Sponsored by:

Why you need a Dashcam! :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 06:08 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 454 Posts
Default Why you need a Dashcam! :(

Well I bought a set of dashcams to add to my car and my daily driver over the holidays. Was able to get the daily driver done and was to call the shop back tomorrow to set up a date for the 992. Too late. Parking lot encounter with someone today on my front bumper...hit and run...god how I hate that shyt. No note..NO nothing just a nice scuff that went all the way thru both my clear coat and paint down to the bumper! WTF!!! Thinking SUV or raised/lifted pickup or something as the front is very low. Also was very surprised how thin the paint layer on the bumper was BTW! Not sure if PPL would have helped but welcome to ideas from the group .

Parking lot incident - 8 Jan 21

Since I hadn't had the dashcam install appt for the 992 [dealer just gave me their recs last weekend on a shop to use; was happily same on that did my daily driver]. Unfortunately the parking mode on my uninstalled Thinkware's Q600Pro 2 channel dash which would have at least given me photo/video evidence of the accomplice was useless in the box!

Thinkware Q800Pro 2 channel Dashcam and iVolt Accessory Battery

Am pissed but glad it wasn't worse and blessed to have the car still and ability to repair it easily....body shop appt on Monday at Porsche Approved Center...respray in the future I believe give the size though. Get a Dashcam AND install it guys/gals!
Old 01-09-2021, 08:55 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

Bummer man! Sorry to hear this

I honestly don’t think I will ever park my 911 anywhere other than in a garage
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 01:46 PM
dgasmd
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry to hear man. Yes on the thin paint. I had a MB that got scrapped on the bumper and that thing was like honey thick. Porsche's paint is super thin, which is one big reason why these cars get so many rock chips on the front just from regular driving. My previous 991.2 had a bunch of them 3 months after getting the bumper and hood re-sprayed. Matter of fact, my other commuter, a 2007 MB has less that that one did and it has 145K miles on it.
mdrobc1213 (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 02:01 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,093 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Even if you had a dash cam, I would not want to have used insurance on this if you found out who they were. The damage report that is going to come on the carfax is just not worth it. Document the damage properly, repaint it, and then show the buyer when you are selling it. But that's never good and the fact people don't leave notes anymore is beyond me.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bxstr:
dgasmd (01-10-2021), mdrobc1213 (01-09-2021), not4one (01-25-2021), steve9 (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 02:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Sucks what happened. Sorry to see it happen to you.

But, for what its worth, even with a dashcam if it was a hit-and-run I would doubt even the video evidence would get you very much. Even with a license plate info, you'd still have to ID the driver, which is what you need to get compensation. And then depending on how litigious or how big a degenerate that person may be, they may actually fight you on what happened.

I literally have the worst hit-and-run story with my previous GT3. Guy side swiped me on the road, then tried to speed away. I chased him and followed him home, confronted him, at which point he f!cking denied ever hitting me. Even though his car had damage and paint marks from my car. I actually had to threaten to take him to small claims court to get compensation.

Humans ...

Last edited by ipse dixit; 01-09-2021 at 02:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
G650 (01-13-2021), mdrobc1213 (01-09-2021), ribold01 (01-26-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 05:20 PM
ronflax
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Very unfortunate and sorry to hear about it. PPL would likely not have helped much here and in fact would have ended up costing you more to repair since you'd have to first fix the bumper (remove, do body work, repaint, etc.) then reapply the PPL at whatever that costs. I had a similar issue where a valet parking attendant scraped up the side/bottom of the front bumper on my previous car, a Boxster.. The venue didn't stand behind the attendant and denied that they caused the issue. I ended up filing an insurance claim. Paid for fixing the bumper and replacing the PPL. In my case a camera may have helped.
The following 2 users liked this post by ronflax:
maschinetheist (11-17-2021), mdrobc1213 (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 10:40 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgasmd
Sorry to hear man. Yes on the thin paint. I had a MB that got scrapped on the bumper and that thing was like honey thick. Porsche's paint is super thin, which is one big reason why these cars get so many rock chips on the front just from regular driving. My previous 991.2 had a bunch of them 3 months after getting the bumper and hood re-sprayed. Matter of fact, my other commuter, a 2007 MB has less that that one did and it has 145K miles on it.
That part was surprising...the bumper paint was a thin as a few sheets of paper it seems. Had the same happen to my 991.1 when I bought it in 2016 on the lot...had some bumper damage/scapes/along with scrapped up front spoiler....dealer fixed it as part of cost but still was surprising.
Originally Posted by Tupper
Bummer man! Sorry to hear this

