992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery Sound...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 02:41 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Mystery Sound...

So, I've had my fair share of weird rattles and creaks with this car (2020 992 CS) already. Luckily the dealership has been able to fix most of them after several visits.

The latest of them continues to be a great mystery, and I am hoping that someone out there would have had the same issue and could shed some light into it...

The noise started after my Bose speaker element had been replaced and it comes from the drive's side door somewhere around the speaker element area. It's a very strange clatter or jangle that comes and goes. Almost as if a piece of metal was hitting against another piece with a relatively high frequency. The dealership has now already twice told me that they've fixed it. Well...they haven't. I believe what they've done, after they've been unable to find the source of the noise, is that they've just added some further insulating material inside the door panel and that's it. The noise remains. Surely, they've already checked that the speaker element is correctly in place and not causing the sound.

Anyone had the same? What the heck is it, and how to fix it?
Old 12-19-2020, 03:01 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Perhaps when they replaced the speaker they left something in there or broke something else.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:40 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

My advice:

Unless you have a major problem, don’t have them fix anything. They will only introduce more problems.

My passenger seat rattles over bumps when it’s empty.

When I push the throttle hard a panel somewhere on the right rear of the car makes a “fizzy” sound, probably due to the sheer power of the engine coming through.

I don’t plan to fix any of these things because I know that every fix comes with 2 new problems.

Just my own 2 cents on the matter.

Last edited by Tupper; 12-19-2020 at 06:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tupper:
dribar (12-20-2020), PBM (12-19-2020), TheGreatJ (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 06:30 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by lucycan
Perhaps when they replaced the speaker they left something in there or broke something else.
Yeah, this was the first obvious thought, but they've now checked it twice and claim that there's nothing broken, loose nor wrong!
Old 12-20-2020, 06:34 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by Tupper
My advice:

Unless you have a major problem, don’t have them fix anything. They will only introduce more problems.

My passenger seat rattles over bumps when it’s empty.

When I push the throttle hard a panel somewhere on the right rear of the car makes a “fizzy” sound, probably due to the sheer power of the engine coming through.

I don’t plan to fix any of these things because I know that every fix comes with 2 new problems.

Just my own 2 cents on the matter.
True, mostly agree with this strategy, although sometimes there are things that you just need to get fixed. The infamous Bose rattle was annoying enough on its own that it needed to be addressed. Unfortunately the result was this new annoying noise.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:22 AM
nuporsche
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

I too have some sort of "fizzy" noise coming from the rear passenger side. Ive read in a previous post of the sunroof producing a noise. I can't locate it because I'm driving but I need one of those stethoscopes to chase it down and someone small enough to ride in the back to trace it.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:53 AM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
Yeah, this was the first obvious thought, but they've now checked it twice and claim that there's nothing broken, loose nor wrong!
One option might be to get them to relook but insist on bieng there when they take off the panel so you can run your hands around the components and see all is tight...
The following users liked this post:
TheGreatJ (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 07:26 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by craig66
One option might be to get them to relook but insist on bieng there when they take off the panel so you can run your hands around the components and see all is tight...
Thanks for the idea, @craig66 ! I think this might be the way to go. I also wonder, whether the Bose element that they put in to replace the old one could be somehow faulty and thus creating the noise. One would think that they would backtrack their previous actions at the dealerships, so that other reasons could be ruled out. If it's only the new Bose element left that was changed, then it must be it. (Perhaps they don't even believe me that the noise wasn't there before. At least, similar attitude seems to be surprisingly common when I try to describe some issue that they don't have an answer to.) However, difficult to deduce as a complete outsider at this stage.

So far, I've had some noises fixed from the roof/moonroof area, rear-view mirror, another sound from inside the drive's door. I wouldn't say that I'm a very picky person, but there are just so many sonant things in this car that shouldn't be there.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:27 PM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Hope you got the stray noises rectified. I had a blown L driver’s side speaker ( Bose , 992 C2S) and that was obvious - distortion and odd crackles that disappeared when radio was muted.
Speaker was replaced and a new noise was introduced from L driver’s side door. A rattle
that increased with acceleration and was more
obvious when car was cold for whatever reason. No connection to radio and rattle remained after radio muted. They looked inside the door panel and found a loose black plastic panel near the speaker. They replaced it and bam - no more rattles. Mechanic took a video for me but just said “it’s this black plastic panel “. It wasn’t reattached properly when initial speaker work was done. They didn’t say that , I did. Bose kinda blows and I miss Burmester in my now traded in 991.1. Maybe this is what’s going on ?
The following users liked this post:
TheGreatJ (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 05:28 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by AKB991
Hope you got the stray noises rectified. I had a blown L driver’s side speaker ( Bose , 992 C2S) and that was obvious - distortion and odd crackles that disappeared when radio was muted.
Speaker was replaced and a new noise was introduced from L driver’s side door. A rattle
that increased with acceleration and was more
obvious when car was cold for whatever reason. No connection to radio and rattle remained after radio muted. They looked inside the door panel and found a loose black plastic panel near the speaker. They replaced it and bam - no more rattles. Mechanic took a video for me but just said “it’s this black plastic panel “. It wasn’t reattached properly when initial speaker work was done. They didn’t say that , I did. Bose kinda blows and I miss Burmester in my now traded in 991.1. Maybe this is what’s going on ?
Thanks, @AKB991 . This sounds (no pun intended) 100 % exactly the same as the sound in my car. In a similar fashion, it also becomes more obvious when the car is cold. So strange, why that would have any effect on it.. The car is a currently at the dealership once again and I told them what you told me. Let's see what happens this time.

Quick Reply: Mystery Sound...