Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should you buy rim insurance or not when buying new?
Buy rim insurance
32.99%
Don't buy rim insurance
67.01%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Rim insurance or not when buying new?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 12:25 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 440 Posts

I skipped it. They quoted me $1300 for 2 years and $1800 for 4 years. Bent rim and curb rash repair along with replacement tires if I get a flat.

For tires I will want to swap over to Michelin’s anyways. Took the risk for the bent wheel/curb rash but that’s easier to fix at a rim shop.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:36 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 382 Posts

Agree, personal choice and depends of where you live.

On, my 991.2 I did purchase a tire/wheel protection package and windshield. I haggled. There is lots of room for price reduction on these plans. Windshield was 664 for 3 years, wheel and tire was 800.

since purchase I have used windshield and had two tires replaced. Right now I’m ahead about $700.

I live in Houston with lots of junk on the roads and new construction going on in my neighborhood so those were my reasons..........
Old 02-03-2021, 02:31 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

As a rule I don't buy insurance on things you can afford to repair/replace, insurance is great at saving you from outsized costs that you can't really handle or handle easily financially, helps you mitigate risk, but buying insurance on tv's/wheels/extended-warranties/appliances whatever just generally helps someone else make money, and you're left hoping you're in the minority of their customers that they regret underwriting.

Btw, I've bought insurance like this in the past, I've come to this conclusion w/ some trial and error, and from being in the finance industry, and getting to know players that really enjoy selling these products.

If you're convinced it makes sense for you, offer them 30% less than asking price for the coverage, you'll be surprised how often they say yes, which tells you how profitable it is to underwrite.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hp12c:
ldamelio (02-04-2021), Russian Mafia (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 07:20 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Well, since I ran over a bicycle a year and a half ago which took out a rear wheel and a Michelin Cup 2 tire, and don’t want to go through that again, yes, it’s worth it, especially with half worn tires where you can’t just replace one bad tire with uneven tread depths. I’d have rather just run over the cyclist. Also depends on where you live. Roads here in the northeast are literally falling apart. Stay away from runflats. Tire sidewalls are so stiff that a bad pothole will destroy the tire and wheel. F you BMW and your chinesium wheels....
Old 02-03-2021, 07:47 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

Unless the potential loss is a threat to my financial stability or the circumstances enable me to game actuarial formulas, I self-insure.
The following 3 users liked this post by Russian Mafia:
ldamelio (02-04-2021), motown (02-04-2021), OttawaSteve (02-06-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:38 PM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Unlike other insurance, they do not do risk-based pricing. If you live in a high-risk area, it's cheaper than self-insuring. I take the longest term (cheapest) and cancel for pro-rated return when ownership has end.

I owned my 991.1 for 18 months and purchased 5 year coverage for $2K. I replaced 2 flats, 1 wheel repair (road debris) and PDR (also included, same road debris). Cancelled after 18 months and got $1400 back. And had a loaner for 5 days as the wheel needed a lot of work.

I think it's a no-brainer if (and only if) you live in a high-risk area.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:24 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Here's a new product that is kind of interesting to me - prevents curb rash but also can add some pizzaz if you like that. Not very expensive and easy to install.

https://alloygator.com/us/
Old 02-05-2021, 08:10 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry991
Here's a new product that is kind of interesting to me - prevents curb rash but also can add some pizzaz if you like that. Not very expensive and easy to install.

https://alloygator.com/us/
Interesting. I don’t want a contrasting color but wonder if graphite would blend in with classic wheels due to the 2 tone look. It would have to be almost invisible for me to use them.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:21 AM
photonscience
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 46 Posts

So 2/3's of Rennlisters have declined, so far.

When I declined the tire/wheel protection, the finance manager was very surprised and told me that more than 90% of 911 purchasers take the protection.

Either Rennlisters are an anomalous group or he was b.s.ing me.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:37 AM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by photonscience
So 2/3's of Rennlisters have declined, so far.

When I declined the tire/wheel protection, the finance manager was very surprised and told me that more than 90% of 911 purchasers take the protection.

Either Rennlisters are an anomalous group or he was b.s.ing me.
I purchased my Porsche with the excellent assistance of a Car Buying Advocate. For a small fee, he handles the whole deal. In fact he went with me to the dealership.
I found the Finance manager's at Porsche and BMW where I bought cars, to be quite entertaining. When you know its an act, you are tempted to get up and offer a standing ovation !
Old 02-05-2021, 10:07 AM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm probably the anomaly with the frequency of tire replacements. I'm in the DFW metroplex and I first had wheel and tire insurance on my Audi TTS it was thrown in. I replaced 5 tires in the first 8 months due to construction debris on the way to my office. Since then I have purchased it and it has paid for itself on both my RS3 and Q8. I have only had a wheel repaired once. All tires for me.

