Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMC Filters for 992

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021 | 12:55 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ryoga4523
I am new to Porsche, since my 992 C2S is going to be my first P-car, but I have never heard of any dealership installing aftermarket parts. So Porsche installs aftermarket on their cars??? That’s awesome. Yet another reason I am glad I purchased the 911.
Most of the time they are good to go with stuff like this. I just left them on the seats and asked for them to do it and they did it at no charge as car was in for exhaust install. I would say that some dealership are a bit more **** about aftermarket installs and especially if you get into stuff like engine mods and tuning. Otherwise you need to ask and have a conversation with them and see what their tolerance is and then go fro there.
Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Almost all porsche dealers will install these filters for you - just put them in the car and tell them on the first service to install. Or if you are putting on winter/summer tires, you can do it yourself. I might put these on when I change back to my summer tires as that is about the time for my first service, it is pretty simple. I will just tell my service advisor I change the air filters and they will not do that. Porsche is pretty friendly with mods. My last 911 they put in a short shifter and cables for me during a service. Cost a few hundred bucks, but they are very different than the F, L and Mclaren dealers on that front.
Yep that is what I've done. Did the short shifter in my 981 Cayman S too from my WA dealer in 2014 on my dime...no problems so it is do-able. Don't know if you don't ask.
Old 01-10-2021 | 09:09 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I asked my usual Porsche dealer if they do after marker exhaust installs and the guy on the phone said “no”

But maybe I just need to keep asking until somebody says “yes”
Old 01-10-2021 | 09:12 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
No point keep the stock ones
A similar type performance filter was tested by Carwow on a 996 on a Dyno. See for yourself, but post installation they actually reduced performance a tad:

Last edited by Tupper; 01-10-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-10-2021 | 09:37 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tupper
I asked my usual Porsche dealer if they do after marker exhaust installs and the guy on the phone said “no”

But maybe I just need to keep asking until somebody says “yes”
Call around and even better get acquainted with your closest independent service shop familiar with Porsches. Some dealers don't want to do it due to their fear that customers will complain if fit/finish isn't exact and they can't guarantee it since its not a Porsche part. Others would rather sell you a PSE exhaust installed as an add on and make a bit of coinage on the deal for the dealership also so that also can sometimes come to play. But really its the same as a PSE install and not difficult at all (look at some of the Youtube installs for exhausts on 991s...not much different...rear cat back retrofit...hardest part seems taking off the bumper!). If it were me I'd talk to them i person and tell them the name/model of what you want and see then...talk to the service manager may help. In my experience with my cars.....many times they ended up putting one of their Sr Master techs on the work order to ensure it was done correctly...some may have disclaimers that they are NOT responsible for fit/finish or damage due to the part but SO far no dealer has told me absolutely not. As an additional note... I've have my previous Carrera serviced in 3 different states by 3 dealers during my 5 yr ownership (AZ, NE, HI)....and also had no problems with WA dealers also; most Porsche dealers have seen aftermarket parts on these cars due to the nature of what they are...performance sports cars as well as the owners particular bent/desires so it's not an alien experience to them. You may just need to ask around a bit. Also don't overlook performance sport shops and many vendors have a network of shops who can install their products and help also. When I had my car in WA I'd even drive down to Portland to get it worked on by a great shop called Matrix Integrated I found that did all types of European models. Didn't mind the road trip down (2 hrs or so) and would even leave my car and take the train back home and pickup the car when ready. IMHO when you find a good independent shop that knows these cars...it can be a very good thing. So don't give up the fight! . Good luck!
Old 01-11-2021 | 11:23 AM
but did you die
Racer

Originally Posted by markchristenson
I thought about it after the fact when it was too late. I will say that it was slightly more involved/time-consuming than the video implied :-) there are a total of four Torx screws of one size, one Torx screw of a separate size, and a hex nut that need to be removed to take off the inside wheel well piece. There are then two Torx screws that you need to unscrew in order to pull the air filter holder out. However, if you have all the tools it does go pretty quickly. The hardest part was trying to get the low profile jack under the car so we could lift up the whole thing and do both sides at once. I needed to roll the car up onto a block of wood in order to get the jack underneath.
So what do you think of the BMC filters? Any change in noise/turbo spool?
Old 01-11-2021 | 05:29 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by but did you die
In all honesty, *I* can't tell a difference. And I'm not going back to re-listen to the stock filters :-)

But I least I can brag about having them!

