Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Charge-o-mat doesn't maintain...why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 01:06 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
I see that you run your wire under the passenger door. Some of the Porsche service people recommend instead to open up the window a bit and run the wire through that opening.

What’s been your experience doing it your way? I worry about damaging the wire or the rubber seals of the doors. But I have to admit, your way seems like it’s far more convenient.
I’ve never had an issue. If you have a close look.. the metal is indented on the door jam and there is also a notch cutout on the seal under the door. I route the cable along that section of the door. Has worked trouble free for years & definitely prefer it over routing the wire through a cracked window.
The following users liked this post:
KLOC (11-13-2022)
Old 12-23-2020, 06:37 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Potsy
Is there a certain order of events required to keep the Porsche tender working?
After shutting off your engine, how quickly are you attaching the CoM? And does the power light flash or on solid? If a flash, perhaps you aren't attaching quickly enough as the manual says to attach within two minutes.

I use a CTEK Lithium US and do the following: 1. Plug into the 12V cig port in the center console; 2. Plug CTEK into the wall outlet; 3. Turn motor off. Works every time.

Old 01-01-2021, 06:44 PM
Potsy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried those steps last winter and the CoM would only stay lit up for 30 mins to 2 days. Super frustrating, especially when so many others are having same problems with what should be such a simple plug and play. Dealership is great, but they don't have any ideas other than alligator clips.....which worked for a few days and now i'm back to the same problem. I've resigned myself to calling the dealer in the spring and having them assess the battery's health. Have had battery shut down on me a few times even after driving it a few days prior.
KLOC (11-13-2022)
Old 01-01-2021, 06:59 PM
Potsy
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply - especially as I followed those steps last month when putting away the 992 for winter. The CoM was looking great and I was super happy for a few days....and then all i now have is the green light that shows the device is on. No button lit up to show full battery. I often hit the mode button to get the Lithium ion light turned on and then i see the light at the lowest battery level lit up, and then sometimes the next battery stage lights up for a few minutes -- but then it all shuts off. So it's trying to do its thing, but it can't keep maintaining. If it wasn't a 911, i'd surely dump the car and find something else that can be driven in the winter and not cause this annoyance after babying it so much with ceramic coating, clear bra, hand wash, much TLC, etc...
KLOC (11-13-2022)
Old 01-01-2021, 07:03 PM
Potsy
Rennlist Member

And jealous your passenger footwell holds a charge. That was my headache last year and I read of many others who couldn't get the connection to sustain itself. Wish i knew the secret to keeping the connection via 12v adapter. Think I tried all of the various suggested steps to "fool" the car so it wouldn't halt that power flow thru that power port.....but none of them worked. Misery loves company with the 992 as there were so many folks having same issue.

Love to hear your step by step trick.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:05 PM
Potsy
Rennlist Member

Yes, the 12 volt adapter was a Dec 2019 headache. And i've graduated to alligator clip not working a Dec 2020 headache.

I'd bet $50 that it's the CoM not working correctly.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:28 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

I'd bet $50 that it's the CoM not working correctly.
I hate to see you waste money but buy the $97 CTEK Lithium US charger. And if you don't already have the cig adapter, it's another $14. Both are on Amazon.
KLOC (11-13-2022)
Old 01-02-2021, 12:25 PM
Bronco911
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default More questions

potsy, looking back through your posts I don’t see a battery type mentioned. Is it a lithium or the standard battery? Second, can you try the CoM on a different vehicle? Another car or lawn tractor? To clear up info on the CoM.....those lights up top don’t show the state of charge. Step 1 only checks to see if the battery is hooked up correctly. Step 2 is a conditioning step. Step 3 is kinda like a load test. Step 4.....the green light up top....means the battery is getting a charge and the unit can remain like that until you need the car.

