Sponsored by:

ATL Detailer Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 03:01 PM
anupe
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 35 Posts
Question ATL Detailer Recommendations

Looking to gain valuable insights/recommendations on quality auto detailing shops in the Atlanta area. I’m doing an out of state purchase on a C2S coupe, probably going to do PEC ATL. So I’m operating a bit blindly not being a local. Trying to do my due diligence to assess my best options to appropriately protect the car shortly after delivery and prior to transport to my local area.

I’m not inclined to leverage the detailer the dealer contracts with unless the services are at market rate and of the highest quality. Which in my limited research leads me to understand that is rarely the case.

Services I’m considering are:
Paint correction
Ceramic
PPF
laser blocking/jamming installation
dash cam installation

Thanks in advance for your recommendations, comments and schoolgirl banter!

Last edited by anupe; 01-09-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:28 AM
FrankAT
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

For what you are looking for I’d go with Cartunes in Sandy Springs. I’ve used them for audio upgrades on several occasions. Top notch service, expert installation and they deal in >$100k cars all day.

they also do PPF and while I have no reason to doubt the quality of their work I have no first hand experience. But other feedback I’ve seen has been very positive. They are on the northern end of Fulton County. Not very far from the PEC.

Feel free to PM for other shops. Because you are looking for detail work and electronics Cartunes can get you sorted. But also bear in mind that it’s pretty cold in Atlanta right now and you should definitely let them cure it with infrared. So you are probably looking at several days if not a week or two for all of that to be done. If you were picking your 992 up in August it would be cured in like 10 minutes in Atlanta heat.

Honestly you might be better off waiting until you get back to home base. That’s a lot of work to give to an out of state shop in the event there’s a problem with something.

Last edited by FrankAT; 01-10-2021 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:49 PM
anupe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FrankAT
For what you are looking for I’d go with Cartunes in Sandy Springs. I’ve used them for audio upgrades on several occasions. Top notch service, expert installation and they deal in >$100k cars all day.

they also do PPF and while I have no reason to doubt the quality of their work I have no first hand experience. But other feedback I’ve seen has been very positive. They are on the northern end of Fulton County. Not very far from the PEC.

Feel free to PM for other shops. Because you are looking for detail work and electronics Cartunes can get you sorted. But also bear in mind that it’s pretty cold in Atlanta right now and you should definitely let them cure it with infrared. So you are probably looking at several days if not a week or two for all of that to be done. If you were picking your 992 up in August it would be cured in like 10 minutes in Atlanta heat.

Honestly you might be better off waiting until you get back to home base. That’s a lot of work to give to an out of state shop in the event there’s a problem with something.
Thank you for the recommendation, read a bit about this shop on the forum. They are in the cards.

I’m still thinking through the whole process as with most things, something is bound to happen and having all this done out of state/not within reasonable driving distance puts me at a higher risk than I might be willing to deal with. Especially, with the audio/electronics side of things. Every installer has their own way of doing things. Hate to have an issue and then the local shop complain about them having do more work because of xyz.

Pondering on this a bit more, I’m leaning towards having the car transported to me and getting everything done locally.

Thought about out a nice drive experience through the blue ridge mountains and other awesome drive roads. However, not within the first few days of ownership of my first 911. I Can always plan that drive experience for another time.

Again, thank you and I’ll PM you if I change my mind and want to look at other Atlanta area shops.

Old 01-11-2021, 03:03 AM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Detailed design for the PPF and or ceramic, and possibly the laser/ radar as well.
I have a top of the line laser and radar system I no longer use that I would sell for a song if interested.
The following 3 users liked this post by kage65:
Big Swole (01-12-2021), BudgetPlan1 (01-11-2021), Redrider (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 08:15 AM
atl1glf
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 25 Posts

Car tunes or you can reach out to Evan at Sound. Sensations in Marietta, which is near the Braves stadium for your jammer/camera install. The paint correction, I would recommend Reds which is not that far from Sound Sensations. They also do ppf as well.

Another recommendation is Atlanta Protective Films for ppf, however, I’m not sure if they do the coatings.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:25 PM
anupe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kage65
Detailed design for the PPF and or ceramic, and possibly the laser/ radar as well.
I have a top of the line laser and radar system I no longer use that I would sell for a song if interested.
Thanks for the recommendation. So, basically you don’t endorse radar detector/jammer. Care to share why you no longer use?

Originally Posted by atl1glf
Car tunes or you can reach out to Evan at Sound. Sensations in Marietta, which is near the Braves stadium for your jammer/camera install. The paint correction, I would recommend Reds which is not that far from Sound Sensations. They also do ppf as well.

Another recommendation is Atlanta Protective Films for ppf, however, I’m not sure if they do the coatings.
Thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by anupe:
atl1glf (01-12-2021), Schwarz992C4S (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 04:27 PM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by anupe
Thanks for the recommendation. So, basically you don’t endorse radar detector/jammer. Care to share why you no longer use?