I honestly don’t think I will ever park my 911 anywhere other than in a garage
Its a car and you gotta park it somewhere and most of the time I do watch where I part it...take spaces where am in a corner so only one side avail for other cars or away from the duct tape mobiles I call them that have owners with multiple body damage that is unfixed that you know means if they can't fix theirs they ain't about to fix yours. But do drive and enjoy the car...so it means I gotta park it in public sometimes.
Originally Posted by Bxstr
Even if you had a dash cam, I would not want to have used insurance on this if you found out who they were. The damage report that is going to come on the carfax is just not worth it. Document the damage properly, repaint it, and then show the buyer when you are selling it. But that's never good and the fact people don't leave notes anymore is beyond me.
Yes that is my thought...deductible is probably almost 70-80% of the fix on this so plan is to fix it out of pocket so I don't see the CARFAX bounce back and to tell the shop to I do NOT want them to report the respray. I've seen lots of shops now even dealers that auto report EVERYTIME they touch your car in CARFAX now. Nice for maintenance but not for stuff like this!
Originally Posted by ronflax
Very unfortunate and sorry to hear about it. PPL would likely not have helped much here and in fact would have ended up costing you more to repair since you'd have to first fix the bumper (remove, do body work, repaint, etc.) then reapply the PPL at whatever that costs. I had a similar issue where a valet parking attendant scraped up the side/bottom of the front bumper on my previous car, a Boxster.. The venue didn't stand behind the attendant and denied that they caused the issue. I ended up filing an insurance claim. Paid for fixing the bumper and replacing the PPL. In my case a camera may have helped.
Yes I agree it isn't 100% but DASHCAM would have gotten me a starting point to try to get maybe something from the other party person-person or via their insurance company! Also I would like to think although I am wrong seeing the dashcam installed and blinking at them may provoke just a small minority of folks who may be apt to "hit and run" to stay and report/leave a note being the incident is captured on video and could be already uploaded to the cloud in many new modern dashcam functions (Thinkware is one that does have that functionality). However humans...will be humans. I personally would have left a note...just how I was raised I guess.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:54 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Thinkware Q800 Pro Dashcam install was completed today! Also body shop estimate for repair...as I expected was a tad bit above my deductible but not by much which makes it a wash. Wasn't planning on using my insurance anyway even-though they've always been great (USAA). Mounted more on driver's side versus passenger side or dead center for a few reasons....dead center places it too low in the center windshield IMHO for me and to the right of the mirror (passenger's side) places the buttons/controls too far out of my reach if needed/wanted. Understand most never touch them as my installer said but if you need to requires you to shift your body over the center console to look up at the mirror from the passenger seat. Doesn't block my center vision where it is and just need to get used to seeing it in my peripheral vision when I look cross center across the hood that's all. But Thinkware has a pretty good Parking Mode from all I've read vs the Backvue that doesn't require additional wiring kit to retain battery voltage and also have equivalent if not better picture quality so happy with that. so far.

These may help..

​​​​​​
Old 01-14-2021, 12:15 AM
kaylie
Racer

Received 244 Likes on 102 Posts

Looks good but how do dash cams record the back and sides?

when you park head in, it doesn’t capture someone walking from behind
Old 01-14-2021, 01:10 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kaylie
Looks good but how do dash cams record the back and sides?

when you park head in, it doesn’t capture someone walking from behind
Thanks...yes it does record at least front and rear clearly. Its a dual channel setup with camera in front and back so you get a 120 degree view of the front and also the rear. Have similar set up in my car in the rear. Sides I agree you won't get but this is better than anything especially in parking lot as well as garage and home. It has motion detection sensor and time lapse as well as extended modes to record while parking so that helps. Also if someone hit you from the side the cameras would record the aftermath also and be useful in an MVA.

Old 01-24-2021, 03:17 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Good news. Vehicle has been repaired and bumper area completed and back to OEM in look and quality. Porsche certified shop did great job with matching with Chalk paint. Only issue is that after bumper removal car may throw some codes due to disconnection of parking sensors, Active areo controls, and an antenna connection apparently in the bumper. My car had to go back to the dealer yesterday to clear fault codes and reset them due to removal and disconnection/reconnection but otherwise is good to go. Will add ceramic coating later on in about 2 weeks to give paint time to cure. Dashcam is now installed and ready to prevent part 2 or at least record it if it happens. Stay safe out there with your cars guys!

Parking scuff - 1-8-2021

Shop pickup - 1-21-21

Scratch repair completed 1-21-21
The following 9 users liked this post by mdrobc1213:
Bluehighways (01-24-2021), FD9NY (01-24-2021), Lee8084 (01-24-2021), russbert (01-26-2021), steve9 (01-26-2021), Todd C (01-25-2021), wasabi4 (01-24-2021), WhitBroo (01-24-2021), Wilsontour (01-24-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-25-2021, 08:39 PM
Todd C
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

I was wondering today how this worked out. Glad to hear all is well - looks great! Thanks for the update.
mdrobc1213 (01-26-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 10:41 PM
not4one
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Having spent a couple decades parking in Manhattan, I learned long ago that they’re not called bumpers for nothing....they’re for bumping. Nothing to see here.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:21 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todd C
I was wondering today how this worked out. Glad to hear all is well - looks great! Thanks for the update.
Thanks. Yes did a good job and fixed the area back to OEM. Much appreciated.
Originally Posted by not4one
Having spent a couple decades parking in Manhattan, I learned long ago that they’re not called bumpers for nothing....they’re for bumping. Nothing to see here.
Ah yeah and wouldn't be parking a 911 in Manhattan either for the same reason I've just experienced. Wonder if you'd say the same for your car hit and damaged with no contact info left. Would you say they're just fenders if it were your car? Just sayin...
Old 01-26-2021, 09:40 AM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Looks great.

Quick Reply: Why you need a Dashcam! :(