How's your battery health?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021 | 02:17 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Hi Chad, and thanks for the info. If memory serves me, the LiPO AntiGRAVITY battery does not work with the 992. Is that correct? Porsche has some proprietary system that won’t work with your batteries?
Hi Cody,
Thanks for question, let me clarify for you and we will post on another thread in a few days about this because we don't want to hijack this thread.

So to explain.

The 992 has two options for Batteries, the AGM which is a LEAD/ACID Battery type and then the Lithium Battery option that comes with the 992 Porsche's with the Rear Assist Steering (RAS), as well as some other models in Canada. The difference between the Lithium Battery and Lead Acid batteries is that on the new Porsche Lithium Battery there is a PLUG that plugs directly into the Lithium Battery itself, and sends Battery data such as voltage, state of charge, and current in and out via a Linn-Buss connection.... where as 992s using the Lead/Acid Versions do not have a plug that goes directly into the Lead/Acid Battery, but rather they have a plug that goes into what is called an "Intelligent Battery Sensor" (IBS) on the Cars Battery Cable that connects to the Battery's Terminal, this IBS type of connection does the same thing as the Lithium version though not quite as sophisticated.

So for the Models of 992 that use the LEAD/ACID Battery our Antigravity Lithium Battery is a drop-in fit replacement for the Lead/Acid Battery and offers Built-in Wireless Jump Starting as well as a weight reduction of about 30 lbs. So yes you can use our battery and with our battery you can't be locked out of the frunk ever or not start the car because our battery has the RE-START wireless jump start feature. So that is a pretty cool.

But for the 992s with the new Porsche Lithium Battery we do not have a Linn-Buss port to plug the Porsche connector into our Antigravity Battery, and we "assume" that this plug for the Porsche Lithium Battery will need to be plugged in for the Car to operate correctly and not throw a flags. We know the Porsche Lithium Battery has a proprietary protocol for it system. On the other hand we are working on finding some 992s to test a theory we have that the 992s that come standard with a Porsche Lithium Battery can operate just fine with a the Lead/Acid battery in them, which would mean they could also use our Antigravity Lithium Battery. Our theory is that Porsche could not have been so short-sighted that they would not have included a way for the 992 to work if you did not have a Lithium replacement Battery on hand. For example say your 992 Lithium Battery goes dead in the middle of nowhere where there are no Porsche dealerships, and no where to ship a new Lithium Battery to.... There would have to be something you can do with your Porsche to at least get it running again with a regular lead/Acid battery which is available everywhere) so you can get it back to a Porsche Dealership. So Porsche must have built in a way to use a regular battery in this emergency circumstance, so we assume it might be as simple as programming into the Car via PIWIS that you are putting in a regular Lead/Acid Battery. We are not sure at this point in time if it can be programmed to accept a Lead Acid Battery because we do not have a 992 to test this. But the fact is most all modern Euro Cars do have programmable options for Lithium or Lead Batteries in their Cars so perhaps this is also true for the 992s with Lithium Batteries. So we are looking to get something to test over the next few months and see how that goes. BMW has a similar set up in the M3's and M4's with those models using lithium in regards to the Linn-Buss which we have actually found a work around for so that might also be something there's a possibility for in the future as well.

Last edited by Antigravity; 05-26-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-26-2021 | 02:42 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

If you are near the metro DC-Baltimore area, I would let you test my car. I don’t know what % of 992’s have the rear axle steering option, but it seems like quite a few people on Rennlist have it...and as such, have the Porsche LiPO battery. I would love to have a remote start capability, and/ or a easy/simple way to get into the frunk should my battery go dead.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 05-26-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-26-2021 | 03:00 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you are near the metro DC-Baltimore area, I would let you test my car. I don’t know what % of 992’s have the rear axle steering option, but it seems like quite a few people on Rennlist have it...and as such, have the Porsche LiPO battery. I would love to have a remote start capability, and/ or a easy/simple way to get into the frunk should my battery go dead.
We also make an option for easily opening the frunk or jump starting the 992 if the Lead, or LITHIUM Battery go dead. It's basically a Harness Kit we made for use with our Antigravity Batteries MICRO-START Jump Starter, or other mini Jump Starters. You simply attach it to your battery terminals, then route the harness tip just under the hood where it meets the windshield, then if you ever come back to a dead battery you simply connect the Micro-Start to that Harness tip and it energizes the cars system completely and you can open the frunk or jump start the Car. It works better and is much easier than getting into the fuse box and trying to get the frunk to open that way plus the connection is direct to battery so the whole car is energized fully, and in fact it will also wake up the Porsche Lithium Battery if it is in sleep mode.

