Sponsored by:

Add a side stripe to the 992

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 05:51 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,349 Likes on 1,523 Posts
Default Add a side stripe to the 992

I've always like side stripes, and run something on the doors on every Porsche I've owned. I know its not everyone's cup of tea - so if you don't like stripes you can just move on to the next thread. This is a how-to for cheap if you decide you want to add the factory stripe to your 992 - which I believe is $ 300 on the Configurator.

I purchased these from Autoshop Design in Lithuania - he had a lot of styles but I wanted the factory 992 version and in a non-factory color to match the gray in the spyder wheels. This is not a color Porsche offers, and is called Anthracite Matte Metallic.

https://autodesign.shop/ He got these to me in the USA in less than a week. Price was $ 115 GBP including UPS express shipping ( $ 157 USD conversion) and came with extensions to go over the stone guards, but I didn't put those on.

This is not a hard project, just requires a little patience.

Before:

1) It was cold in the garage being January 1st, so I warmed the door panels up with a hair dryer, then wiped down the decal area with Mineral Spirits to remove the wax, then some some cleaner to remove the residue from the mineral spirits.

2) Place the sticker on the door by eyeballing it and hold with two pieces of painter's tape, then get a tape measure out and adjust so that the front and back of the decal are the same distance from the bottom of the door panel.

3) Once you are satisfied with the alignment, run another piece of painter's tape across the entire top of the decal horizontally at the top edge.

4) Flip the decal up and secure it with one piece of tape.

5) Use a spritzer bottle of soapy water and spray liberally on the door panel where the sticker is going to be placed. Remove the backing paper on the decal to expose the adhesive and spray that as well. Then simply release your one piece of tape securing the hold and fold it down, Press smoothly with your hands on the decal to adhere and press out any bubbles. You can use a window tinting squeegee but may not need one. Remove all the Painter's tape. Then CAREFULLY start pulling off the cover paper, the sticker itself is still damp and may want to lift as you pull the paper, just go slow and press it down. Patience is key here, don't stretch out the vinyl. Once you get the paper off, gently push out any bubbles underneath and you're done.

If you don't like it after a bit, just peel it off and you're only out the cost of the stickers.

I'm quite happy with the way it came out and the stripe color is perfect.

Last edited by drcollie; 01-01-2021 at 06:03 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by drcollie:
atl1glf (01-02-2021), Lee8084 (01-02-2021), NVRANUF (01-01-2021), pet2065 (01-02-2021), Schwarz992C4S (01-02-2021), steve9 (01-02-2021), user 64927802 (01-01-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-01-2021, 07:14 PM
twin_turbo
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good. Really like how it matches the wheels.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:53 AM
steve9
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts

Job well done and looking good, I much prefer the Porsche door decals than the model designation ones. Did the colour work out as you had planned I.e. matching the spyder? Hard to tell from the photo.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:30 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I've always like side stripes, and run something on the doors on every Porsche I've owned. I know its not everyone's cup of tea - so if you don't like stripes you can just move on to the next thread. This is a how-to for cheap if you decide you want to add the factory stripe to your 992 - which I believe is $ 300 on the Configurator.

I purchased these from Autoshop Design in Lithuania - he had a lot of styles but I wanted the factory 992 version and in a non-factory color to match the gray in the spyder wheels. This is not a color Porsche offers, and is called Anthracite Matte Metallic.

https://autodesign.shop/ He got these to me in the USA in less than a week. Price was $ 115 GBP including UPS express shipping ( $ 157 USD conversion) and came with extensions to go over the stone guards, but I didn't put those on.

This is not a hard project, just requires a little patience.

Before:

1) It was cold in the garage being January 1st, so I warmed the door panels up with a hair dryer, then wiped down the decal area with Mineral Spirits to remove the wax, then some some cleaner to remove the residue from the mineral spirits.

2) Place the sticker on the door by eyeballing it and hold with two pieces of painter's tape, then get a tape measure out and adjust so that the front and back of the decal are the same distance from the bottom of the door panel.

3) Once you are satisfied with the alignment, run another piece of painter's tape across the entire top of the decal horizontally at the top edge.

4) Flip the decal up and secure it with one piece of tape.

5) Use a spritzer bottle of soapy water and spray liberally on the door panel where the sticker is going to be placed. Remove the backing paper on the decal to expose the adhesive and spray that as well. Then simply release your one piece of tape securing the hold and fold it down, Press smoothly with your hands on the decal to adhere and press out any bubbles. You can use a window tinting squeegee but may not need one. Remove all the Painter's tape. Then CAREFULLY start pulling off the cover paper, the sticker itself is still damp and may want to lift as you pull the paper, just go slow and press it down. Patience is key here, don't stretch out the vinyl. Once you get the paper off, gently push out any bubbles underneath and you're done.

If you don't like it after a bit, just peel it off and you're only out the cost of the stickers.

I'm quite happy with the way it came out and the stripe color is perfect.
Nice job looks really good. Sporty but understated with the grey color.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:07 AM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

For some reason, I really think it looks great! As you said, it is very easy to remove.

At Deals Gap, Tail of the Dragon (US 129).

Quick Reply: Add a side stripe to the 992