Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Missed A Huge Opportunity With 360 Degree Surround View For Security Purposes

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 01:12 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts
Default Porsche Missed A Huge Opportunity With 360 Degree Surround View For Security Purposes

Porsche should have used the 360 surround view cameras and front/rear parking sensors for active security purposes and created a sentry mode. I believe Tesla has this. That way, if some jackass tries to break into or vandalize your car, they are recorded. Either include this or add the option for a price. I’d definitely pay it.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:32 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Yep...opportunity missed. The front and rear cameras could also serve the same function as a 2-channel dashcam. Including hardware (4k front/HD rear camera and associated bits), microSD cards and installation, I spent about $1500 on security cameras over and above what I spent for SurroundView. I'd have paid Porsche $3k or $4k in a heartbeat for integrated cameras and an app that does it all.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:45 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Are you guys nuts?

Sentry mode? 2-channel dashcam?

WTF. Porsche can barely get Homelink right.

You want them to actually implement third grade tech like Sentry mode?
The following 8 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
ajag (01-25-2021), Carcam (01-24-2021), Farmlyf (01-24-2021), Grimz (02-25-2024), Lee8084 (01-24-2021), Schwarz992C4S (09-08-2022), steve9 (01-24-2021), Tanqueray86 (01-24-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-24-2021, 02:09 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Are you guys nuts?

lol...yeah, it's a stretch, but my SurroundView works like a charm. They could certainly muster the development resources to make it happen if it were a priority. Sadly, figuring out how to cover every conceivable interior surface in leather - ideally with deviated stitching - is more important.
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (09-08-2022)
Old 01-24-2021, 02:18 AM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 132 Posts

This has been brought up before, but it’s not clear which cameras you guys are referring to or how they would actually implement this.

Almost all of the cameras are too low to be useful for any kind of sentry purposes. They are all basically at knee/waist height - the front and maybe rear might capture someone walking up from a distance, but if they are coming to your door, the mirror cams are pointing down...

There’s also the question of the hardware itself - the sensors, lens, etc. - whether they are suitable/useful for recording. And how long could it record without risking draining the battery? If it’s based on motion, where is that coming from?

Hate to sound like a downer, just trying to be realistic. These things need to be designed for, it’s not a magic flip of the switch.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:31 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ryanlsmith
This has been brought up before, but it’s not clear which cameras you guys are referring to or how they would actually implement this.

Almost all of the cameras are too low to be useful for any kind of sentry purposes. They are all basically at knee/waist height - the front and maybe rear might capture someone walking up from a distance, but if they are coming to your door, the mirror cams are pointing down...

There’s also the question of the hardware itself - the sensors, lens, etc. - whether they are suitable/useful for recording. And how long could it record without risking draining the battery? If it’s based on motion, where is that coming from?

Hate to sound like a downer, just trying to be realistic. These things need to be designed for, it’s not a magic flip of the switch.
Different cameras would be needed, and there would need to be recording capability added and an app written to manage it all. The battery can already handle the extra draw of a two-channel recording system with motion sensors for 12 hours parked and unlimited drive time, so no big hurdles on that front. Compared to many of the other on-board systems, this wouldn't be a terribly complex exercise for Porsche to do (or for VW to engineer for everyone)..

Last edited by gcurnew; 01-24-2021 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:24 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Different cameras would be needed, and there would need to be recording capability added and an app written to manage it all. The battery can already handle the extra draw of a two-channel recording system with motion sensors for 12 hours parked and unlimited drive time, so no big hurdles on that front. Compared to many of the other on-board systems, this wouldn't be a terribly complex exercise for Porsche to do (or for VW to engineer for everyone)..
Yeah but it would be a whole new system integration for them to try so I do wonder how that would work with them and if they would be able to work it out seamlessly. Maybe they could subcontract with another manufacturer like Thinkware an Backvue to integrate their systems into a car using their cameras/sensors and then if they could find an easy way to integrate into PCM then could see it....think its not far off but still not yet here. I mean it is a Porsche not a Tesla for a reason!
Old 01-24-2021, 05:59 PM
Carsten Doil
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 23 Posts

Ander after integrating all this video game stuff, everybody is crying for a smaller, lightweight version
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 07:43 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

I take great care of my cars, but aside from being smart when it comes to spot choices, I really don’t give it much worry. If a car is well taken care of, it’s generally not going to get futzed with.

