Sponsored by:

992 PDK v Manual - Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 04:39 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
Not to mention the shifter looks like it could actually give you a trim...
Hilarious, good one.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:58 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 749 Likes on 546 Posts

just depends how you treat them
Old 02-09-2021, 09:53 PM
pianoman9390
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
The key word here is tuning.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but the manual transmission that of the previous generation, is rated at 406 ft/lbs. torque.
Tuners are getting around an additional 100 foot-pounds torque over stock give or take.
The increased weight of the 8 speed PDK transmission engineered to accept future hybridization is on the face of it a downside.
However by the same token it is also a benefit in terms of the increased torque specification, essential given the instant and prodigious torque electric motors make.
From my perspective, anyone wanting to tune a 992, should be getting a PDK if they care about the health and welfare of their transmission.
Really appreciate all of the responses here...this response is why I started the thread. I definately agree that driver input will determine the overall wear and longevity of the manual transmission. I don't abuse my cars or dump the clutch frequently, even with Porsche's 3500 limiter (which I'm sure could be tuned out). My main concern is the added rwhp / rwtq from a future tune and the ability of the OEM manual transmission to handle the increase in power. For instance, my 04 Cobra had a horrible OEM clutch slip after pulleys and tuning at a modest 500 rwhp, ultimately needed upgrading to an aftermarket twin disc. I know there may not be many 992 manual members with a tune, but is seems like the PDK could definitely stand the increase.

As for why I wouldn't tune a new 992 right away, I don't want to potentially have a warranty problem denied simply because of a tune. I've done the modded-warrantied car in the past and have had push back for completely unrelated issues.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:10 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by pianoman9390
Really appreciate all of the responses here...this response is why I started the thread. I definately agree that driver input will determine the overall wear and longevity of the manual transmission. I don't abuse my cars or dump the clutch frequently, even with Porsche's 3500 limiter (which I'm sure could be tuned out). My main concern is the added rwhp / rwtq from a future tune and the ability of the OEM manual transmission to handle the increase in power. For instance, my 04 Cobra had a horrible OEM clutch slip after pulleys and tuning at a modest 500 rwhp, ultimately needed upgrading to an aftermarket twin disc. I know there may not be many 992 manual members with a tune, but is seems like the PDK could definitely stand the increase.

As for why I wouldn't tune a new 992 right away, I don't want to potentially have a warranty problem denied simply because of a tune. I've done the modded-warrantied car in the past and have had push back for completely unrelated issues.
You probably would have gotten even more responses at 9:00 on a Saturday, after the regular crowd shuffles in, but before they make love to their tonic and gin.
The following 3 users liked this post by Russian Mafia:
aggie57 (02-09-2021), atl1glf (02-10-2021), paddlefoot64 (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 10:12 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I think the manual transmission will have no problem lasting the life of the car short of severe abuse, or if a person doesn't know how to drive manual and grinds the gears constantly or rides the clutch until it burns out. Furthermore, Porsche has limited your ability to rev the manual in neutral only up to 3500 RPM. While this takes away the fun of launching the car hard off the line, it will also save a ton of wear and tear on the transmission and the clutch.

I have a question for you though - why would you wait to tune your car until after warranty expires? Regardless of whether you mod now or after warranty expires, if the engine blows up, or you break the transmission or an axle, you would still fix the car, right? You wouldn't just throw the car away and/or not fix it. So why wait until 4 yrs/50K miles when your car has substantially more wear/tear and is much more likely to have something go wrong when you add a good 70-100 plus hp to it outside of warranty?
Because many get an aftermarket warranty, and if you take to a friendly mechanic the aftermarket company won't know about any mods that aren't visible.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:40 PM
pianoman9390
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
You probably would have gotten even more responses at 9:00 on a Saturday, after the regular crowd shuffles in, but before they make love to their tonic and gin.
::true story::

The following users liked this post:
Russian Mafia (02-10-2021)

Quick Reply: 992 PDK v Manual - Longevity