Link is here to Micro-STart XP10 and Harness below.
MICRO-START XP10 https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...-starts/xp-10/
HARNESS KIT FOR CLAMPLESS JUMP STARTING AND ENERGIZING OF CAR https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...-harness-xp10/
We have other Harnesses for other brands of Mini Jump Starters they just need the EC5 connector.

Last edited by Antigravity; 05-26-2021 at 03:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tumbleweed (07-15-2021)
Old 05-26-2021 | 03:12 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

I like the harness kit idea. It does not interfere with closing the hood and can be tucked down/away so not visible when the hood/frunk is closed?

Also, to be clear, the XP10 works with the Porsche 992 LiPO battery? No issues with the Porsche data bus?
Old 05-26-2021 | 03:35 PM
rdv
Rennlist Member

I too like the harness idea. Agree it never made much sense to me why Porsche designed it so you had to pull open the fuse panel, and pull out a little plastic plug in order to connect a 12v power supply to open the frunk. This is a more useful and easier solution, however, leaving the end of the harness just tucked loose under the cowl is not terribly elegant. Ideally Porsche itself would have run a harness to a small, discreetly mounted receptacle just below the cowl. That way Porsche could sell its customers lots of L-Ion jump batts and make even more money.

So here's my dumb question.... If your battery is dead and you cannot open the car, and you keep the little jump pack in your glove box, how do you get into the car to get to the jump pack? Or does my 992 key fob have a small metal key inside it like my MBZ? I haven't even bothered to look yet, only had the car a month or so.

Cheers, Ross
Old 05-26-2021 | 03:38 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I like the harness kit idea. It does not interfere with closing the hood and can be tucked down/away so not visible when the hood/frunk is closed?

Also, to be clear, the XP10 works with the Porsche 992 LiPO battery? No issues with the Porsche data bus?
The harness kit does not interfere with closing/opening of the hood but you have to make sure you route it nicely and it tucks away cleanly. Also after routing make sure when you close the hood the harness is not caught between where the hood closes at the corner and where the front right fender is stationary that is the only point that can really bind if not routed correctly otherwise you have plenty of room to put it somewhere near the windshied and tuck it away. But if routed correctly it will not interfere with anything because it is not next to the moving parts.

On the 2016 991 GT3RS as shown in the pic, there was room under the plastic cowl to route the harness out cleanly under the cowel that covers the battery and that area, but I'm not sure if that cowl fits tighter on the 992 than the 991s. Additionally you do not want to route to drivers side since the windshield wiper arms move around on that side.

As far as connecting to the Lithium Battery. Our Antigravity Battery you can connect a jump starter though you won't need to...but our BMS is designed to handle that. But we don't know on the new PORSCHE Lithium Battery, so in that circumstance I would say wire the harness to Positive Terminal and then to the negative JUMP POST with a hose clamp. Normally I wouldn't say that because the fact is our Jump START has a lower voltage than the Cars Battery and with the Harness its a hard-wire connection so there is not going to be an sparks or oddities like with using Jumper Clamps...but I know Porsche will blame anything on the aftermarket component. So wiring as they say for Jump Starting should make it so they cannot claim anything,
Old 05-26-2021 | 04:13 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Thx. This is definitely something I will get.
Old 05-27-2021 | 06:19 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rdv
I too like the harness idea. Agree it never made much sense to me why Porsche designed it so you had to pull open the fuse panel, and pull out a little plastic plug in order to connect a 12v power supply to open the frunk. This is a more useful and easier solution, however, leaving the end of the harness just tucked loose under the cowl is not terribly elegant. Ideally Porsche itself would have run a harness to a small, discreetly mounted receptacle just below the cowl. That way Porsche could sell its customers lots of L-Ion jump batts and make even more money.