Thanks
A cop can give you a ticket simply by his word, if you are going fast enough. In other words he can just estimate by his judgement that you were speeding - does not need any other proof.
Radars have so many false positives, and I feel like most cops are not driving around with it on trying to get people. If they are I feel like they would turn it on at the last possible moment.
Anti Laser is illegal in several states. I don't want to deal with getting pulled over and being scrutinized over it, or more. I had it for a year and it saved me just one time. $5k was a lot of money to pay to get out of just one ticket.
Plus I had to pay another $500 or so bucks just to get it taken out of the car when I sold it. There was a small hole drilled in the back of the steering wheel, even though the installer told me there would be no drilling. Granted you can't see it unless you look behind the wheel, but still. I just felt it was a massive hassle and loads of money for not a whole lot in return.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:59 PM
FrankAT
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

A cop can give you a ticket simply by his word, if you are going fast enough. In other words he can just estimate by his judgement that you were speeding - does not need any other proof.
Radars have so many false positives, and I feel like most cops are not driving around with it on trying to get people. If they are I feel like they would turn it on at the last possible moment.
Anti Laser is illegal in several states. I don't want to deal with getting pulled over and being scrutinized over it, or more. I had it for a year and it saved me just one time. $5k was a lot of money to pay to get out of just one ticket.
Plus I had to pay another $500 or so bucks just to get it taken out of the car when I sold it. There was a small hole drilled in the back of the steering wheel, even though the installer told me there would be no drilling. Granted you can't see it unless you look behind the wheel, but still. I just felt it was a massive hassle and loads of money for not a whole lot in return.
This largely depends on state law. Some states have a "too fast for conditions" (or similar) statute that does not require an instrumented measure (VASCAR, radar, lidar) of speed but they are very, very difficult to prosecute absent an accident or some other piece of material evidence that establishes speeding. In Georgia, jammers and detectors are legal. While radar is being phased out in favor of laser, most traffic units will be equipped with radar as laser can only be shot from a stationary position. I spent 10 years as a cop before going to private sector. Its very easy to tell when someone is running a jammer but there are so many speeders on a big highway you just move on to the next one. Personally, I unless your driving record is deplorable and you are at risk of having your license suspended (and needing to pay a lot of legal fees to fight the ticket) I don't think jammers are worth it. They are thousands of dollars for a professional install and when you consider the ticket will likely be only a few hundred and there is always potential to do a no-lo or some other negotiated plea to avoid a points assessment the math just doesn't work out. Plus I really don't want someone tinkering around in my $150k sports car to install it.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:20 PM
anupe
Rennlist Member

This largely depends on state law. Some states have a "too fast for conditions" (or similar) statute that does not require an instrumented measure (VASCAR, radar, lidar) of speed but they are very, very difficult to prosecute absent an accident or some other piece of material evidence that establishes speeding. In Georgia, jammers and detectors are legal. While radar is being phased out in favor of laser, most traffic units will be equipped with radar as laser can only be shot from a stationary position. I spent 10 years as a cop before going to private sector. Its very easy to tell when someone is running a jammer but there are so many speeders on a big highway you just move on to the next one. Personally, I unless your driving record is deplorable and you are at risk of having your license suspended (and needing to pay a lot of legal fees to fight the ticket) I don't think jammers are worth it. They are thousands of dollars for a professional install and when you consider the ticket will likely be only a few hundred and there is always potential to do a no-lo or some other negotiated plea to avoid a points assessment the math just doesn't work out. Plus I really don't want someone tinkering around in my $150k sports car to install it.
Thanks to both for your thoughts and prospective!
Old 01-12-2021, 11:02 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,325 Posts

The ATL area, this NOBODY better than Jean Claude at Detailed Designs Auto Spa!!

He did my former 2012 TTS (and will be doing my 991.2TTS)

Here's my car during Pick up day!!!

Jean-Claude 770-648-6030 and 678-859-1795

Disregard his mustache...lol. He'd lost a bet!!

Last edited by Big Swole; 01-12-2021 at 11:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Big Swole:
kage65 (01-14-2021), Redrider (01-13-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 11:05 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

FALSE INFO on cops being able to write you based on their judgement of speed!!!! Ask me how I know!!!

It's either Radar (Rarely used anymore but most Depts) or Lidar (Laser), which is the most used , accurate, hard to beat in court.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:31 PM
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 95 Posts

Totally agree that laser jammers are not necessary. If you pay close attention to the road ahead including drivers ahead with brake lights, you can see or sense the cop before he can take a reading. However most of the time you get nabbed when you are not paying attention. It's just a piece of mind. I have the same feeling about PPF- not necessary at all, but a piece of mind for some people.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:54 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 205 Posts

Get a Valentine-1 Gen 2 and call it a day
Old 01-13-2021, 10:06 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2020
Totally agree that laser jammers are not necessary. If you pay close attention to the road ahead including drivers ahead with brake lights, you can see or sense the cop before he can take a reading. However most of the time you get nabbed when you are not paying attention. It's just a piece of mind. I have the same feeling about PPF- not necessary at all, but a piece of mind for some people.
Our lasers can go out to 1500+ feet or more at times. You have to be looking WAY ahead to read traffic like that.

Good look with that. Jammers do work. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:42 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
The ATL area, this NOBODY better than Jean Claude at Detailed Designs Auto Spa!!

He did my former 2012 TTS (and will be doing my 991.2TTS)

Here's my car during Pick up day!!!

Jean-Claude 770-648-6030 and 678-859-1795

Disregard his mustache...lol. He'd lost a bet!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6sN-SUqFZM
he will take care of your car like it’s his own ........picked up my Speedster last week. He did my first car in 2013, you can’t go wrong .......he’s very busy with work so you need to book early.

The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
Big Swole (01-13-2021), Redrider (01-14-2021)

Quick Reply: ATL Detailer Recommendations