Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer tires in my garage

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021 | 05:56 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ I drove them once in January, I'm sure I'll drive it briefly in February.

I'm not pumping up my tires to 50 psi. Sorry....
you came on... asked for advice... didn't comment on people mentioning jacking your car and leaving it off ground but you refuse to add some pressure (which is good advice to avoid flat spots)?
just drop some pressure if you want to drive it... maybe don't go all the way to 50... but if its truly sitting for the winter adding some pressure is a good thing.
Old 02-03-2021 | 05:59 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slc4s
you came on... asked for advice... didn't comment on people mentioning jacking your car and leaving it off ground but you refuse to add some pressure (which is good advice to avoid flat spots)?
just drop some pressure if you want to drive it... maybe don't go all the way to 50... but if its truly sitting for the winter adding some pressure is a good thing.
^ That's because I've gotten both sides of that advice. I've been advised to keep my car on a lift, and I've been advised that doing that is bad for your car.

I've been advised to do 50 psi for "flat spotting", and I've been told by mechanics who've worked for Firestone for many years that that is bad advice.

I always appreciate advice, but in my experience in life has been that when you see a lot of conflicting advice, it's best to just use common sense. And to me, I'd rather not risk damaging my tires at 50 psi when I can take my car out once a month or so for a quick 20 minute drive like I just did 2 hours ago.

Last edited by Tupper; 02-03-2021 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2021 | 06:20 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Actually, if you are going to run your car once or twice a month in the winter, it is a good idea to ride it for more than twenty minutes. In twenty minutes, the oil may not even get up to temperature. On days when the afternoon temperature reaches 40 degrees or so, I try to exercise the car at least sixty minutes, changing gears frequently, and I try to find some good roads where I can flex the suspension.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021 | 06:53 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
Actually, if you are going to run your car once or twice a month in the winter, it is a good idea to ride it for more than twenty minutes. In twenty minutes, the oil may not even get up to temperature. On days when the afternoon temperature reaches 40 degrees or so, I try to exercise the car at least sixty minutes, changing gears frequently, and I try to find some good roads where I can flex the suspension.
^ I think I did a 25-30 min drive, tops. Oil got to about 180 in under 10 mins. Anyhow, I think my original question got answered, as warming up the engine was not the primary reason for the drive.

The primary reason was an excuse to drive my Porsche ( ). And, of course, to prevent "flat spotting" of the tires
Old 02-03-2021 | 07:12 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Leave it alone. Can’t imagine it getting that cold in the garage and it’s not like you’re driving anywhere. Over inflate the tires for storage and you’ll be fine. I’m in New England and am no stranger to storing cars through the colder winter months.

Quick Reply: Summer tires in my garage