Last edited by markchristenson; 01-11-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2021 | 01:01 PM
but did you die
Racer

In all honesty, *I* can't tell a difference. And I'm not going back to re-listen to the stock filters :-)

LOL...welp so much for the sound improvement!

I know on the Ferrari 458s the BMC filters add a ton of intake resonance sound that most people like - its VERY noticeable. Could be a NA vs FI thing...

Last edited by but did you die; 01-12-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2021 | 01:14 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

I know on the Ferrari 458s the BMC filters add a ton of intake resonance sound that most people like - its VERY noticeable. Could be a NA vs FI thing thing
I appreciate the benefit of the doubt, but it’s likely a combination of my lack of aural discernment combined with my inexperience with the car and not being able to really get after it yet (only ~400 miles so far).

cheers :-)
Old 01-12-2021 | 01:16 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

What? I can totally hear a difference. You hear way more induction noise. You also hear flutter if you gas it and immediately lift off. Maybe your not driving your car hard enough? lol. Im just kidding.

I know on the Ferrari 458s the BMC filters add a ton of intake resonance sound that most people like - its VERY noticeable. Could be a NA vs FI thing thing
These and soul sport cats sound like this all day at low speed.

People tell me "I can hear your turbos" all the time. The sport cats helped make the filters make much more sound. But the filters still offer some induction noise with stock cats.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 01-12-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2021 | 02:30 PM
but did you die
Racer

Installed BMC filters a couple days ago...simple and straight forward installation. You'll spend more time jacking up the car and removing/remounting the wheel than you will on the actual install. FYI - a hockey puck works great for the 992 jack points.

Results?

Welp...nothing that I hear or feel. I didn't expect to feel any power gains but I was hoping for some more induction noise and/or turbo whistle. Sounds stock to me. It seems like the exhaust mods bring the increased turbo whistle and induction noises not the air filters. At least I know they won't hurt anything and they won't be a restriction when the tune is pulling more airflow through them. Although a very unscientific test; blowing air through each filter and placing your hand on the other side - it is obvious the BMC filter flows more air. Whether that translates to power or not is anyone's guess.

Kline Cat bypass pipes go on tomorrow....these will definitely bring the noise!

The following 2 users liked this post by but did you die:
Tupper (02-18-2021), vg247 (01-28-2023)
Old 02-18-2021 | 04:07 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My understanding is that these filters affect intake INTO the engine, correct? Thus more airflow into the intake manifold and cylinders, etc. if that is the case, I can’t see a reason why they would change or enhance the sound of the exhaust
Old 02-18-2021 | 04:48 PM
but did you die
Racer

Originally Posted by Tupper
My understanding is that these filters affect intake INTO the engine, correct? Thus more airflow into the intake manifold and cylinders, etc. if that is the case, I can’t see a reason why they would change or enhance the sound of the exhaust
You're right, air filters would not change the sound of the exhaust, they would change the sound of the intake or "induction" sound. Or it least that is what I was hoping. On NA cars freeing up the intake almost always results in more induction resonance and intake sound compared to stock. On FI cars this could mean you hear more of the turbochargers "sucking" in air as the throttle is opened. Some like the sound, some don't.

On the 992 it seems most of that turbo whistle sound is uncorked by free up the exhaust side of the turbo, not the intake side.
Old 02-18-2021 | 09:16 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Don't forget to clean and oil this filter.

clean and oil
Old 02-18-2021 | 10:24 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

I cant wait to hear your catless setup @but did you die
Old 02-23-2021 | 12:03 PM
but did you die
Racer

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I cant wait to hear your catless setup @but did you die
Catless is SO GOOD! I'm waiting to put some more miles on it to give it a proper review but so far I'm all smiles

Quick Reply: BMC Filters for 992