I’d be more concerned parking a Honda Civic in the city than the 911. A car like a Civic is much more likely to have pieces stolen from it before you get back.

With parking my 911, the strangest experience that I have had to date was a group of young women taking photos, presumably for social media, posing with my car. They moved on seeing the owner was there, but were quite polite about it. This happened when the car was parked in a Walmart parking lot. 😜

We may care about 911s, but the general public really doesn’t. Save yourself the stress and stop worrying about it. 👍

Last edited by detansinn; 01-24-2021 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:49 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Forget the cameras, how about a remote start? Implemented in just about every vehicle or added for 500-700 bucks? But I suppose if one mentiones "self dimming mirror" in 2021 as an enticement, we must be grateful for small mercies...

siberian
Old 01-24-2021, 08:30 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
I take great care of my cars, but aside from being smart when it comes to spot choices, I really don’t give it much worry. If a car is well taken care of, it’s generally not going to get futzed with.

I’d be more concerned parking a Honda Civic in the city than the 911. A car like a Civic is much more likely to have pieces stolen from it before you get back.

With parking my 911, the strangest experience that I have had to date was a group of young women taking photos, presumably for social media, posing with my car. They moved on seeing the owner was there, but were quite polite about it. This happened when the car was parked in a Walmart parking lot. 😜

We may care about 911s, but the general public really doesn’t. Safe yourself the stress and stop worrying about it. 👍
I put a 2-ch dashcam system in my 911 mainly to gather evidence for insurance, with parking footage a secondary consideration. In Canada, insurance companies recently have begun requiring high deductibles on cars worth more than $100k; a $1500 dashcam is way less than the deductible I'd have to pay in the event someone damages the car and either takes off, or insurance companies decide - due to lack of evidence - that it's a "no fault claim" and each party is responsible for 50% of the repair cost. (This happened to my wife in 2020 who was clipped in a rental car. The other driver admitted fault at the scene, but then changed his story when insurance got involved...we ended up paying $1200 out of pocket rather than submit a claim for 50% of the repair cost.)

I have had one at-fault accident in my life, but have been the victim in numerous hit-and runs...cameras in every situation would have been able to provide evidence. I've also had situations where people effed up my parked cars...most recently a large dent on the AMG that was my DD before getting the 992, where best we could determine without video evidence was likely people exiting an Uber and slamming the door into my street-side rear quarter panel. Also had what appeared to be a pickup truck with a bumper hitch back up over the hood on a previous 911 and take off. While it was more than 20 years ago, the worst case of vandalism I've experienced was two days after I picked up the first new Integra Type R in Western Canada. The car was parked in a 'secure" underground lot and thieves unceremoniously crowbarred the rear spoiler off the car...no cameras in the parking lot but police figured it was ripped off the car to serve as the template for making replicas.

Now that I have front and rear cameras that run constantly while driving, and are set to record any motion or impacts for 12 hours of park time, I wouldn't drive a car - not just a 911 - without them. While other mainstream manufacturers (Toyota for example) offer OE systems, Porsche seems content to leave provisioning of a system that many owners would find useful to the aftermarket.
The following 3 users liked this post by gcurnew:
356to992 (01-25-2021), detansinn (01-24-2021), Mercuriell (01-25-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 11:34 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Are you guys nuts?

Not sure what you mean. My Homelink works perfectly. I get in my car in the morning, Homelink pops right up. I get back to my home and pull in the driveway, and it pops right up. In hindsight, a physical button that gets pushed twice a day on average is unnecessary.

Quick Reply: Porsche Missed A Huge Opportunity With 360 Degree Surround View For Security Purposes