Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Carrera Cabriolet. New owner, first impressions and intro

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 05:20 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 500 Likes on 221 Posts

So one minor hiccup to what can only be described as a sublimely amazing car - woke up today ready to take her out for a spin, reversed out to set up the garage door and noticed a puddle of pink fluid under the drivers side engine. Almost certainly cooler fluid. NO warnings on the dash and hoping that it will just be a minor leak. Unfortunately no drives until it is flat bedded to my dealer on Monday and then looks like between repair and bleeding could be without the car for a good week - bummer. Certainly hope it is not more than that.
The following users liked this post:
dgasmd (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 05:41 PM
kartadmin
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats the blue really grows on me, the more I see it. Haven't seen it in person here in Seattle.
The following 2 users liked this post by kartadmin:
dgasmd (01-02-2021), mobilis (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 05:50 PM
rmauro
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats- I know that shop as I live in Vero Beach.
dgasmd (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 06:25 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,364 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
So one minor hiccup to what can only be described as a sublimely amazing car - woke up today ready to take her out for a spin, reversed out to set up the garage door and noticed a puddle of pink fluid under the drivers side engine. Almost certainly cooler fluid. NO warnings on the dash and hoping that it will just be a minor leak. Unfortunately no drives until it is flat bedded to my dealer on Monday and then looks like between repair and bleeding could be without the car for a good week - bummer. Certainly hope it is not more than that.
Well that's a bummer. Does it look like this? If so, that is coolant. Most likely a bad gasket or bearing on the water pump. Some 911's have had water pump issues. Make sure they give you a nice loaner!

Old 01-02-2021, 08:51 PM
craig66
Pro

Originally Posted by drcollie
Well that's a bummer. Does it look like this? If so, that is coolant. Most likely a bad gasket or bearing on the water pump. Some 911's have had water pump issues. Make sure they give you a nice loaner!

Yep that's exactly what it looks like - hope they will have a loaner for me but I think in the current market there are not a lot of "on the lot 911's" out there as loaners and as long as they work quickly and fix it quickly I will be okay with my Macan for a week.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:35 PM
dgasmd
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
That truly sucks!!! All this waiting and then this right from the beginning. Like a friend Porsche mechanic told me last year " Porsche has been able to figure out how to squeeze performance and speed out of every once of these cars, but for some damn reason they haven't yet figure out how to keep the coolant running inside of a water cooled car"!!! Hope is a quick fix and they get you back out soon. Hope is the last of that altogether too!!
craig66 (01-02-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 11:34 AM
dgasmd
Instructor

Brief update.

Almost 2 weeks into it, and I am yet to find but a single thing I dislike about this car (below). And for someone that can find something to complain about even in perfection that is a lot to say. It is simply comfortable and more than plenty power for me AND most driving regular roads and streets. I have gone over the options I chose for the car, and I can't think of a single thing I think I over did it on or that now that I have it I see it wasn't worth having. The opposite is true as well. Haven't seen anything yet that I'd say I should have gotten differently. Matter of fact, I have gone into the configurator a couple of times, and have done the car a couple of times. In the end, it was exactly the same car. I even tried coupe vs Cabriolet, and while having them side by side on the screen, I'd still pick the cabriolet. By the way, have had the top down more times already than I thought in reality I would.

*Dislike/hiccup:

PCM interaction and connection to Porsche Connect Services. 2 weeks into it, and their network still doesn't recognize the car being "alive". Have spent ridiculous amount of time trying to see if there is something on my end I am not doing right, went back to the dealership and had them play with it, and even emailed Porsche with details and screen shots. Later talked to a service rep online about it. Bottom line is "it's not the car or my settings. Porsche's network has some serious issues and they are working on it". I am told eventually it will come alive without signs or reasons. I had a MB S550 a couple of years back, and they offered a similar product with live tracking of the car's position, lock/unlock, etc. I called to activate it and within a couple min the car, the app, and MB were all playing nice and talking. We will see later..............

Last edited by dgasmd; 01-12-2021 at 11:36 AM.
craig66 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 12:27 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by dgasmd
Brief update.

Almost 2 weeks into it, and I am yet to find but a single thing I dislike about this car (below). And for someone that can find something to complain about even in perfection that is a lot to say. It is simply comfortable and more than plenty power for me AND most driving regular roads and streets. I have gone over the options I chose for the car, and I can't think of a single thing I think I over did it on or that now that I have it I see it wasn't worth having. The opposite is true as well. Haven't seen anything yet that I'd say I should have gotten differently. Matter of fact, I have gone into the configurator a couple of times, and have done the car a couple of times. In the end, it was exactly the same car. I even tried coupe vs Cabriolet, and while having them side by side on the screen, I'd still pick the cabriolet. By the way, have had the top down more times already than I thought in reality I would.

