Sponsored by:

FAL

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 01:31 PM
dbrena
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAL

Hello everyone, I am wondering if front axle lift can be retrofitted for the 992 or if there is any other solution? Thanks.

Last edited by dbrena; 01-05-2021 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Clarifying
Old 01-05-2021, 01:43 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrena
Hello everyone, I am wondering if front axle lift can be retrofitted or if there is any other solution? Thanks.
For a 992? I'm unsure if the Porsche factory FAL can be retrofitted, and a cursory Google of aftermarket options yields nothing for me.

I can tell you that Tag Motorsports sells an aftermarket kit for a 991, for a cool $7,995.00. Whatever retrofitting options there are for the 992 will likely be in that ballpark...a good bit pricier than ticking the box when the car is ordered from the factory.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:51 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 132 Posts

Purely anecdotal, but my factory FAL failed already (~7500 miles) - driver side seal/boot blew out and/or started leaking. Was fixed/replaced of course, but I've definitely stopped using it for my driveway and just take it at a sharp enough angle now instead of being lazy.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,677 Likes on 5,111 Posts

Techart had one for the previous generations of the 911 (i.e., 997, 991, etc.)

Give a year or two and they might come up with a solution for the 992 as well.

But currently I don't believe there is any aftermarket retrofit. Nor an OEM retrofit solution.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:05 PM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 82 Posts

I considered FAL for a minute.... and if you have some steep inclines that you need you need to navigate, then sure.

But I am actually very delighted that this six-figure sports car has an easily removable lip that can be removed/replaced for less than $200 when/if I ever need to.

I can replace almost 14 lips for the price of the FAL option.

The following 3 users liked this post by BlitzedTT:
aggie57 (01-05-2021), aw305 (01-05-2021), detansinn (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 07:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,677 Likes on 5,111 Posts

Originally Posted by BlitzedTT
I considered FAL for a minute.... and if you have some steep inclines that you need you need to navigate, then sure.

But I am actually very delighted that this six-figure sports car has an easily removable lip that can be removed/replaced for less than $200 when/if I ever need to.

I can replace almost 14 lips for the price of the FAL option.
That's often the calculus that people make and say when trying to figure out whether FAL is cost-effective.

But the issue is not so much the lip itself, which as you rightly note is quite inexpensive; rather, it's that sometimes the force of the impact to the front/bottom of the car (without FAL) will result in damage to the actual front bumper, which by all accounts is not an inexpensive or easy replacement or repair.

That said, the 992 911 rides high enough (even with SPASM), that even with the longish front overhang, if you have your approach angles down and didn't flunk 4th grade geometry, you should be able to navigate just about 99% of any driveway, speed bump, or dip that comes your way.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:03 PM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
That's often the calculus that people make and say when trying to figure out whether FAL is cost-effective.

But the issue is not so much the lip itself, which as you rightly note is quite inexpensive; rather, it's that sometimes the force of the impact to the front/bottom of the car (without FAL) will result in damage to the actual front bumper, which by all accounts is not an inexpensive or easy replacement or repair.

That said, the 992 911 rides high enough (even with SPASM), that even with the longish front overhang, if you have your approach angles down and didn't flunk 4th grade geometry, you should be able to navigate just about 99% of any driveway, speed bump, or dip that comes your way.
I have driven cars lower than a SPASM 992 for over 20 years... if an impact were to occur that would cause that much damage, I'm willing to bet that I would not have had the opportunity to use the FAL to lift the car in time anyway.

Generally scrapes/bumps are fairly minor and impact the lip which can be easily fixed.

Again, if I had a steep driveway, or believe that I would frequent these obstacles, sure I would consider it.... but at almost $3K for this option, it doesn't make sense to me, and probably wouldn't to most folks.
The following users liked this post:
Tanqueray86 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 09:10 AM
Millscl73
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanlsmith
Purely anecdotal, but my factory FAL failed already (~7500 miles) - driver side seal/boot blew out and/or started leaking. Was fixed/replaced of course, but I've definitely stopped using it for my driveway and just take it at a sharp enough angle now instead of being lazy.
My factory FAL failed at less than 500 miles. I get an error message stating that service is necessary, but when I restart the car, FAL starts working again...only to fail again later. Totally shocking to me that this would happen on a new Porsche.

Quick Reply: FAL