So here's my dumb question.... If your battery is dead and you cannot open the car, and you keep the little jump pack in your glove box, how do you get into the car to get to the jump pack? Or does my 992 key fob have a small metal key inside it like my MBZ? I haven't even bothered to look yet, only had the car a month or so.

Cheers, Ross
There is a manual key on your keyfob... at least there was on my 991.. but I assume there is one for the 992 so you should be able to always get into the cabin of the car...
Old 02-21-2022 | 04:50 PM
BrianD185
Intermediate

Default 992 battery voltage issues

Originally Posted by digits
Now that my PSA (above) is out of the way...

A car that won't start 2 days after being on a trickle charger is just NOT right - sounds like a bad battery OR a bad trickle charger OR something wrong in the car itself (I hope not). I can't speak to the 992 w/AGM, but my two previous 991s with AGM would quickly drop to 12.3V after just a day without being charged - but the car would always start and I would sometimes let the car sit for a couple weeks without using the trickle charger at all. Maybe the 992 is more "vampiric" than the 991? I doubt it - my LiFePo4 equipped 992 doesn't even need a trickle charger - I've let it sit for 3 weeks without a problem so the 992 can't be drawing THAT much power.

It's interesting that on p55 of the owners manual (above) Porsche says you can go 6 weeks on a Lithium before you need to charge, but they don't provide any timeframe at all for AGM.

Two days and the car won't start is still just wrong, no matter what. Ask your dealer if you should reasonably expect to be able to park your car at the airport over a weekend.
Slightly different issue along this theme. Car has been parked at times for a week - most recently 2 weeks. The doors will open and it starts fine but I get a bunch of system failure messages that the dealer claims are caused by the voltage drop. Worst of them is a “chassis system error” which allows driving BUT renders everything on the steering column inoperable - from the buttons, shift paddles and sport mode selector to the wipers, turn signals and even the horn! After about a half hour or so of driving this message will clear and then you get a scrolling list of about 6 other things - from lane change assist not available, something with the headlights, start/stop failure, a steering effort warning, and on and on. Good news, after the chassis system fault clears, wipers, turn signals, horn and Sport Modes are back! Point is, a modern car should be able to sit at the airport or in a garage for a couple weeks with no issues. Had it to the dealer just today and they assured me this was fairly common with the 992 AND my battery was 100% healthy!! They made sure it had a full charge which is great because it’s about to get parked for another 5 days!!!
Old 02-22-2022 | 12:57 AM
rouxeny
Pro

Originally Posted by BrianD185
Slightly different issue along this theme. Car has been parked at times for a week - most recently 2 weeks. The doors will open and it starts fine but I get a bunch of system failure messages that the dealer claims are caused by the voltage drop. Worst of them is a “chassis system error” which allows driving BUT renders everything on the steering column inoperable - from the buttons, shift paddles and sport mode selector to the wipers, turn signals and even the horn! After about a half hour or so of driving this message will clear and then you get a scrolling list of about 6 other things - from lane change assist not available, something with the headlights, start/stop failure, a steering effort warning, and on and on. Good news, after the chassis system fault clears, wipers, turn signals, horn and Sport Modes are back! Point is, a modern car should be able to sit at the airport or in a garage for a couple weeks with no issues. Had it to the dealer just today and they assured me this was fairly common with the 992 AND my battery was 100% healthy!! They made sure it had a full charge which is great because it’s about to get parked for another 5 days!!!
thats a little crazy if it can’t sit 5 days!
Old 02-22-2022 | 07:00 AM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BrianD185
My 992tts had somewhat similar issues with its lithium battery - turned out to be poor ground contact.
Old 02-22-2022 | 12:26 PM
BrianD185
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
My 992tts had somewhat similar issues with its lithium battery - turned out to be poor ground contact.
I have the AGM battery but the ground is still something I will look into if this persists. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2022 | 12:27 PM
BrianD185
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rouxeny
thats a little crazy if it can’t sit 5 days!
Beyond ridiculous! Well now that it’s fully charged I will see if this next 5 days of sitting is different!

Quick Reply: How's your battery health?