Sponsored by:

Windshield Protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 06:46 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Windshield Protection

I try to keep my exterior immaculate, but after driving a new car for more than 1000 miles, I get the inevitable microchips from sand or road grit that really becomes objectionable when sunlight hits the windshield. I'm not talking about chips or scrapes that can be repaired, but rather the kind of sandblasting that always occurs over time. Has anyone had any experience with ClearPlex or its competitors? I understand that it is similar to PPF, but specially formulated for glass, and the ads promise a high level of protection. They claim that the film is totally invisible. It's not cheap to get it installed professionally, so I won't do it just on a lark-- but if it can keep my windshield looking showroom new for a couple of years, I'd be very tempted.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:42 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
I try to keep my exterior immaculate, but after driving a new car for more than 1000 miles, I get the inevitable microchips from sand or road grit that really becomes objectionable when sunlight hits the windshield. I'm not talking about chips or scrapes that can be repaired, but rather the kind of sandblasting that always occurs over time. Has anyone had any experience with ClearPlex or its competitors? I understand that it is similar to PPF, but specially formulated for glass, and the ads promise a high level of protection. They claim that the film is totally invisible. It's not cheap to get it installed professionally, so I won't do it just on a lark-- but if it can keep my windshield looking showroom new for a couple of years, I'd be very tempted.
I had ClearPlex installed on my GT4 when I bought it in March of 2016. Last month I had it removed and replaced after 12,000 miles. For my use, which is good dry weather weekend drives in the canyon, it has been great. I don't know if I would install it on a everyday driver that see's rain. I think the windshield wipers would eventually leave a mark on the film. Mine lasted longer than I expected, it definitely protected the windshield. The one I took off felt like sand paper. I never worry about the windshield being peppered with grit while following my friends through the twists. That's also part of the reason I covered my whole vehicle with PPF. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:43 PM
540gone
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I had Clearplex installed on my Macan for 3+ years and it worked just fine to protect from "sandblasting" and undoubtedly a couple of cracks that would have otherwise happened. Only problem was that it has a bit of an orange-peel effect if you look closely, and the material itself was a bit "soft". In fact they give you a bottle of special "Clearplex treatement" stuff to put on every so often - best I could tell it was just wax.

When I had my 992 ppf'd and ceramic coated, and I asked about windshield coating, the installer suggested EXO-Shield. In my opinion, it is a much superior product to Clearplex. It is completely optically clear and has a much "harder" top coat which the manufacturery claim is a nano-ceramic layer.

As soon as I realized the difference, I also had the Clearplex on the Macan replaced with EXO-Shield. I now have a 4 year old Macan Turbo PP and the original windshield still looks brand new. Also had EXO-Shield installed on my wife's Panamera.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, but I am a very satisfied customer.

Quick Reply: Windshield Protection