I did purchase it on the 992, similar to above I pay for longer term and cancel on the sale for a prorated refund.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:55 PM
GJS NYC
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought and have claimed rim insurance 2x, on a May ‘20 delivery on my 911 C4S Cab.

First, there is no consolidated insurer for Porsche. Feels like there are multiple end-insurance companies, depending on who your dealership deals with. All third party biz.

Second, they back-bid everything. I live in NYC. If i take my car to Porsche Manhattan, that is the market rate to address my bubble on my Michelin. When they have ‘limits’ on what they reimburse for, the delta is effectively a deductible.

I got a new tire, because of a bubble. $90 out of pocket vs. what was charged I think mounting and balancing approved costs are $22.....not in NYC?! What? Not cost of living adjusted.

Curb rash repair - $90. The quote is $150. That’s their limit.

So two things... the process to actually submit a claim is deliberately frustrating. No approvals without repair orders, docs, photos, without notifying first, etc. Else, straight denial. The login into the website to submit a claim, is like 5 steps. You may just get frustrated logging in.

There is a window where you can claim. Why? I paid out of pocket to refurbish my wheel.. why is there a 30 day window to submit photos, documentation, work order? What if i get to it on day 31? Why is that grounds for denial?

The folks on the phone, are there to end the call. Period, end stop. The winners that i got paired with, NDSMC, are there to profit.

As a mortgage trader, this is the stuff that CFPB would prosecute fully if they were dealing in mortgage servicing. This is a borderline scam. Never, ever, would i get it again. I thought Northeast was a no-brainer, i would push hard on pothole ridden streets with a put option. There is no such option and if you exercise successfully, you are paid .75x the damage.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:03 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by GJS NYC
I bought and have claimed rim insurance 2x, on a May ‘20 delivery on my 911 C4S Cab.

First, there is no consolidated insurer for Porsche. Feels like there are multiple end-insurance companies, depending on who your dealership deals with. All third party biz.

Second, they back-bid everything. I live in NYC. If i take my car to Porsche Manhattan, that is the market rate to address my bubble on my Michelin. When they have ‘limits’ on what they reimburse for, the delta is effectively a deductible.

I got a new tire, because of a bubble. $90 out of pocket vs. what was charged I think mounting and balancing approved costs are $22.....not in NYC?! What? Not cost of living adjusted.

Curb rash repair - $90. The quote is $150. That’s their limit.

So two things... the process to actually submit a claim is deliberately frustrating. No approvals without repair orders, docs, photos, without notifying first, etc. Else, straight denial. The login into the website to submit a claim, is like 5 steps. You may just get frustrated logging in.

There is a window where you can claim. Why? I paid out of pocket to refurbish my wheel.. why is there a 30 day window to submit photos, documentation, work order? What if i get to it on day 31? Why is that grounds for denial?

The folks on the phone, are there to end the call. Period, end stop. The winners that i got paired with, NDSMC, are there to profit.

As a mortgage trader, this is the stuff that CFPB would prosecute fully if they were dealing in mortgage servicing. This is a borderline scam. Never, ever, would i get it again. I thought Northeast was a no-brainer, i would push hard on pothole ridden streets with a put option. There is no such option and if you exercise successfully, you are paid .75x the damage.
This is outrageous !
Should anyone consider getting the Tire and Rim Insurance through your dealership, confront them with this information !

Is it a legal matter that it appears you have no cost to you when your tire or wheel is damaged ?
Old 02-06-2021, 10:18 AM
mschwa3439
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i am on my ninth Porsche, and this is the first time I opted for the wheel and tire insurance. My new 992 4SCAB has 21 rears and 20 fronts with Porsche Exlusive wheels. I was worried because my last C4Cab only had 19 inch wheels. I was able to negotiate an insurance package that covers, wheels, rims, tires, windshield, key fob loss, and paintless dent removal for $2700 for 42 months of coverage. No deductable or co-pay. I agree it wasnt cheap as I had hoped, but already replace one tire and windshield chip repair. It was a coin toss decision.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:13 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,093 Likes on 2,115 Posts

When I bought my GT3, I opted not to get the wheel insurance. Even on Cleveland, Ohio roads, I typically drive smoother backroads and on top of that, I typically am able to avoid bigger road imperfections. Add to that my car gets driven 1-2k miles a year, the risk is a bit lower.

If I had something like carbon fiber wheels, then maybe I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'd rather risk that I may spend $100-200 for curb rash repair, or $1500 for an entirely new wheel, new, rather than $2k up front on something I'll probably never get the full value out of. I'd also rather choose where I get the wheel repaired, not sure if they have limits on how much they'll cover for a repair.

Quick Reply: Rim insurance or not when buying new?