Sponsored by:

Aero issues spasm front lip

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 05:02 PM
Joepster75
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Aero issues spasm front lip

I have read on the forum that there would be some people experience aero issues after upgrading a pasm 992 with the larger and more visible spasm front lip.

Because i can’t find these reactions, i would like to hear from the owners who did the upgrade if they have experienced any problems, for instance at high speed.

Also, a lot of people lower their 992 even more by upgrading with the hr springs for instance. That would also change the airflow under the car i guess but never heard anyone complain about aero issues?

Last edited by Joepster75; 01-04-2021 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:26 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Joepster75
I have read on the forum that there would be some people experience aero issues after upgrading a pasm 992 with the larger and more visible spasm front lip.

Because i can’t find these reactions, i would like to hear from the owners who did the upgrade if they have experienced any problems, for instance at high speed.

Also, a lot of people lower their 992 even more by upgrading with the hr springs for instance. That would also change the airflow under the car i guess but never heard anyone complain about aero issues?

I cannot imagine unless doing high speed runs, that the average day to day driving you would sense anything at all. Same would go for the extended side rails you can put on, etc. I just don't think it is enough to notice in all but the extreme cases, if even then.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:34 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it
Old 01-04-2021, 09:17 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Maybe someone could make some sort of argument on paper, however it practical real life it would be absurd. There are infinite variables that affect the aerodynamics of the 911 and the front lip is only one of them.

Define what you would consider to be a problem. Define what you consider to be high speed.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:39 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,256 Posts

The reason Porsche has a different Spoiler Lip on a SPASM optioned car could be as simple as . . . take your pick:
  1. With just PASM (stock suspension), the spoiler the car is equipped with provides the best coefficient of drag and thus the best MPG numbers and/or emissions results. BUT with a lowered suspension (even 10mm) this standard spoiler may encounter to many impacts with curbs, driveways and such.
  2. The SPASM spoiler is the idea of someone in marketing to appeal to the sort of folks who want the SPASM suspension.
  3. Someone at Porsche has a significant financial stake in the company that manufactures the stock/ugly PASM spoiler.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:51 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
The reason Porsche has a different Spoiler Lip on a SPASM optioned car could be as simple as . . . take your pick:
  1. With just PASM (stock suspension), the spoiler the car is equipped with provides the best coefficient of drag and thus the best MPG numbers and/or emissions results. BUT with a lowered suspension (even 10mm) this standard spoiler may encounter to many impacts with curbs, driveways and such.
  2. The SPASM spoiler is the idea of someone in marketing to appeal to the sort of folks who want the SPASM suspension.
  3. Someone at Porsche has a significant financial stake in the company that manufactures the stock/ugly PASM spoiler.
Or maybe, just maybe, the SPASM one is what the car was designed for then some smart marketing type says...."well, if we put on something less as standard we can add this as an option, no?".
Old 01-04-2021, 11:46 PM
msile
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 68 Posts

I have upgraded my base Carrera https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1208...uards-red.html
No issues at all even with high speed runs. Felt "normal"
Old 01-05-2021, 02:42 AM
Joepster75
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by msile
I have upgraded my base Carrera https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1208...uards-red.html
No issues at all even with high speed runs. Felt "normal"
Wow, you did a lot to your 992! Looks stunning! Did the techart springs make a lot of differnce? How much lower are they over standard?
Old 01-05-2021, 09:58 AM
msile
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 68 Posts

Wow, you did a lot to your 992! Looks stunning! Did the techart springs make a lot of differnce? How much lower are they over standard?
Thank you. Sorry, I am on stock springs. I was just talking about the lip.

Quick Reply: Aero issues spasm front lip