Old 01-29-2021, 07:21 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
My Procedure:
  1. Start Engine
  2. Drive Car
  3. No roughhousing until oil temperature exceeds the coolant temperature.
Same here. I have the coolant and oil temp as the top two rows of the customized display on the dash.

The video posted is consistent with my experience owning Alfa’s with side-draft Weber’s. Those cars we always warmed up for a few minutes, until the idle settled down.

Last edited by aggie57; 01-29-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:00 PM
markjeansonne
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah but the OP was actually on a different topic ... not about normal operating temp,
but about letting the RPMs settle to less than 1000 before putting in gear.
I always do, wait for the RPMs to fall, usually takes 30 seconds (Land Rover seems to take longer).
The following users liked this post:
KG-Virus (01-31-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 10:07 PM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 177 Posts

Yeah, I don't hammer until oil temp is high enough.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:27 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 457 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
I've often read, here and elsewhere, that you should let the engine get up to "operating temperature" before driving hard. I can't find a good reference for what "operating temperature" is. It is certainly not water temperature, but oil temperature-- and yet, on my Porsches, it can take twenty minutes of driving, or more, get the oil to 190 degrees-- and 190 isn't maximum temperature, because driving for another ten or fifteen minutes, it can get up to 205. By that time, my drive is nearly over. I wondering if operating temperature can be defined as 150 degrees, or some number lower than 190. Does anyone have a reference on this?
Generally, operating temperature would be when the oil is above its coldest setting but below it hottest setting. Essentially, once the needle (or digital gauge) moves off its resting place and towards the center then the engine is at operating temperature. Of course the oil temp may continue to rise a little until it settles where the computer wants it to. But once it moves from its lowest point towards the center you are good to go.

Think of it almost like a dip stick with a min and max value. You don’t want the oil level to be below the min or above the max, but anywhere in between is perfect. Similar to the oil temp gauge in that you want the temp to be above its minimum value but of course not overheating.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:08 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 205 Posts

.......RTM (ReadThe Manual) should do it - plus, read the attached article for a little further insight from a Porsche engineer - it all makes sense

BOSSOB (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 10:04 PM
BOSSOB
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
I've often read, here and elsewhere, that you should let the engine get up to "operating temperature" before driving hard. I can't find a good reference for what "operating temperature" is. It is certainly not water temperature, but oil temperature-- and yet, on my Porsches, it can take twenty minutes of driving, or more, get the oil to 190 degrees-- and 190 isn't maximum temperature, because driving for another ten or fifteen minutes, it can get up to 205. By that time, my drive is nearly over. I wondering if operating temperature can be defined as 150 degrees, or some number lower than 190. Does anyone have a reference on this?
Can’t say if it’s by design or coincidence that the digital coolant gauge in my 2021 C2S doesn’t even show coolant temperature until it exceeds 150 degrees. Does this suggest engine is not at operating temperature below 150? To your point have also noticed the transmission fluid (at least in my Yukon XL) warm at a much slower rate as compared to coolant or oil. In my 2011 Cayman S it was not possible to measure the oil level until “the engine warmed up” In cold NJ weather this usual took 5 miles or 10 minutes of driving.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:59 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

My understanding is that the cold start runs at higher RPMs to get the cats heated up and reduce emissions (correct me if I'm wrong) but I don't like keeping the engine even at the cold start RPMs with cold oil. In the colder months, especially, I drive off right away in normal mode with a light foot on the gas pedal and the PDK is very aggressive about upshifting and keeping the RPMs really low. Sadly, it seems to take forever to hit 180+ oil temp before I switch to sport mode. Porsche doesn't do anything at all to limit the revs when cold (my Audi does this) and I wish they would just to prevent the risk of a meathead at the service department or a valet from free-revving my cold engine.
BOSSOB (02-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Start up question