Sponsored by:

2020 c2s - creaking noise from closed sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 02:56 AM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 2020 c2s - creaking noise from closed sunroof

as the subject says, i have a creaking noise from a closed sunroof when driving on bumpy roads at low speeds. easily eliminated if i drive with the suntoof tilted open. of course my service department says "not reproducible"

anybody else have this issue?
Old 02-22-2021, 06:32 AM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 106 Posts

I have all sorts of creaking noises from sunroof, passenger seat, driver seat and speakers.

I suggest take a passenger for a drive with you and ask them to record a video of the creaking.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:34 AM
yargable
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I have this problem as well and its especially noticeable during or soon after the car is wet. Its been raining a bunch here in Oakland and thus its been driving me a bit crazy. I'm guessing some pieces of rubber are rubbing together. @Arun Rao I noticed you are a fellow Bay Area local and thus guessing thats why you are noticing it too? If anyone finds a solution, let us know. This and the rattling door panels are annoying me but not quite enough to make me want to visit a dealer.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:25 AM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by yargable
Yes, I have this problem as well and its especially noticeable during or soon after the car is wet. Its been raining a bunch here in Oakland and thus its been driving me a bit crazy. I'm guessing some pieces of rubber are rubbing together. @Arun Rao I noticed you are a fellow Bay Area local and thus guessing thats why you are noticing it too? If anyone finds a solution, let us know. This and the rattling door panels are annoying me but not quite enough to make me want to visit a dealer.
@yargable good to meet you virtually. yes, possibly related to the damp (relatively speaking) weather we've been having here.

re: door rattles - had this too and the service department couldn't reproduce it of course. i took the car to the car stereo company in mountain view and they fixed all the door rattles by installing sound dampening in both doors. they couldn't do anything about the creaking (not that i would expect them to be able to); so i am taking the car to response motors also in mountain view to have the issue looked at tomorrow. yes, will pay out of pocket - but beats having to drive around with creaks and rattles.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:19 AM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 509 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Arun Rao
as the subject says, i have a creaking noise from a closed sunroof when driving on bumpy roads at low speeds. easily eliminated if i drive with the suntoof tilted open. of course my service department says "not reproducible"

anybody else have this issue?
It’s a common issue on these cars and some audis as well with the sunroof. Mine had exact same issue and also had a bad passenger door rattle. Took it to dealer, I made sure to test drive with them so they could fully hear everything which they did, and they changed / lubricated some seals and the issues have gone away.

Last edited by reddsektor; 02-23-2021 at 03:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Arun Rao (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 09:12 AM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by reddsektor
It’s a common issue on these cars and some audis as well with the sunroof. Mine had exact same issue and also had a bad passenger door rattle. Took it to dealer, I made sure to test drive with them so they could fully hear everything which they did, and they changed / lubricated some seals and the issues have gone away.
went to response motors in mountain view yesterday and they were able to resolve this by lubricating the sunroof seals!
The following users liked this post:
mikey94025 (02-24-2021)

Quick Reply: 2020 c2s - creaking noise from closed sunroof