*Dislike/hiccup:

PCM interaction and connection to Porsche Connect Services. 2 weeks into it, and their network still doesn't recognize the car being "alive". Have spent ridiculous amount of time trying to see if there is something on my end I am not doing right, went back to the dealership and had them play with it, and even emailed Porsche with details and screen shots. Later talked to a service rep online about it. Bottom line is "it's not the car or my settings. Porsche's network has some serious issues and they are working on it". I am told eventually it will come alive without signs or reasons. I had a MB S550 a couple of years back, and they offered a similar product with live tracking of the car's position, lock/unlock, etc. I called to activate it and within a couple min the car, the app, and MB were all playing nice and talking. We will see later..............
I once walked into an OfficeMax to replace a scanner that no longer worked properly after a lot of time spent trying to get it to work. I asked the greeter where they were and he said: “You’re using an Apple OS aren’t you?”. I was about the 30th person who’d come in for a scanner for the same reason so they eventually figured out it was an Apple bug. He said Apple doesn’t tell anyone there’s a bug affecting performance even though they know their customers are wasting time not knowing that’s the problem. I asked what I should do and he said just be patient, Apple will slip in a fix in the middle of the night without telling anyone, that’s how they do it. And that’s exactly how it played out.

Maybe Porsche recruited programmers from Apple.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:05 PM
dgasmd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
I asked what I should do and he said just be patient, Apple will slip in a fix in the middle of the night without telling anyone, that’s how they do it. And that’s exactly how it played out.

Maybe Porsche recruited programmers from Apple.
😂😂😂
May be the case, who knows. To be fair, the manager at the dealership just got a turbo S the same date as me. His worked for a day, and then dead since. He doesn’t have an iPhone! Tons of their current customers that have gotten cars in the last month plus are with the same issue.

Maybe Porsche will soon realize it was the Apple engineers and move to hemorrhoid, I mean, Android engineers😂😂

Last edited by dgasmd; 01-12-2021 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:52 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dgasmd
😂😂😂
May be the case, who knows. To be fair, the manager at the dealership just got a turbo S the same date as me. His worked for a day, and then dead since. He doesn’t have an iPhone! Tons of their current customers that have gotten cars in the last month plus are with the same issue.

Maybe Porsche will soon realize it was the Apple engineers and move to hemorrhoid, I mean, Android engineers😂😂
Are you talking this interface via MyPorsche? ​​​​​​Mine is working fine...did you put your pairing code shown on your home page of MyPorsche into your PCM/APPS area?

EDIT...Or do you mean the Porsche Connect App on phone? I get "No connection to the PCM" for Connection Status...but My Vehicle still shows all kinds of car status.

Last edited by gohawks23; 01-12-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:18 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

^ I’ve never seen that page before in my life.

Tech stresses me out. If our car had less tech, I’d be happier. Fewer things that could go wrong.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:10 AM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ I’ve never seen that page before in my life.

Tech stresses me out. If our car had less tech, I’d be happier. Fewer things that could go wrong.
​​​​​​I was an electronics design engineer for many years and in the tech industry my whole career so I'm relatively good at figuring this kind of stuff out...ha
Old 01-13-2021, 01:23 AM
dgasmd
Instructor

Originally Posted by gohawks23
Are you talking this interface via MyPorsche? ​​​​​​Mine is working fine...did you put your pairing code shown on your home page of MyPorsche into your PCM/APPS area?

EDIT...Or do you mean the Porsche Connect App on phone? I get "No connection to the PCM" for Connection Status...but My Vehicle still shows all kinds of car status ever .
never seen that page and I meant both.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:10 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice write up. The only part I do not like are the rectangular exhaust tips. I would have gone for the nice oval ones.
dgasmd (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 09:10 AM
craig66
Pro

Originally Posted by michaelo
Nice write up. The only part I do not like are the rectangular exhaust tips. I would have gone for the nice oval ones.
Oval ones cost $2900 as part of the PSE and OP obviously felt that that was not a direction he wanted to go. Another options is the quad S exhausts at $900. As always appearance is in the eye of the beholder. Many love the rectangular ones and feel that the oval looks strange
dgasmd (01-13-2021)

Quick Reply: 2021 Carrera Cabriolet. New owner, first impressions and intro