Sponsored by:

Sport-Tex & Indigo Denim

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 05:51 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Sport-Tex & Indigo Denim

I often wear dark jeans that can occasionally transfer dye to light-colored materials, and because of this I had defaulted to the black leather interior to play it safe. However, I’m continuously drawn to the Sport-Tex seat centers. Has anyone hear worn dark jeans on the Sport-Tex seats and seen any infigo transfer to the lighter cross-hatch color in the pattern?
Old 01-31-2021, 10:58 AM
SamD
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 141 Posts

Had the ST seats since May 20 and no issues. Usually wearing Levis. Can't speak to indigo denim . . .
Old 01-31-2021, 11:03 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by SamD
Had the ST seats since May 20 and no issues. Usually wearing Levis. Can't speak to indigo denim . . .
Same here, except in summer. Mine look new, but I only have 3500 miles on my car.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:23 AM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 382 Posts

By better jeans of higher quality. Wash them prior to first use. Should not discolor.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:24 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

I have sport Tex and indigo denim pants. No transfer so far.
The following users liked this post:
lucycan (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 03:13 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
I have sport Tex and indigo denim pants. No transfer so far.
Awesome, that is encouraging! Thank you for sharing!
Old 01-31-2021, 03:25 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by Norge911
By better jeans of higher quality. Wash them prior to first use. Should not discolor.
You deign to suggest that the denim I have purchased is not up to the highest sartorial standards? Surely you jest!

All joking aside: I agree, buy good denim! The denim I'm wearing is good stuff (I promise!) and it has been washed. Regardless, I find that there are certain materials/surfaces that seem to take on indigo transfer more than others, no matter what (the ABS on my truck door where my knee occasionally rubs comes to mind). It's fine...just the reality of wearing raw denim sometimes. Just wanted to tap the RL hive mind and see if anyone who wears similar type clothing could comment on their experience thus far with the Sport-Tex. Maybe a silly inquiry to some folks, I don't know...
Old 01-31-2021, 03:32 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,380 Likes on 1,481 Posts

No transfer issues with mine... buy Hugo Boss jeans
Marantz2270 (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 03:42 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,153 Likes on 1,467 Posts

I own a home furnishing store and do lots of leather and upholstery furniture, the denim transfer issue is something I deal with constantly. Some of the basics - jeans are dyed, and this is dye transfer onto the seats. Once on, it does not come off because - it is dyed. Obviously lighter colored materials will show this more so than dark ones. And in my experience, this transfer occurs when the jeans are moist and hot. So moist either can mean sweaty or just plain wet from washing the car, etc. The hotter your body is, and the car is, the more likely to transfer. And its transferring to the black - you just don't see it. So yes, better quality jeans or simply avoid the issue and wear Khakis, which don't have the dye transfer issue.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:51 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by drcollie
I own a home furnishing store and do lots of leather and upholstery furniture, the denim transfer issue is something I deal with constantly. Some of the basics - jeans are dyed, and this is dye transfer onto the seats. Once on, it does not come off because - it is dyed. Obviously lighter colored materials will show this more so than dark ones. And in my experience, this transfer occurs when the jeans are moist and hot. So moist either can mean sweaty or just plain wet from washing the car, etc. The hotter your body is, and the car is, the more likely to transfer. And its transferring to the black - you just don't see it. So yes, better quality jeans or simply avoid the issue and wear Khakis, which don't have the dye transfer issue.
I've read your other posts concerning leather upholstery in other thread, and I'm glad you chimed in, thank you! Moisture has definitely been the largest factor for me in any transfer to other materials. And yes, I figure indigo is transferring to black...but out of sight, out of mind! My hope is that the Sport-Tex seat centers will be dark enough.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:07 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I was told that when you buy a new pair of jeans, you should put vinegar in the wash to help set the dye. Is that right?
Old 01-31-2021, 04:14 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,153 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I was told that when you buy a new pair of jeans, you should put vinegar in the wash to help set the dye. Is that right?
Maybe worth a try ?

Add a cup of white vinegar to your cold water rinse. The vinegar will help seal the dye within the fabric so that they won't continue to bleed. At the very minimum, the added vinegar should at least lesson the amount in which the indigo dye bleeds and stains other fabrics.Apr 3, 2015

How to keep your jeans from bleeding – Carreli Jeans

Dan Nagy (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 04:43 PM
Jeff4598
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default GOOD jeans.

Maybe worth a try ?

Add a cup of white vinegar to your cold water rinse. The vinegar will help seal the dye within the fabric so that they won't continue to bleed. At the very minimum, the added vinegar should at least lesson the amount in which the indigo dye bleeds and stains other fabrics.Apr 3, 2015

How to keep your jeans from bleeding – Carreli Jeans

It's kind of funny how enthusiasm can be so specific. People who are into good jeans (most from Japan) look for jeans that lose their dye. this is what makes them look interesting as they break in and create fade patterns.

Quick Reply: Sport-Tex & Indigo Denim