK only and has much more aggressive styling and over 1 year to get an allocation. I want a manual right now.

Most likely, knowing myself, I’ll trade this in for a 992.2 TTS DD in a few years once I’ve picked up an air cooled manual along the way,

I’m at $155K now by dropping the various leather upgrades but keeping RWS. That feels like the right zip code, but makes the probability of an “upgrade” before 7-10 years a near certainty as I’ve never kept anything when I settled from the outset.
detansinn (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021 | 04:57 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

I’m gonna say pdcc and ras (have to have ras with pdcc) without spasm... makes a big difference to cornering.

with spasm, don’t bother with pdcc.

driven a few 992s, I like ras, I don’t like spasm, but I do like pdcc because of that.
Old 03-02-2021 | 12:51 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Get a C4.

You'll have the best anorexic 911 ever
Old 03-02-2021 | 11:14 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

If I order with the “911 Carrera 4S” side decal and get sick of it, is it easily removed? I know I’m in the minority, but I kind of like the sporty look. Every time I see a Carrera T I think that side stripe is pretty cool.
I feel like it would match the sporty, retro vibe of Sport Tex interior.
Old 03-03-2021 | 12:38 PM
phila12180
Racer

Preliminary Build Code: PMU79PJ2

I have an allocation for a C4S Coupe Build (locks mid-April). In my OCD quest for perfection, the build has swelled to over $170K thanks to $47K in options. I can afford it, but it just seems kind of crazy and will use most of the $200K discretionary "toy" budget my wife gives me annually. This is my first 911. It will be a second car used for a mix of 80% DD activities, 20% back-road cruising, and perhaps 1-2 track days per year. I'm hoping to NAIL this build and make it my DD for the next 7-10 years, but honestly I've never owned anything that long so am reluctant to overspend here and get creamed on a trade in (I hear cosmetic options in particular don't hold value well).

Here is my build code and the stuff that I'm struggling with most. My instinct is just go all-in here, because literally ANY TIME I compromise I've upgraded (to what I originally wanted) much sooner than I would have liked. But it really feels like $150-160K is what this car should cost.

Interior:
-- Sport-Tex w/ Chalk Stitch vs Black Leather w/ Chalk Stitch: I think the Sport-Tex looks super cool. Gives the car a sporty, retro vibe while also making it a bit more unique. I do worry I'll "get sick of it" or it will kill potential trade-in value (if I do get sick of it). Black leather is clearly the "safe" choice...
-- Brushed Aluminum Trim and Backrest Shells ($1900) -- I think Aluminum Trim ($1260) would look great with the Sport Tex seats and GT Silver Exterior, but the logical next step is to add $1900 Sport Seats Plus Backrest Shells in Leather with Brushed Aluminum Inlay to really pull everything together. But I mean, am I ever going to even look at the back of the seats, or is my toddler just going to smash the crap out of them (like in our X3). I really don't care for the plastic looking backs of the SS+ and in a Cab this would be a no-brainer because you can see them from outside the car, but in a coupe would I even notice? Seems like an easy place to save $2K.
-- Extended Dashboard and Door Panel Package in Leather ($3440) -- On one hand I want to maximize the classy refinement factor of the car, especially given the Sport-Tex, but on the flip side, this seems like a pricy option and is it in keeping with the sport spirit of the car?
-- Will Chalk seatbelts or Silver/Gray look better given chalk contrast stitching but GT Silver exterior?

Performance:
-- PDCC and RWS -- Combined this adds $5260 to the build. Given how little track work I'll be doing this seems the easiest thing to cut. I've never owned another 911, so I don't "know what I'd be missing." I can parallel park my X3 just fine thank you. I get the appeal of PDCC on a track for high-speed cornering but does it convey any benefit on New England backroads at NON-go-to-jail speeds. (If I ever got into DE again, I'd build a dedicated track car with all safety systems) like my old GTS3 prepped e36M3. I've crashed on the track years ago and would never push a street car past 7/10.
-- Front Axel Lift: $2700, not sure if I REALLY need it (driveway not especially steep, but there are some gnarly entrances to gas stations and I do plan to drive this car year round with snow on ground, so just seems like good insurance given the Sport Design kit and SPASM.

Audio:
-- Burmester (~$4K upgrade from the Bose). I listened to both at my dealership with the engine idling and not much attention paid to sources, etc. Neither blew me away and both were "acceptable". Bose was boomy and lacking definition, whereas the Burm sounded a bit harsh and fatiguing. I have a high-end HiFi setup and dedicated listening room at home, so the bar is pretty high. Honestly, I can't imagine either would sound great while actually driving (with road/engine/PSE etc.) just like my HiFi setup would sound like crap if we relocated our washer/drier into the listening room. So my instinct here is to drop the Burm for the Bose since neither really knocked my socks off.