Thanks for the reply - especially as I followed those steps last month when putting away the 992 for winter. The CoM was looking great and I was super happy for a few days....and then all i now have is the green light that shows the device is on. No button lit up to show full battery. I often hit the mode button to get the Lithium ion light turned on and then i see the light at the lowest battery level lit up, and then sometimes the next battery stage lights up for a few minutes -- but then it all shuts off. So it's trying to do its thing, but it can't keep maintaining. If it wasn't a 911, i'd surely dump the car and find something else that can be driven in the winter and not cause this annoyance after babying it so much with ceramic coating, clear bra, hand wash, much TLC, etc...
Old 01-26-2022, 10:09 PM
Bill Krauss
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the bottom line for me. I have the CTEK Lithium and the Porsche Charge-o-mat pro. The 12V cigarette adapter is the Achilles heel of the Porsche charge o mat pro. I suspect this works for some people because the connection between the 12V cigarette lighter adapter maintains a good connection when it's plugged in the footwell 12V socket or into the alligator clips (not a great design by the way). For other people, like me, the 12 V adapter routinely fails to keep a connection. This is probably because with time it loosens up (metal tabs on the adapter fatigue) or the spring loaded central pin pushes the adapter loose over time. In either case, it fails to keep a connection and shuts down the charger. The CTEK and the Nocco do not rely on a 12V cigarette adapter as the main connection between the charger and the car. They have modular Molex type connectors between the charger unit and the leads going to the car. How do I know? My CTEK works perfectly whether plugged into the footwell or clipped directly to the battery. The design of the CTEK 12V adapter is a little bit better than the charge o mat. My charge-o-mat works for maybe five minutes when I use the adapter with the alligator clips. Then, it fails. But, if I rework the male 12V cigarette adapter into the female receptacle, it fixes the loose connection and starts charging. I've read all the posts about the footwell outlet powering down, etc. That happened with my charge o mat pro when it was working better; it's never happened with my CTEK. The Nocco Genius 10 looks pretty good also.

Last edited by Bill Krauss; 01-26-2022 at 10:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Krauss:
bobblehead (01-27-2022), KLOC (11-13-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 10:40 PM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Is there any problem leaving the Charge o Mat in regular mode on a lithium battery? For some reason, when I put it into Li-on mode, it never stays on, but if I leave it on regular lead acid battery mode, it stays on. I noticed that it gets quite hot though.

Old 10-22-2022, 10:21 AM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 199 Posts

I've read many posts concerning Li batteries losing charge over a relatively short period of time (as others have noted, the security system and wifi connections drain power continuously). Bought a CTEK Li unit and its extension adapter. Hard wired the terminal connectors to the battery positive and chassis ground (horrible design for permanent attachment ... probably intentional), routed the wiring to a position under the right frunk lip with a little velcro to keep it in place. Now, I can charge when required w/o unlocking the car or opening the frunk and removing the plastic cover.
Smirnoff67 (10-22-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 10:28 PM
Bill Krauss
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have suggestion. If you have the slightest worry about your battery going dead in storage for any reason (including trickle charger failure) do yourself a favor and keep the hood slightly open. If your battery dies, getting the hood open is a PITA because you need power to open it. I had to use jumpers cables from my truck battery. A jump pack may work, but mine is on the boat (same issue, different vehicle).

Last edited by Bill Krauss; 11-08-2022 at 10:44 PM.
Smirnoff67 (11-13-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 10:39 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Krauss
I also have suggestion. If you have the slightest worry about your battery going dead in storage for any reason (including trickle charger favor) do yourself a favor and keep the hood slightly open. If your battery dies, getting the hood open is a PITA because you need power to open it. I had to use jumpers cables from my truck battery. A jump pack may work, but mine is on the boat (same issue, different vehicle).
Good point. That's why I have my terminal positioned where frunk opening is not required. CTEK has a mode where if the battery is in its dead mode, you can still charge. Love this car, but compared to my Bimmer coupe, it's electrical systems are a PITA.
Old 11-08-2022, 11:37 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

I have the tequipment and NOCO.
The latter is far superior in the sense that if there's an energy failure as you're out on vacation, it restarts the last mode.
The tequipment, even if working properly, resets to standby.
My cayenne is at the shop for near 6 weeks as they cannot figure it out why the BMS or the battery resets the charger to standby.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:10 PM
Potsy
Rennlist Member

Yes, it's very frustrating that it doesn't stay on Li-on mode for me either. I wish i had a solution. I'm afraid to leave it on lead acid battery mode......i'm not an engineer, so not sure if there's risk of damage or not.

Quick Reply: Porsche Charge-o-mat doesn't maintain...why?