Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who annoys you the most... on the road

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 09:49 AM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Besides all of the above, am I the ONLY one who despises Volvo drivers? It's been my sad experience that most of them NEED a highly rated safe car since they have NO driving skills whatsoever. I even had one, in Cincinnati, who almost hit me while I was parked in the SERVICE BAY!

But the most irritating ones are the left lane constipation drivers, who clog up traffic because they need to make a left turn at the ocean (remember I'm in TN).
Old 12-30-2020, 09:55 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
Besides all of the above, am I the ONLY one who despises Volvo drivers? It's been my sad experience that most of them NEED a highly rated safe car since they have NO driving skills whatsoever. I even had one, in Cincinnati, who almost hit me while I was parked in the SERVICE BAY!

But the most irritating ones are the left lane constipation drivers, who clog up traffic because they need to make a left turn at the ocean (remember I'm in TN).
Nope, you’re not the only one. Volvo drivers get special treatment in Australia for the very reasons you mention. But then, we had a V70 2.4T wagon so ... it was a great car! Plenty of power, built so well and really comfortable. Did some great road trips in that car.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:00 AM
NorthRoad
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cars on country roads that go 10 km/hr under the speed limit... until there’s a passing lane. Then they speed up over the limit on the clear straightaway. That’s why I got a Porsche. Pass them as quickly and safely as possible.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:02 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey!! I take offense at that. Im 73 and still drive like I’m 25. Kidding, no offense. Ive been in Many high speed runs, mostly in traffic when i was in a Blk/ White, with lights and siren.
The following 3 users liked this post by Pmorritt:
aggie57 (12-30-2020), kwikit356 (01-01-2021), LC200 (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 01:14 PM
xmlguy
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 17 Posts

For me its folks weaving in and out of traffic. I tense up just waiting for the accident to happen 50 yards in front of me.

My wife would say "Toyotas". And really for her it's all Toyotas, but especially Priuses
Old 12-30-2020, 01:33 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthRoad
Cars on country roads that go 10 km/hr under the speed limit... until there’s a passing lane. Then they speed up over the limit on the clear straightaway. That’s why I got a Porsche. Pass them as quickly and safely as possible.
My problem with that is it always happens on a curvy or hilly road where I can never safely rule out oncoming traffic in order to pass them.

Stuck in slow poke purgatory in a Porsche
The following 2 users liked this post by Tupper:
LC200 (12-30-2020), NorthRoad (12-30-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 12:10 AM
MarkerGT01
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 21 Posts

Drivers who I *think* are trying to race me.

I don’t know street racing etiquette... is acting like a total a-hole on a crowded public road the correct way to invite someone to a street race? Like stomping on the gas then slamming on your brakes or hanging out in my blind spot.

That said, one guy in a Challenger pulled up next to me the other day just to give me a thumbs up. Kinda made my day.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:25 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 500 Likes on 221 Posts

One category that drives me nuts and is seldom mentioned is the middle lane driver cruising 5-10 miles below the speed limited. We focus on L lanehogs but the middle lane cruiser actually leads to more lane shifts I believe. Traveling the NJ turnpike the middle lane hogs can drive ones nuts. The R lane is usually empty and the L lane flowing and the middle lane hogs necessitate everyone going around them on either the L or R side.
The following users liked this post:
NorthRoad (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 10:22 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 468 Likes on 298 Posts

people who do not accelerate (slowly creep) while merging onto the highway on an onramp while I am blasting in the right lane. they just dont get it
Old 01-01-2021, 01:55 AM
akhbhaat
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 74 Posts

It's a tie between people who cruise in or block the passing lane, and people who attempt to merge onto the highway at 10 or even 20 (yes, 20) under. Shockingly routine problem where I live...and given how fast modern cars are, there's absolutely no excuse.

Last edited by akhbhaat; 01-01-2021 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:33 AM
LC200
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
It's a tie between people who cruise in or block the passing lane, and people who attempt to merge onto the highway at 10 or even 20 (yes, 20) under. Shockingly routine problem where I live...and given how fast modern cars are, there's absolutely no excuse.
it’s because people just don’t care.

I just relax and go with it.

Always fun to see the guy going 30 over the limit one car length ahead when you pull off a ramp and have to wait for a light.
Tanqueray86 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 03:01 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 419 Posts

Drivers trying to find a destination who just....stop. They don’t pull over to the side of the road, they just stop until they can decide what to do. It doesn’t matter how many cars are behind them waiting. They’re why surface to surface missiles should be an option in cars.
kwikit356 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 03:18 PM
hrd
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
One category that drives me nuts and is seldom mentioned is the middle lane driver cruising 5-10 miles below the speed limited. We focus on L lanehogs but the middle lane cruiser actually leads to more lane shifts I believe. Traveling the NJ turnpike the middle lane hogs can drive ones nuts. The R lane is usually empty and the L lane flowing and the middle lane hogs necessitate everyone going around them on either the L or R side.
Last time I was on that road, it was scary how fast cars were going. When you're driving cross-country, you get used to a certain amount above the speed limit, but then you get to the NJ turnpike and it's very crowded and cars are going 80 and up.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:35 PM
Jon35
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by hrd
Last time I was on that road, it was scary how fast cars were going. When you're driving cross-country, you get used to a certain amount above the speed limit, but then you get to the NJ turnpike and it's very crowded and cars are going 80 and up.
80 and up????? That must have been a really really slow day.

I am waiting for the day that EZ pass sends me a letter asking me how it is physically possible that I got on at exit X and got off at exit Y barely K minutes later (X, Y and K) used to protect the innocent or is that guilty.

If the Turnpike surprises you then never try the Parkway (E/W corridor from SE Jersey to NW Jersey. At least the turnpike is sort of set up for orderly flow with few on and off ramps. Parkway is a zoo.

But then again this is the NE - life runs a little quicker.

Actually I do not like driving the highways as the driving is somewhat boring and to feel the power and finess of our cars you really need to gun it. I prefer local roads that allow more driving variability

Old 01-01-2021, 04:19 PM
hrd
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So many times the NJ roads were parking lots that I started taking 287 to go south. Changed that to 287 to 202/206 and cutting through Princeton then over to 95 and passing by Philadelphia. One time, I think I was looking for a more southern entrance to 202, or maybe it was 206, but I had to take an earlier one because because 287 was a parking lot just south of the exit I took. Another time, the traffic on 206 going down to Princeton was so heavy I figured I must have lost time overall. That was when I lived in Boston and drove down to Virginia Beach or NC. Now I live in NC and when I drive north to Boston I take the longer but likely faster 81 to 84 to avoid the DC traffic and MD and NJ.

Quick Reply: Who annoys you the most... on the road