Other Stuff:
-- Lightweight and Noice Isolated Glass: I'm kind of sold on this based on some youTube video by a Swedish guy. Gives the Bose/Burm a chance and doesn't interfere with the PSE.
-- LCA and Surround View: Crazy this adds $2500 to my build but comes standard on our nanny's Civic, but I've kind of come to depend on both
-- Sport Design Package with Side Skirts: Adds $6180, but frankly I don't much care for the looks of the care without the Sport Design Package (the rear especially) so that's unfortunately probably a non-negotiable. The side skirts I could probably take or leave, but seems like they'll complete the look.

Question to add:
— 18 Way Adaparive SS+: Personally I kind of prefer the 4-way SS+ because it’s easier/faster to slide them forward to get kids in the backseat and they are lower/lighter. But I worry, at this price point, would they be a “must have” for resale?

Thanks all for some tips in advance.
If you like it all and money is no object then go for it. Basically just about all of those options you "WANT" you do not really "NEED" any of them. The car will be awesome in its base form there is no right or wrong answer. It seems as though money is of little concern to you but generally the higher a car is optioned the greater the depreciation as a percentage of the original price.
Old 03-03-2021 | 01:24 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Biggest issue with the TT is its PDK only and has much more aggressive styling and over 1 year to get an allocation. I want a manual right now.

Most likely, knowing myself, I’ll trade this in for a 992.2 TTS DD in a few years once I’ve picked up an air cooled manual along the way,

I’m at $155K now by dropping the various leather upgrades but keeping RWS. That feels like the right zip code, but makes the probability of an “upgrade” before 7-10 years a near certainty as I’ve never kept anything when I settled from the outset.
This is how I approached it. My build came in at $149K including options that were far from necessary to tide me over until an allocation comes through for an upgrade which may take a year or so. Now I’m in no rush.
Old 03-21-2021 | 04:56 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Thanks to those who gave me input. After countless hours of obsessing -- here is the build I just sent to my SA. I only managed the cost down to $164K, but I'm pretty happy with how things look.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PM53D3L0

One of the members here suggested I give the "high gloss black" Sport Design Kit a try, and it's awesome. Saw it on a Turbo, and it solves my biggest gripe about the car, all the matte plastic. So I went a little nuts with Gloss Black accents, but I think it gives the car a sporty, distinctive look.

I'm sticking with the Sport Tex against my SA's advice who says it will hurt trade in (a bit of a gamble as I haven't seen it in person, but the photos shared here look great), but again, I just want something with a bit more character than Silver on Black. I dropped the Chalk contrast stitching, because I'm worried about too many shades of silver/gray/white. Once I did that, I don't see as much value in all the extended leather I had in the cabin, so dropped the leather seat backs, extended leather dash, door panels, cup holder, etc.

I decided to option the Burmester back in. I know... it's a loud 911 and probably a waste of money. But the Bose is just so underwhelming. As a music lover, I think I'll appreciate the Burm more than the extra leather.

What questions do I have left....
-- Will the Silver Porsche Logo clash with the Black Carrera 4S logo? I figure the slats and Exclusive exhaust have some silver so it should work? I don't really love how the black Porsche logo disappears into the tail light (as I'm not going for a "murdered out" look.
-- Will I regret not springing for the extended leather? I'm worried about interior looking "cheap" with the Sport Tex and not enough leather. The extra leather is nice for sure, but seems like I'd notice it less without the contrast stitching. And were do you draw the line!? If I do the dash and door panels for $3400, it's like.. why not do the steering tunnel for $500 and the cup holder for $340, and the upper mirror for $540.... on and on....
-- Am I nuts to take a gamble on the Sport-Tex. On such a highly optioned car, I know I'd get creamed on a trade in if I don't like them. I could save $960 by speccing leather and the Premium Package. Black leather would be safer for sure, just seems kind of boring. And I don't like the other two-tone leather packages unfortunately.
-- I went with 4 way SS+ rather than 18 way. I'd love the back-up mirror dip, but sort of prefer the ease/speed of moving seat fore-aft for rear access. But I do worry they are a "must have" at this price.
-- One thing I considered was Race-Tex roof. Seems like a nice option for a built at this price, but adds another $2K and given I have the sunroof, maybe not enough bang for buck.
Attached Images      

Last edited by wintershade; 03-21-2021 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Add pictures
The following 2 users liked this post by wintershade:
detansinn (03-21-2021), Patriot (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021 | 05:04 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks to those who gave me input. After countless hours of obsessing -- here is the build I just sent to my SA. I only managed the cost down to $164K, but I'm pretty happy with how things look.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PM53D3L0

One of the members here suggested I give the "high gloss black" Sport Design Kit a try, and it's awesome. Saw it on a Turbo, and it solves my biggest gripe about the car, all the matte plastic. So I went a little nuts with Gloss Black accents, but I think it gives the car a sporty, distinctive look.

I'm sticking with the Sport Tex against my SA's advice who says it will hurt trade in (a bit of a gamble as I haven't seen it in person, but the photos shared here look great), but again, I just want something with a bit more character than Silver on Black. I dropped the Chalk contrast stitching, because I'm worried about too many shades of silver/gray/white. Once I did that, I don't see as much value in all the extended leather I had in the cabin, so dropped the leather seat backs, extended leather dash, door panels, cup holder, etc.

