Sponsored by:

Best time to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020 | 05:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amelen
I know it's subjective, but I'm not necessarily in a rush, so just considering if there is a better time to buy. I know at the start of COVID (April, May), dealerships were in panic mode and were doing 15% off new cars on the lot. Now is probably the opposite with inventory very tight throughout the country. Aside from those factors, is there a better time of the year to buy either off the lot or put a build order in?
Well, if you're buying off the lot, the best time to buy is when you find the right car -- i.e., the car you would have spec'd if you were ordering one from the dealer.

If you're ordering one, I think the best time to buy is when you have the funds ready to go. Sure, you can wait for Covid to pass and the vaccine to percolate through society, but who knows when that'll be. And we all thought that the pandemic would be downward pressure on car sales, but the exact opposite occurred. In other words, trying to time the Porsche 992 market by accounting for external factors is a bit like a fool's errand, with the fool being led by another fool.

Waiting around trying to time the market means only one thing. One less day to enjoy your new car.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (11-21-2020), craig66 (11-20-2020), mikey94025 (11-22-2020)

Quick Reply: Best time to buy?