Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Charge-o-mat doesn't maintain...why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 06:11 PM
Potsy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Krauss
I also have suggestion. If you have the slightest worry about your battery going dead in storage for any reason (including trickle charger failure) do yourself a favor and keep the hood slightly open. If your battery dies, getting the hood open is a PITA because you need power to open it. I had to use jumpers cables from my truck battery. A jump pack may work, but mine is on the boat (same issue, different vehicle).
Great idea. I've had to open the frunk a few times via jumping the darn fuse box by driver footwell. What a pain.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:16 AM
911cat
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like the Charge o mat for the 992 can only be used with the alligator clips now. This is from Suncoast: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/skucharger2.html

Specific Notes (updated):
  • 981, 991, & 718 - For 2013-2021 Boxster or Cayman, & 2013-2019 911 Carrera models: Long term storage can put these cars in "Sleep Mode", which will disable the center console plug socket and shut off the battery maintainer. To bypass this, lock the door after setting up the battery maintainer. Or directly connect the battery maintainer to the recommended charging points using the optional alligator clips.
  • Macan - "**" Macan models can't be charged at the 12 volt plugs inside the car. To bypass this, visit your local Porsche dealer and they can code your Macan to accept a battery maintainer. Or purchase the additional battery clamps and charge the battery directly.
  • 992 - For 2020 or newer 911 models, you must use the included clamps to charge at the battery directly
For what its worth, I have the AGM battery in my 992 and I am using the CTEK via the 12V inside socket. Seems to working.

Last edited by 911cat; 11-14-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:25 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 331 Likes on 195 Posts

I have the dedicated CTEK lithium charger. As I don't do many long runs in the car, I thought I might be susceptible to the dreaded dead battery syndrome. My solution was to hard wire the CTEK to the battery and ground post, ad the CTEK extension, and run the plug to a place just under the right rear lip of the frunk lid. Used cable ties and a bit of velcro to make the install tidy. No need to plug into the 12V receptacle in the passenger foot well, no need to open the frunk, no fear that I won't be able to bring a dead battery to life w/o emergency door key and jump the fuse box. The CTEK extension has a nice rubber plug to seal the contacts when not in use and the charger can be set up to bring a battery that's below it's drop dead threshold back to life. It's also cheaper than the Porsche unit and doesn't need to be told what it's charging.
The following users liked this post:
Zakato70 (11-21-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 06:35 PM
Mikster
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by F8Driver
I have the dedicated CTEK lithium charger. As I don't do many long runs in the car, I thought I might be susceptible to the dreaded dead battery syndrome. My solution was to hard wire the CTEK to the battery and ground post, ad the CTEK extension, and run the plug to a place just under the right rear lip of the frunk lid. Used cable ties and a bit of velcro to make the install tidy. No need to plug into the 12V receptacle in the passenger foot well, no need to open the frunk, no fear that I won't be able to bring a dead battery to life w/o emergency door key and jump the fuse box. The CTEK extension has a nice rubber plug to seal the contacts when not in use and the charger can be set up to bring a battery that's below drop dead threshold back to life. It's also cheaper than the Porsche unit and doesn't need to be told what it's charging.

I’m trying to picture this “right rear lip” location. Is that peeking up near the drivers side windshield and wipers?
M
Old 11-14-2022, 08:20 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Originally Posted by Mikster
I’m trying to picture this “right rear lip” location. Is that peeking up near the drivers side windshield and wipers?
M
Car is left hand drive. Passenger side, right side, which is next to wall in my garage. It could be done just as easily done to left side (Driver US, Passenger UK). There was another post with a very slick receptacle in the grill. I think my solution is almost as elegant, and more convenient. Try to post photos soon. I’ve got several for various rennlist threads.
Old 11-16-2022, 03:50 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Here are a couple pics.

The following users liked this post:
Mikster (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 04:13 PM
Mikster
Racer

^^^ That's pretty slick! Inspired!

M
Old 11-21-2022, 07:13 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Amazing how many of us have problems with these chargers. I gave up using the connection in the passenger footwell Does anyone know how to get an adapter with eyelets to connect directly to the battery? Would like to just screw them on and leave the battery cover on. Not comfortable hoping the alligator clips are still connected when I leave the car for a length of time. I bought a Ctek lithium charger with eyelets for my GT3 because I am storing it in a warehouse but would like not to have to buy another Ctek for my C4S when I already have two porsche charge-o-mats in the garage. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:20 PM
Mikster
Racer

Originally Posted by enzom
Amazing how many of us have problems with these chargers. I gave up using the connection in the passenger footwell Does anyone know how to get an adapter with eyelets to connect directly to the battery? Would like to just screw them on and leave the battery cover on. Not comfortable hoping the alligator clips are still connected when I leave the car for a length of time. I bought a Ctek lithium charger with eyelets for my GT3 because I am storing it in a warehouse but would like not to have to buy another Ctek for my C4S when I already have two porsche charge-o-mats in the garage. Thanks.
I've been looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/SPARKING-Cigarette-Lighter-Terminals-Extension/dp/B07RMH3R8P/ref=sr_1_1?crid=17EREVGIP8P3N&keywords=B07RMH3R8P&qid=1669072806&sprefix=b07rmh3r8p%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-1 https://www.amazon.com/SPARKING-Cigarette-Lighter-Terminals-Extension/dp/B07RMH3R8P/ref=sr_1_1?crid=17EREVGIP8P3N&keywords=B07RMH3R8P&qid=1669072806&sprefix=b07rmh3r8p%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-1

M
Old 11-21-2022, 07:37 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Folks this isn’t that difficult it’s not brain surgery don’t over think it wire to the battery however, you think it’s best, I used someone’s diagram from this board positive to the battery negative to someplace else. I can’t remember right now run it up through the cowling…boom done. I’ve been doing that now for three of my 911s works great tucks, in nobody sees it. I get home from work plug it in. I have a charger mounted near the front of the car on the wall.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:42 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

Just took delivery of one but with a shorter cable. Just need to find the time to install it. Hopefully I don’t need to replace the ring terminals.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:00 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by F8Driver
Car is left hand drive. Passenger side, right side, which is next to wall in my garage. It could be done just as easily done to left side (Driver US, Passenger UK). There was another post with a very slick receptacle in the grill. I think my solution is almost as elegant, and more convenient. Try to post photos soon. I’ve got several for various rennlist threads.
I keep the charger in the trunk. I leave the trunk lid ajar when charging. Throw the leads in the trunk after disconnecting.
I'm using a Schumacher 3A maintainer that retails for $47 at Walmart.
I have the pigtail connected directly to the battery leads.
I've had no problems after a year.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:40 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 827 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikster
M

I use NOCO trickle charger with a permanent pigtail connection.

The car sat for 4 months this summer while we were away on vacation.

The car started up no problem when we returned.

Old 11-26-2022, 07:31 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks. For the price it is worth a try.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:23 PM
Mikster
Racer

Originally Posted by enzom
Thanks. For the price it is worth a try.
Turns out it works like a charm.
I’ll post pics shortly.
M

Quick Reply: Porsche Charge-o-mat doesn't maintain...why?