I decided to option the Burmester back in. I know... it's a loud 911 and probably a waste of money. But the Bose is just so underwhelming. As a music lover, I think I'll appreciate the Burm more than the extra leather.

-- Will the Silver Porsche Logo clash with the Black Carrera 4S logo? I figure the slats and Exclusive exhaust have some silver so it should work? I don't really love how the black Porsche logo disappears into the tail light (as I'm not going for a "murdered out" look.
-- Will I regret not springing for the extended leather? I'm worried about interior looking "cheap" with the Sport Tex and not enough leather. The extra leather is nice for sure, but seems like I'd notice it less without the contrast stitching. And were do you draw the line!? If I do the dash and door panels for $3400, it's like.. why not do the steering tunnel for $500 and the cup holder for $340, and the upper mirror for $540.... on and on....
-- Am I nuts to take a gamble on the Sport-Tex. On such a highly optioned car, I know I'd get creamed on a trade in if I don't like them. I could save $960 by speccing leather and the Premium Package. Black leather would be safer for sure, just seems kind of boring. And I don't like the other two-tone leather packages unfortunately.
You’re not going to get “creamed” for ordering SportTex. There is a strong market of interested folks that actually want it. Much of this “resale” thinking is a lot of fuss over nothing. As long as it doesn’t have the McDonald’s color palette and you didn’t skip the Sport Chrono, you’ll have no trouble at resale time. Enjoy!
Old 03-21-2021 | 05:25 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

-- I went with 4 way SS+ rather than 18 way. I'd love the back-up mirror dip, but sort of prefer the ease/speed of moving seat fore-aft for rear access. But I do worry they are a "must have" at this price.
-- One thing I considered was Race-Tex roof. Seems like a nice option for a built at this price, but adds another $2K and given I have the sunroof, maybe not enough bang for buck.
Silver Porsche Logo and black C4S logo looks good to me. A nice contrast.

Extended leather is very much a personal preference, some people value it highly in a car at this price point, some people see it as superfluous. I think you are fine without it on your build, personally.

Sport-Tex looks fantastic. I'd have spec'd it for my car if seat ventilation was available. You are not nuts for including it, just look around for threads on the option here...other owners love it. Whatever you select, don't let your sales agent scare you in or out of your material choice because he thinks it will affect trade-in/resale. I think that is total BS. Get what YOU want, and don't look back.

I can't recall any complaints about the 4-way SS+ from owners that have them here. Light, fast fore/aft adjustment, and simple. What's not to love? Nice as they are, the 18-ways are not a "must have."

Race-Tex roof would not be worth it to me. I just don't pay much attention to that material in any car.

Grrrreat build overall! You will have a really beautiful car!
Old 03-21-2021 | 05:33 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

- The rear logos are fine, you have a reverse of background and logo color.

- It’s easy to get carried away with leather trim. My 992 has just the single extended leather upgrade. It’s plenty and stands up to luxury cars in general.

- I had the chalk stitching specced at first but deleted it when I was shown the regular stitching still provides contrast color-wise under most lighting conditions and I was concerned if I went chalk stitching there’d be too much going on with what else I had. I also have all black leather but with carbon trim and white dials and while I admit I just really like black interiors, it’s only boring here where we see so many builds. In the real world I don’t find it boring. With Silver it’s a classic look and the 992 looks awesome done up in classic fashion.

- Burmeister - If you’re going to prioritize audio sound over engine, which once you’re driving you may not, you’ll need sound treatments and different speaker mounts etc. Have you seen where some of those speakers are firing? As an example, door speakers to either side of the seats fire directly into the sides of door bins several inches away. Speaker/component quality won’t change that. I’d take the money and selectively modify, insulate, etc. and by going after-market with those funds you might find you’ll prefer engine sound over music. This comes from someone who plays and when playing with others arrives early to try and optimize sound.

- Race Tex roof. I got it but I don’t know if I’d get it again with the black interior as it’s kind of hard to notice. Maybe that will change with some summer lighting. What I do appreciate about it is it doesn’t draw pet hair like the stock material which attracts it so strongly it could be migrating in from surrounding galaxies.

- Sport Tex seats - You’re fine with it I wouldn’t worry.

Whether you tweak what you have or not, it’s a beautiful build.
Old 03-21-2021 | 06:12 PM
diononiz
Instructor

I am going to play devil's advocate here and suggest something different. Honestly If I were going to spend up to 200k and was seriously considering spending 170k on a 4S Coupe, I would go for a regular turbo (not S) and go mellow on the options. For the extra bit of money you will get a huge upgrade in performance, full leather, 14 way seats, RWS, sport chrono and silver paint standard. Plus you get a more exclusive 911.

Here is the build I came up with: http://www.porsche-code.com/PMN5IJW6.

It's about 179k.

Last edited by diononiz; 03-21-2021 at 06:19 PM.
phila12180 (03-22-2021)

Quick Reply: C4S Build: Help Trimming the Fat!